How do you like your Markland Backrest ?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

How do you like your Markland Backrest ?

Postby Happytrails » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:32 am

I'm in the market for a backrest and they look like a nice backrest. Any owners have any opinions? I've heard Utopia's are nice too but I just dont think I want to cut my seat to install one.

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: How do you like your Markland Backrest ?

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:42 am

For the driver I don't think it really matters which style you go with(I've had both styles over the years).The difference is passenger comfort.If your pass has shorter legs they will most likely end up riding against the mounting bars(Markland style)and believe me you'll hear about it.If you have no pass normally or a long legged one than go with the Markland if it's what you like.

BTW Cutting the seat is not as bad as you'd think after you get your head around doing it or so I've been told by guys that have done it.I like the Utopia style myself,but both my Hartco and the Corbin I have now came already installed.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:53 am

I think Markland is a great backrest, far better than the one that came with my Saddlemen Road Sofa. I thought of fitting the Markland with the road sofa but the seat is a bit too big.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:51 pm

I have had both, and the Markland is much more comfortable for me, being as I have had a back injury. The Utopia is more convenient when it comes to riding 2up, your passenger has more room for their legs or if you have to store it while riding 2up, it takes less room. The Markland braces take up a lot of room, even if you are trying to store it to ride 2up. So both have good and bad. I do a lot more riding alone than 2up so I use the Markland a lot.
Proud member Patriot Guard

wilmo
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE Blue-the fastest color
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:13 pm

I have the Markland and have to remove it for 2up as there isn't enough room for the passenger. But that's ok because it's my wife and she makes the best backrest ever-if you know what i mean ;) . But I had to modify the markland when I got my new saddlemen seat (double saddle). I had to cut the risers and add 3" of height to clear the back of the new seat. I used threaded rod and ground the threads off so it would fit inside the tubing and welded it. then slid the leather sheath back over it and no one knows it's been done. Quite comfortable now that it supports more of my upper back. Don't know anything about Utopia-haven't reached it yet :mrgreen:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:20 pm

Happytrails wrote:I'm in the market for a backrest and they look like a nice backrest. Any owners have any opinions? I've heard Utopia's are nice too but I just dont think I want to cut my seat to install one.

I had a Markland on my 1100 and it was comfortable enough. My 1500 has a Corbin seat with integrated backrest, and it is far more comfortable than the Markland.

I put a Utopia backrest on my wife's PC800, and you're right - you think twice about cutting into the seat. But the kit they send to install it really makes it easy and foolproof - once I read over the instructions a couple of times, I had no problem making the cut, and the install was relatively simple. It's a very high quality unit, and infinitely adjustable. My wife loves it.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:27 pm

Maybe I'll start off with a Markland and see how I like it. The Corbin seats are very nice but its a bit more money. Just want to be sure if I go that route. Having a slightly lower seat would be nice.

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Return to “Goldwing Chat”