HID Lights

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
t.delaney1
Motorcycle: 05' Gl1800a EurowingUSA trike.

HID Lights

Postby t.delaney1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:38 pm

I heard a rumor about any vehicle(bike or car) with HID headlights will fail certain states (USA)yearly vehicle Inspections. Does anyone know if this is true?

silverado6x6
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Re: HID Lights

Postby silverado6x6 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:57 pm

I believe certain nanny states have such laws, don't want the peasants thinking any can have something better than the others.
In Alaska its actually very nearly a problem but then again people are adapting, when HID came out it was the cats meow to have better lighting for our long dark winters, problem was many OE headlamp housings with a fresnel lens made the HID scatter in a wild blinding spectrum. Then you had all the different shades up to even pink, now you have 55 and even 75 watt HID capsules. But nothing is enforced. Only if say you have a full rack of offroad lights on all the time.
I use two 55watt HID lamps in my GL1500, 3 times brighter than 35watt HID, BUT I aim mine correctly.
I installed HID and projector headlights on my Silverado years ago, now everyone HAS to have HID.

I know it sucks to be in a nanny state.
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

aladdin
Motorcycle: 1987 Honda GL1200 Aspencade

Postby aladdin » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:43 am

I ordered a 2 in 1 bulb HID motorcycle kit for my GL1200 from DDM Tuning. What they sent me was a double bulb car HID kit that has no way of moving the bulb for dipping the lights.
Despite my emailing the original order back to them and showing the wrong part number on what they sent, they refuse to even acknowledge their mistake and insist the kit they sent will work. I took it to my local auto electrician and he also decided it is never going to work in a single headlight system such as a GL1200. Be very careful what kit you buy, and make sure you choose a reputable source, as there is a lot of cheap knock-off versions on the market.
I eventually just opted for a brighter bulb for the standard headlight, which looks kind of wimpy. :cry:

silverado6x6

Postby silverado6x6 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:13 am

I should mention the kit I installed in my 95 was a 55 watt HID, these are insanely bright, to the point if not aimed correctly will absolutely upset oncoming traffic. They have a true plug and play, with the smaller cables for each lamps magnetic coil that moves capsule for the hi/lo pattern.
Bi-xenon is what you need for an H4 HID lamp.

There is a ton of cheap HID kits on the market, shop wisely.

t.delaney1
Motorcycle: 05' Gl1800a EurowingUSA trike.

Postby t.delaney1 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks for the info, I have given a lot of thought and would like to go that route(HID) ,I have an 1800 and there is a lot of styles out there. Plug n play would work great for me. The more lights the better ,as long as it's not blinding the poor sap approaching me from the other direction :mrgreen:

silverado6x6

Postby silverado6x6 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:19 am

While I was recording the World Series I got both the original headlight housing from my 95 Aspencade and a refurbished 98 SE headlight housing on my work bench and swapped out the lamps.
This summer I had installed two 55 watt 6000K color HID units in the original , never had an easier plug and play. Also I replaced the 194 white bulbs in the position lights with a pair of 7 watt Cree LED lamps, they have the base of a 194 but are long and have basically what looks like a mini projector lens on the end, they are also 6000K in color, same as headlights.
But I wanted the clear lens look of the 98, first off I had to remove the reflectors in the position lamps, that was easy with the aid of some needle nose pliers, get a good bite and just keep bending back and forth, they broke off cleanly at the base, to get them out of the housing just shake it so they drop out of the headlight main lamp hole, then I had to use an xacto knife to trim the lugs in the position lights sockets for the Cree LED lamp to go in, does not take much to trim to get the lamps in and that worked out just dandy. Just those lights by themselves look like headlights, I may configure my HID lamps to be independently controlled, in effect I can manually turn either both, one or the other or none, two rocker switches just below the ign switch will interrupt left and right headlight ground wires (brown).

The H4 lamps had to have the two smaller prongs bent up so they would fit in the lamp socket cause the 98 actually uses a special 45 watt lamp that may look like an H4 but it isn't. The Bi-xenon HID capsules with the hoods and magnetic actuator fit right in even with the stock internal reflectors still in place, beam pattern is a very precise ultra wide band, I absolutely love it, hi beam raises the patterns adequately.

Bike is in the house at the moment and will be for the duration of the Alaska winter, this is just the beginning of some intense mods I am planning.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”