Barn Find

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
seasicksid
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Barn Find

Postby seasicksid » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:09 am

Hi All
Just found this site and have already gained knowledge.
I'm new to Gold wings. I came across my 1984 Interstate 1200 buried in an out building, where it had stood for four years after the previous owner became ill. Think I'll call the bike "Christine" On getting it home I did a few checks, changed oil, petrol and water, put a little oil in the cylinders. Turned it over by hand a few times, then connected it up. Bit of petrol in the intake and she started up. Ticks over smooth. Happy as Larry. Found a petrol leak, so stopped further progress till new pipe kit arrives. I'm intending to completely restore this bike to its former glory. I've done a few bikes in the past but not one as detailed as the Wing. I'm hoping you guys will help me through this new endeavor.

The air suspension has no switches to adjust it. I'm guessing its been set in one position then disconnected, and the switches removed. Can the rear air shocks be replaced by conventional spring shocks?

Cheers.. Sid

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Barn Find

Postby dingdong » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:52 am

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a great find. Christine, good choice for her name. One of my favorite old cars. 58 Plymouth.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:11 am

seasicksid wrote:Hi All
Just found this site and have already gained knowledge.
I'm new to Gold wings. I came across my 1984 Interstate 1200 buried in an out building, where it had stood for four years after the previous owner became ill. Think I'll call the bike "Christine" On getting it home I did a few checks, changed oil, petrol and water, put a little oil in the cylinders. Turned it over by hand a few times, then connected it up. Bit of petrol in the intake and she started up. Ticks over smooth. Happy as Larry. Found a petrol leak, so stopped further progress till new pipe kit arrives. I'm intending to completely restore this bike to its former glory. I've done a few bikes in the past but not one as detailed as the Wing. I'm hoping you guys will help me through this new endeavor.

The air suspension has no switches to adjust it. I'm guessing its been set in one position then disconnected, and the switches removed. Can the rear air shocks be replaced by conventional spring shocks?

Cheers.. Sid

Good find.Welcome to the forum from Canada
The Interstate did not come with a built-in compressor for the air shocks.If you remove the righthand side cover you'll see a capped Schrader valve.That is for the rear air shocks.The frt forks may or may not have a fill port on the righthand fork cap.My 84I did have a fill port for the frt,but I don't think they all did.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:33 am

If it has stood for 4 years, I would be looking to change the timing belts before running her again, they are made of rubber and perish with time. They will be well past their best and if they break, you are looking at a very expensive repair bill!!

Welcome to the club and sounds like a great find..

Gary

seasicksid
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Postby seasicksid » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:20 am

Thanks. Timing belts, plugs, oil and filters on their way, plus a starter rebuild kit. Not been this enthusiastic about a bike build before, but the Gold wing has character.

Sid

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:50 am

Welcome, and while you are at it, change the hydraulic fluids. You may have to clean the master cylinders as well if the hydraulics have collected water and gunk.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:13 pm

Hello Seasicsid and welcome to the website from the U.P. of Michigan. I agree with all of the other's advice on maintenance items. You definitely have a great find and with some TLC you will enjoy many miles with many smiles. Ride safe, post a few pictures when you can.
Proud member Patriot Guard

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Postby squirrel » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:13 pm

welcome from just down the road in portsmouth good find the 1200 is a great bike enjoy

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:47 pm

Sounds like a nice find. Good luck with it and welcome from Northern California.
Bill

silverado6x6
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Postby silverado6x6 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:17 am

I have found a couple like that, I suggest you change the oil several times, flush out ALL hydraulic fluids and replace with your preference, mine is Dot 4 brake fluid, Or go pure synthetic but you have to start from a clean dry flushed brake system. Give it a strong dose of Seafoam if you have that stuff over there and let it dissolve that inside fuel crud, actually use Seafoam in an oil change. I kinda like the 1200 engine though starter work is a pain.
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

aladdin
Motorcycle: 1987 Honda GL1200 Aspencade

Postby aladdin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:12 am

seasicksid wrote:Can the rear air shocks be replaced by conventional spring shocks?

I'm interested to know this too. Also, what fork upgrades has anyone here done on a GL1200? I understand the later 1200s are one of the best of the Gold Wings for handling as far as chassis and swing arm, forks etc..go.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”