Time for new tires


Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17045
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Time for new tires

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:20 pm



Being that it was sunny and nice today, as a reward for cutting the grass, and because they are forecasting snow for later on this week, I took my 1500 out for a spin with my wife this afternoon. Before I did, I started my compressor up and topped up my tires. Having a close look at the tires, my rear is just about done, and the front is worn and somewhat cupped. Definitely at the point where I will replace both of them this winter.

I was not so thrilled with that, because having only about 5,000 miles on them, they should have lasted much longer than that. I wondered exactly what the mileage on them was, so I looked at my maintenance log - and realized that it wasn't 5,000 miles, it was 14,000 miles. OK then, I guess I'm OK with that. Funny how that mileage sneaks up on you!



User avatar
bjatwood
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:19 am
Location: Blair, Nebraska
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Re: Time for new tires

Postby bjatwood » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:44 pm

I put new 20" Goodyears on my SUV this Saturday. That hurts the pocket book a bit. But talk about milage, I had 67,000 miles on the last set...so we definitely got our money's worth on the last set.....
What kind of tires are you gonna get this time? I've read good things about the E3 MT's

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17045
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Time for new tires

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:46 pm

bjatwood wrote:I put new 20" Goodyears on my SUV this Saturday. That hurts the pocket book a bit. But talk about milage, I had 67,000 miles on the last set...so we definitely got our money's worth on the last set.....
What kind of tires are you gonna get this time? I've read good things about the E3 MT's


I'm very happy with the Avons that were on there, so I'm going to put the same thing on again.

User avatar
Happytrails
Posts: 652
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Tarentum, Pennsylvania
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Re: Time for new tires

Postby Happytrails » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:38 pm

14k very good. Didnt know Avons could go that far.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 2861
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Time for new tires

Postby dingdong » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:40 am

Wow! Seems like only last week you were reporting on the new Venoms. I now have 6k on mine with just very sleight wear showing.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

User avatar
silverado6x6
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:29 am
Location: Wasilla, Alaska and Adelaide,South Australia
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Re: Time for new tires

Postby silverado6x6 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:45 am

While my 95 Aspy is laid up for the winter one of the many mods I hopefully plan to do is to instal an onboard TPMS, one that is not just for bikes but can handle extra tires.
The reason being in case I should come up with a trailer.
The good kits monitor pressure and temp, have audio visual alerts, latest sensors can be simple valve caps or one can install the standard sensor on the rim.
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations
Image

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17045
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Time for new tires

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:06 am

silverado6x6 wrote:While my 95 Aspy is laid up for the winter one of the many mods I hopefully plan to do is to instal an onboard TPMS, one that is not just for bikes but can handle extra tires.
The reason being in case I should come up with a trailer.
The good kits monitor pressure and temp, have audio visual alerts, latest sensors can be simple valve caps or one can install the standard sensor on the rim.


That's exactly what the unit I have installed does - it can do up to five tires (a trike pulling a trailer):

Tire SafeGuard TPMS

User avatar
Fiberthree
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:06 pm
Location: Behind the windshield
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: Time for new tires

Postby Fiberthree » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:25 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I'm very happy with the Avons that were on there, so I'm going to put the same thing on again.

I've been averaging close to 19,000 on my E3's. If you have run the Dunlops, what did you like better about the Avons? I'm just curious because I know mileage isn't the only reason to buy a certain tire.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17045
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Time for new tires

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:39 am

The Avons to me, have excellent grip, and make the bike feel more "alive" if that makes any sense - it seems more responsive. They are also excellent in the rain. I suspect they may be a bit softer compound than the E3's - which were what were on the bike when I got it, and were severely cupped.

User avatar
Fiberthree
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:06 pm
Location: Behind the windshield
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: Time for new tires

Postby Fiberthree » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:44 pm

With your moister climate it makes sense. Here in SoCal wet pavement is a rarity. As far as the cupping issue, mine also cupped toward the end of their useable tread life. I just treat it like a reminder to start shopping for new rubber. I do like the tread pattern of the E3's and only experience the howling in turns when they are worn out. Is the Avon simularly noisy when worn?
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17045
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Time for new tires

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:22 pm

Fiberthree wrote:With your moister climate it makes sense. Here in SoCal wet pavement is a rarity. As far as the cupping issue, mine also cupped toward the end of their useable tread life. I just treat it like a reminder to start shopping for new rubber. I do like the tread pattern of the E3's and only experience the howling in turns when they are worn out. Is the Avon simularly noisy when worn?


They are noisy in that when you turn, the cupping makes noise, yes. But not other than that.




Return to “Goldwing Chat”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: virgilmobile and 1 guest