GWRRA Members ???

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links

What do you think of GWRRA?

I like it fine the way things are, they're going in the right direction
7%
Wing World is one big advertisement
17%
Wing Ding is a huge money grab
15%
I'm not a member, and don't care to be
10%
I appreciate the ads in Wing World, I like seeing products that are available for my bike
14%
I can't stand all the expanding trike coverage in Wing World
9%
I won't be renewing my membership
7%
I love my local chapter, that's what it's all about
13%
I look forward to Wing Ding all year
2%
I'm only a member for the Gold Book/Rescue Plus
7%

Total votes: 591

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

GWRRA Members ???

Postby Sally » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:48 pm

I hope not to ruffle feathers but I have a question. I understand how it works and they need funds BUT has anyone eles noticed that wing world has just become one big ad. Every page is 1/2 or at least 1/4 page ad.Pull out an old issue 5 years ago even not that way. I'm think of dropping my member ship or am I going to far ? Not really happy with the magazine anymore. Sally :cry:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GWRRA Members ???

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:43 pm

Yeah, I have to say I'm not super thrilled with GWRRA. What's not advertising is articles promoting next year's Wing Ding - starting the month after the previous year's was over.

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:41 pm

How about the fact you join an organization where the members have no voice in the way its run. And the fact he shut down TRI to put the members into GWWRRA to bolster its sagging numbers. Its an overpriced business.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:16 am

For me it's not only about WingWorld magazine although I would agree that the quality has gone down since I first joined 4 years ago. Advertising pays the bills so I can't see them getting away from that. I'm not crazy about 1/2 the magazine being about trikes but then maybe that's what the bulk of the membership rides these days. Also agree about the WingDing advertising. Takes up far too many pages but again it's a money maker and these days money talks.

For us we enjoy the events at the local Chapter level. We have met some great people and made many friends through our Chapter association. That is our main reason for staying on. Membership does have it's benefits too. We've probably saved our membership dues and more using the GWRRA hotel services.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:34 am

I do not belong to the local chapter. I prefer to ride alone, or with one or two other friends. I may reconsider when I retire on a limited basis, but am really not able to afford a lot of the functions they get into, including wing ding.

I really am not thrilled with the whole "NEW" look. With one exception. The workbench section was expanded quite a bit. I must have been asleep when they changed editors. It was a complete surprise. I also think the amount of wing ding coverage is excessive. I too am thinking about giving up my membership. I do enjoy the magazine though, just not the direction it seems to be going.
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:45 am

At chapter level, some are active and quite enjoyable. If you like group riding and having friends to ride with and are willing to wait for someone to organize a ride, or organize it yourself (participate) and if you like the other people in the chapter, then that would be a reason to have a membership in the GWRRA. I tried the chapter thing, but our chapter here is pretty stagnant, or busy raising money for things that I have no wish to raise money for. So, I left the chapter scene. Now I feel like Sally does. If it is only for the magazine, then it seems a bit overpriced. I do like Stu Oltman's corner of the magazine, but he seldom has anything that is not mostly common sense to write about, because, if whoever writes him is knowledgeable enough to have hit on a large problem, they are probably also knowledgeable enough to not have had to write. Mostly it is getting to be the same old stuff from people who are hard pressed to change their oil independently. Once in a while I get a "Wow, that is good to know" out of his column. Other than that, yes, GWRRA is really about making money - for whom, I do not know - as everyone is supposed to be a volunteer. Like Sally, when my membership comes due, I probably will not renew. I have been to some Michigan events tho and they seem to have it going on over there. Here it seems it is all infighting over who runs things, or who should. I hate to mention this, but men are not so amenable to taking orders from bossy women, and that, it seems, is the whole difficulty when voluntary offices of responsibility are held by couples. The only couples who want to hold said offices are control freaks.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:20 am

Sally wrote:I hope not to ruffle feathers but I have a question. I understand how it works and they need funds BUT has anyone eles noticed that wing world has just become one big ad. Every page is 1/2 or at least 1/4 page ad.Pull out an old issue 5 years ago even not that way. I'm think of dropping my member ship or am I going to far ? Not really happy with the magazine anymore. Sally :cry:

I let mine lapse. What a waste!!!!

Sally

Postby Sally » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:27 am

You guys said everything I wanted too.I just didn't want to hit a nevre with any one. I also think I'm done . Maybe I'm not old enough to enjoy all the trike reading and all the ads. In just five short years they recked it for me. I'm also SICK of wing ding crap. I ride alone mostly and take a trip a year with another friend for a couple days works best for me. Thanks for your guys input it made my decussion easier. Sally :x :( :? :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: OUT

CaptLen
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800A

Postby CaptLen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:40 pm

I'm a new rider compared to you folks. I'm all of 3 months into Goldwing ownership, so for me the Stu Oltman column is interesting reading, the 'Rescue Plus' is a good deal, my local chapter hasn't let me know when or where they meet so, sadly, I'm probably not going to find out too much about what it's like to be involved with a chapter, and the advertising has at least alerted me to companies that have Goldwing stuff available. We'll see what the future holds.

