A view of speed limits

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

A view of speed limits

Postby redial » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:41 pm

The Northern Territory of Australia (NT) has long distances of interesting scenery, but not much else. The distance from the top to the bottom is about 1600 Kms (about 1000 miles) - and if you think Alaska or Canadian NorthWest Territories you have a good comparison. Well, they are reconsidering their speed limits. Until about four years ago, speed limits on the open road were not restricted, except going through villages, and whistle stops called RoadHouses. The government just changed, and they are giving a trial to re-introducing the unrestricted speed limits.

The Federal Government runs ths national road safety program, so they hand out big sums of cash to promote road safety. One of the conditions for the NT was to introduce speed limits on the highways. So the NT Government complied and introduced a 130Km/h (about 75+ MPH) for the main north-south highway, so they could get some of this Federal money. Following the recent NT elections, they agreed to trial the unrestricted speeds on 200 Km (about 125 miles). If it is successful, they will open more stretches up to this "unrestricted" speeds.

In the days when there were no speed limits on the open roads, they used to have a CanonBall Run from Darwin (at the top) to Uluru (Ayre's Rock), at distance of about 2000Km, until a couple of Japanese left the road at some remarkable speed in their Ferrari and killed a couple of spectators (with all that space, why were they so close to the action?). Japanese are not very good in cars, because the maximum speeds that they are used to is about 55Km/h (about 30 mph), so it would be like letting a New Yorker out to play - they might know the game, but are not very good at it! If you plan on coming for a vacation, the rest of Oz is pretty well contained on restricted roads, so the only places you can strap on your lead boots, or your hard twist throttle is in the NT.

Anyway, check out the press release:
Northern Territory - TRIAL TO BEGIN ON REVISED SPEED LIMITS

main points -
The Northern Territory Government has delivered on its election promise to undertake an evidence based investigation into speed limits.
A 200 kilometre stretch of the StuartHighway between Barrow Creek and Alice Springs will undergo a one year trial on revised speed limits from February 1, 2014.
The current limit on that stretch of the Stuart Highway is 130 kph.  That limit will be suspended, for the trial, and there will be no speed limit in operation for that part of the Stuart Highway

Learner and provisional drivers and heavy vehicles will continue to be speed limited as they are now.
... government would also be implementing a new policy for setting speed limits near road houses on major highways.

For information -
the Stuart Highway between Barrow Creek and Alice Springs is undivided; generally well-surfaced; a few hills; not many bends; not many intersections.
Cattle are often seen near the road, which is unfenced.
Plenty of big 'roos, but they're not as suicidal as the ones in Queensland.
Traffic - not much, but there is a high proportion of road trains (upto 57 metres long - about 180 feet with a tractor pulling a B-double and two other trailers) and tourists with caravans.

the southern end of the trial area is 10 km from Alice;  but the Northern end is 1,350 km from Darwin -
so us Top-Enders won't be much affected.

Generally -
  in N.T. -
the speed limit in built-up areas is 50 kph, unless otherwise posted;
the speed limit outside built-up areas is 110 kph, unless otherwise posted;.

Plan your holidays !

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Re: A view of speed limits

Postby twostrokes48 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:31 am

We have one stretch of a toll road here in Texas between San Antonio and the north side of Austin. It is about a 100 mile run. The speed limit is 80mph. Only real problem has been the feral hogs which has caused a number of accidents. I guess eventually they will kill off all the hogs or the drivers that use the toll road, one of the two. Many of the other interstates and hwys in Texas have 75 mph speed limits once you get about 20 miles outside of a city. Of course that means normal speed of cars is between 80 and 85 as everyone always pushes the limit by 5-10mph no matter what the speed limit is. If you don't, you get pushed off the road by tailgaters. That is the main reason I don't like to ride the interstate hwys. An 18 wheeler doing 80 mph right behind me eventually wears on my nerves and although I don't mind running 80mph at times, I don't like to do it when I'm boxed in by cagers.

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:31 am

Here in Pa., the state speed limit is 65 unless the road is in close proximity to a heavier populated area, then it drops to 55. Unposted two lane roads in places like rural areas is 45. Now, if you are one law abiding soul, you better stay in the right lane because you are going to get passed frequently. Most drivers on the interstates travel between 70 and 80. I know for fact that usually the State Police here in the west set their radar at 80 to 85. The law here states that they must give a driver 5 mph for speedometer error, so a speeder shouldn't be pulled over until they are doing 71 or over in a 65. Then you get hit for every mile per hour over 65.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:25 am

In the State I live in, they give you a 4Km/h allowance. So if you are in a 100 Km/h area, they will allow you to get to 104 before they start photographing you, or pulling you over. 4 Km/h is about 2.5 MPH, and they do that just because of potential speedo error. However, some manufacturers set their speedo to be 10% faster than what is actually being achieved. 12 demerit points, and you have a holiday from driving, and sometimes they have a 'special' (like long weekends), where all penalties are doubled. eg if you have two passengers not wearing seat belts, you will lose your licence, as each person not wearing a seat belt can cost you 3 points normally, but doubled at 'specials' means six points each. Also, the money penalties are doubled, so it can get expensive.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:48 am

This has always been a problem for me. When I lived in France the speed limit was 85MPH and just as here, everyone drove about 10mph over the limit. So we were all used to doing ~95MPH whenever we drove on the Freeway. Then I moved to Texas where the limit was 70mph, so I got busted 4 times in 4 years for speeding on the highway (I can't think of anywhere safer to speed!! as the roads where designed for it). Any way after 4 or 5 years I got used to the slower speeds, then I went and moved to Washington where the state limit is 60mph, I have been busted 3 times in 2 years for speeding on the highway!! I have never had any accidents or any other traffic offenses, just speeding. I have driven for more than 30 years no accidents but they they tell me I am a high risk driver as I have speeding tickets!! I believe that if I speed so much and have not had any accidents, I am obviously choosing safe places to speed, I think even the police would agree as they chose to setup their speed traps where they expect people to speed (large open sections of freeway).. Even after 2 years, 60MPH on the freeway feels slightly quicker than driving in Reverse!! I love the USA, but really think they have screwed up the speeding laws.. I loved when Texas announced it was going to increase the limit for rural/remote sections of the highway to 80/85MPH, I wish Washington would do something similar!! It's a mute point really as I WILL be moving back to Texas in another 2 years!!

Gary

Richman2000
Motorcycle: 94 GL1500SE

Postby Richman2000 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:50 pm

he speed limits are designed to be a money making program. The limit is always lower than what the road is designed for.

Ride Safe
Rich

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:45 pm

Richman2000 wrote:he speed limits are designed to be a money making program. The limit is always lower than what the road is designed for.

Ride Safe
Rich

You are correct. And, not only is it a money maker for the state/county/city that is making the bust, but it is also a big benefit for the insurance companies. These tickets give them grounds for jacking up your insurance to increase their profits.

This is the same reason cars are made out of recycled aluminum beer cans. A 10mph accident can total a car. The insurance sets their profit based on a percentage of gross. They set premiums based on payouts plus profit. So the more they pay out, the higher their overall premiums and also raises profit because it is based on percentage of gross. The car companies are in it to the hilt, as the more cars totaled, the more new cars they can sell. It's a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours kind of deal." The same way they are in bed with big oil, keeping the MPG as low as the feds will allow. What a wonderful world we live in.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”