Question about buying online.

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Question about buying online.

Postby tandem54 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:23 pm

I'm replacing my fork seals and figured I'd go for the progressive springs, I found some on a forum that are new and wonder what you guys do to pay for them? (trying to save some money)
I figured I just pay "Up front" but what if I don't get them? (what if there not sent)
I have bought a lot on e-Bay and online stores, but never from a person on a forum.
So, how do you pay?
1. All up front?
2. 1/2 up front 1/2 after receiving them?
3. All after receiving them?
Just want to know, I trust most people but there are some out there that are not honest.
I have never had a problem, just asking. (not sure why it came up this time, getting less trusting I guess.)

I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Question about buying online.

Postby cbx4evr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:34 pm

Works about the same as eBay in that you normally pay up front and then the goods area shipped. What you negotiate with a forum seller is entirely up to you though. I don't think too many people selling will ship something without payment first. Buyer beware applies.

You can usually get some info about a person on a forum by looking at how long they have been there, how many posts they have and their general reputation. Myself I have bought a lot from other forum members, boot, jackets, gloves, helmet and I've never had a problem.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:43 pm

If you use PayPal to buy from the person online, and the person ends up "stiffing you" by not shipping you the product you paid for, you can contact PayPal, and they will give you your money back.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:32 am

WingAdmin is entirely correct. If possible, use Paypal. That said, I sell to others, and all I have is references from those I have already sold to, as I do not take Paypal, and I do not ship prior to receiving payment. It is all about trust, and that is getting really rare these days. I have never had a problem with a personal purchase from others, but I have from companies on the net. Paypal was my friend.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

tandem54

Postby tandem54 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:33 pm

Thanks, I forgot about the PayPal policy, and I have an e-bay store! go figure!!

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:09 pm

I will send the person a check. And tell them to make sure all goes thru their bank and then send me the part. Paypal takes a bite out of the selling price for the transaction... :( And I have never been "stiffed" by a fellow MC forum member either! But I haven't bought too many parts that cost over 150 dollars either.. ;)

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Its always wise to protect yourself. Sometimes you have to use judgement and take a risk. I tend to try and use Paypal. In fact I recently bought something for $50 for my motorcycle from someone I did not know. The deal worked out good. I would be nervous paying for anything over $100 without some kind of protection. I dont liked being ripped off (have been for larger amounts in the past and tried to learn from it). If it seems legit then you have to trust your gut feeling I guess.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:14 pm

Dont think that Paypal is infallible. I have had a dud battery delivered, after paying through PayPal. They declined to act on the complaint, even though the battery was delivered without any screw-in caps, and I reported it to the seller, they still would not intervene. I have had better results from using a credit card, where the credit card payment is reversed until they work out a resolution. Something to think about.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

wilmo
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE Blue-the fastest color
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:45 am

I just rebuilt my forks yesterday and I also ordered the progressive springs. Right now JC motors has them on sale for $69 plus shipping. Naturally you have to pay up front. I used the paypal option and they arrived via Fedex as the 3 day option-their call. weekends do not count. so ordered them on Thursday, they arrived Tuesday. I did call first to confirm that they were in stock and that the price was correct. I also asked shipping price, which was what was shown on the invoice page just prior to accepting. There were no issues and the service was acceptable. I would suggest this site because they have the lowest price I've found and they shipped out the same day.

tandem54

Postby tandem54 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:17 pm

Up-date:
I just got the Progressive Springs I bought from a member of Steve Saunders, new in the box for $76 including shipping!! (I think he has 1 set left)
I ordered the rest from Cyclemax!
I’m changing:
Forks seals and Bushings
Progressive Springs
Air Filter
Oil & Filter
Fuel Filter
Cruise Filter
Sub Filter
Anti-Freeze
Adding the Headlight Protector WingAdm talked about (cheap insurance for $18)
All for less than $300.00!!
She should be as good as new, If not better!! I can’t finish her until next week and I can’t wait!! The weather here is finally cooling off, great for riding!

tandem54

Postby tandem54 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:37 am

Another Up-date!!
I just bought new Progressive Springs for my 1988 GL1500, so that when I had my front forks apart I could replace the OEM springs. Well when I took apart my forks I found out that the PO had already installed the Progressive Springs!!!
Now I guess I'll have to sell them! WTH!!

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:31 pm

I've never had a problem ordering things online but I heard about 1. It was several years ago and the sellers name was smeared all over this particular sportbike site.
Turns out some members lived near the seller and there was a discussion about going and having a prayer meeting with the seller. He apparently had sold the same item to 3 different people.
I don't know how, or if, that situation was resolved. But most sportbike riders are younger men and some get pretty hot-headed.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”