my newest bike in the stable

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

my newest bike in the stable

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Technically I didnt find it in a barn but........
I got this little bike from a friend that used to ride it, he had it stored in his basement for many years. It needs only minor touch ups and a good carb cleaning. It even has the original 36 year old front tire on it still(think I might change it out before I ride it)
I do need to find a new left side cover, a rear turn signal and a reflector for the lower triple tree.

Heres a pic of the odometer :shock: :o :shock: and yes that is all the kilometers it has on it........hehehehehe :lol:

Here is the bike,its a 1977 suzuki gt550 two stroke triple. It may not be another Wing but it should be fun once I give it a going over. 8-)

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: my newest bike in the stable

Postby redial » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:25 pm

I rode one of those, back in the late 70s. They became unpopular when the middle cylinder would seize up from getting too hot, but I never had trouble with mine. The good thing about them was that although they were 2-stroke engines, you added the oil to a different tank, and the system took care of mixing it correctly with the petrol/gasolene. It use to fly! I think I maxed it one day, and only time, in first at 80Km/h. The generator was the only thing that went bad on it, but you did have to keep the exhaust pipes clean by taking out the inner, and burning off the junk that accumulated - mainly oil from the engine mix.

I trust you enjoy your ride, as much as I did. I once rode it 600Km in the pouring rain, and the bike was naked. By about 400Km I was ready to give it up, as I was soaked through, and the wind chill was starting to get to me. I really like the Suzi 550, but dont know that I would go back to one now. I seem to have grown used to the creature comforts that a GW provides.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I Interstate (current)
Previously Owned:
1981 CB 750 Custom
1976 CB 750 Super Sport (punched to 900)
1986 Kawasaki 440 LTD
1974 Suzuki 550
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600 (First Street Bike-way back in '88)

Postby 80-GL100-INT » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:10 am

I had a '74 in "Hawaii Green", 2nd bike i owned and a big change from the Ninja I had recently sold. It was a lot heavier, not as fast, but just as much fun nonetheless. I never had any trouble with the mid. cylinder either but it was a hard starter till it was warm, usually took 25-30 kicks when cold but always started w/1 or 2 when warm.

Nice find...Enjoy it and ride safe.
If "WE THE PEOPLE" don't defend our rights...Who will?
"Government's first duty is protect the people, not run their lives."...Ronald Reagan

Motorcycle: 1989 Vmax

Postby captainkyle » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:33 am

Cool ! I like them old bikes. My older brother had the 380 I used to ride from time to time.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”