Title question, mn

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Britwing
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
2011 Kawasaki KLR650

Title question, mn

Postby Britwing » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:50 pm

I bought a 1978 GL1000 that had been stored outside for five years, I was not sure even if it would ever run, but after some work I have it running, starts first time every time so I am extremely lucky. My question is, this was a craigslist bike, no title, checked out the vin and it was never stolen and never been in an accident.
I had to rebuild the bike as the previous owner had removed a lot of parts, which is why he bought the bike to rebuild his own bike.
I am from Minnesota and apparently unless the bike has been out of the system for seven years then I need the original owner to hand me the original title to register it, the registrar cannot give me the info, although they have it, so I have a choice, either buy a frame with a title and rebuild it into that frame or wait two years to run it on the road, does anyone have any ideas how I can get the bike on the road sooner without further expenditure.
The previous owner tried to help but can't locate the owner as it was a parts bike.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: Title question, mn

Postby Mag » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:35 pm

So....Owner #1 sold to Owner #2 to use as parts bike. Owner #2 sold to Owner #3 (you), and you can not register.
- Did Owner #2 register under his name?
- If yes, he can file for "lost title" paperwork and then sign it over to you when he receives it.
- If no, rolls to the next question...

- Did Owner #2 not register under his name?
- If yes, I believe you can attempt to locate owner #1 and do as much research as possible to find him on internet. If not able to find, then you have owner #2 provide documentation that he had when buying vehicle from #1. He will have to sign notarized documents regarding lost title of ownership, adn possibly even attempt to get the state to issue him title so he can sign over to you.

I had an issue with my bike, but I was owner 2 and he was 1, so it was easy enough to get him to file for missing title, then he signed it over to me.

Disclaimer: Of course, your state may vary ;)

silverado6x6
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Postby silverado6x6 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:59 am

I would just buy another frame off Ebay, WITH the proper documentation, or a basket case. I have a couple bikes like that, I get a nearly complete bike but no paperwork, then I search for a compatible or close enough frame with paperwork. Just swap all the parts to the frame with paperwork.
Two of my Goldwings are just like that, got a free 81 GL1100, almost the whole bike sans a good engine, but no papers, then I get an 84 GL1200, its basically just a running engine on a bare frame with tires, paid $50 for it with papers. So I take all the goodies from the 81 and they go on the 84, sure its a different generation but thats why the make welders.... :D
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

Britwing
2011 Kawasaki KLR650

Postby Britwing » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:55 am

Unfortunately I am #3, which is making it virtually impossible to get to #1, I found a frame with title for $150 so far on craigslist, if I can get him down to $100 then I think that's the way to go, really good advice from both of you, I am really glad there are people still keeping these great bikes alive. There is nothing like the GW engine,almost 30" wide and starts first time, every time, which I s more than I can say for the 2011 Kawasaki KLR650 I bought new. 2 yr old bike vs 35yr old bike!

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:35 am

Britwing wrote:There is nothing like the GW engine,almost 30" wide and starts first time, every time, which I s more than I can say for the 2011 Kawasaki KLR650 I bought new. 2 yr old bike vs 35yr old bike!

My 2004 KLR starts as well as my Goldwing. Have you checked the valve adjustment? Also look into the 25 cent Smilemaker Mod on shimming the carb needle and drilling the slide. If you need more info I can lead you to it.

Unfortunate about your titling issue. I don't think it's as difficult here. To think I tossed a titled frame out a couple of months ago because I couldn't give it away. :x
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Britwing
2011 Kawasaki KLR650

Postby Britwing » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:52 am

I haven't done the 22 cent washer mod, but this weekend I plan on taking out the factory 'cap' from the low end carb adjustment and turning it out 2.5 turns for full in. I don't want to get into the cold weather valve opener deal, but at some point I do want to do the dohicky upgrade.
I ride all through winter, last year it was 17 deg on the coldest day, but luckily the company I work for let me put it in thier garage during the day.
As long as it's dry for the 20 mile ride to work, then it's a riding day.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”