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Our Chapter (KY-G) must be different than a lot of yours, I guess. We usually average 75 at a meeting and do rides on a regular basis, including regular trips out west and Alaska every other year. We do camping trips almost every month during riding season.
I hafta say, however, I agree about the ads for WingDing...wowzers there are a lot.
For us as well, it's all about the local Chapter.
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

yamaha96
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500se aspencade, 1996 1300 yamaha royalstar

Postby yamaha96 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:19 am

Sally, i agree with you there is very little info to read in the magazine anymore, all about selling something new to us, i have only been a Goldwing owner for a couple of years, love the ride of the 1500 never rode any other wings, my friend Larry has an 1800 he just loves it, rides to work almost every day, back to the magazine it will have to get better before i sign up , just my thoughts, Mike.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:36 am

NKYWinger wrote:Our Chapter (KY-G) must be different than a lot of yours, I guess. We usually average 75 at a meeting and do rides on a regular basis, including regular trips out west and Alaska every other year. We do camping trips almost every month during riding season.
I hafta say, however, I agree about the ads for WingDing...wowzers there are a lot.
For us as well, it's all about the local Chapter.

You must have an exceptional chapter.A lot of GWRRA members will actually turn their nose up to you if you're not riding the latest and greatest Wing built.I'm sure it would have to be the 12/13 model these days.I was a member back in the early 90's and did the Wing Ding thing(was expensive way back then even with a membership)and doubt I would ever do it again.Goldbook is a good resource,but there are similar things out there that don't require a paid membership to get.Don't know much about their Roadside assistance,but it sounds pretty good and so do the discounts on different stuff.Don't think I'd ever join up again,but then I'm not into group riding much anyway.

PS I posted a question on another forum about a non member using the Goldbook in an emergency.Not that I would because like I said I have similar resources)Some of the members freaked
thinking that I was just out to get something for nothing that they had to pay for.Others said that member or not you're still a broken down biker and they would do anything they could to help.Some said they acutally give their old books to their non-member buddies.
My buddy is a member and he knew the wife and I were heading to the States by ourselves(2-up)so he gave us his year old book just in case.I posted this question after we got back and with so much opposition to me using it I took it right out to the burn barrel.I'm on a lot of forums and anybody that knows me knows I'm not a mooch and have gone out of my way to help other members.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:51 am

CaptLen wrote:I'm a new rider compared to you folks. I'm all of 3 months into Goldwing ownership, so for me the Stu Oltman column is interesting reading, the 'Rescue Plus' is a good deal, my local chapter hasn't let me know when or where they meet so, sadly, I'm probably not going to find out too much about what it's like to be involved with a chapter, and the advertising has at least alerted me to companies that have Goldwing stuff available. We'll see what the future holds.

Here if you want this will give you a broader spectrum to work with and you wont need to subscribe to GWRRA for your fix.

http://www.ridetwisties.com/mike2.htm

Spook1800
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800
1995 GL1500A
1999 Harley Davidson Road King

Postby Spook1800 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:17 am

vtxcandyred wrote:
Sally wrote:I hope not to ruffle feathers but I have a question. I understand how it works and they need funds BUT has anyone eles noticed that wing world has just become one big ad. Every page is 1/2 or at least 1/4 page ad.Pull out an old issue 5 years ago even not that way. I'm think of dropping my member ship or am I going to far ? Not really happy with the magazine anymore. Sally :cry:

+1. Same here.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
When the last tree has been cut down, when the last stream is poisoned, only then will mankind realise that we can not eat money!
I'm Larry the Spook and I'm ALMOST NORMAL!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:39 am

Not a member and never have been. The only reference I have to GWRRA is the riders I meet while on the road. I hear all the time about Harley riders not being sociable to the "other brand" bikers but the members of GWRRA I have tried to talk to won't give you the time of day when they find out you aren't a member. Is there a secret handshake or what? :lol: This is especially true of the 1800 riders. Can't figure out what their problem is.
I don't need their snooty attitude. I get all the information I need from this site and a couple of the other forums. I also would rather do my own thing and ride at my own pace.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:40 am

I wonder if the 2nd Gen 1800 riders will wave to the 1st Gen 1800 riders.
I still wave to everyone and if you're not all for waving back then my wave seems to transform into a one finger salute over my left shoulder.Nobody's that important.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Sally

Postby Sally » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Well guys I ride an 1800 and I'll wave to anyone. It burns my *ss when someone can't wave..And I don't want to be labled as a above and better than me rider. Were all in the same boat riding because we love it and enjoy it I don't want someone better than me to wreck that. I agree I don't need to be a member any place to ride I also like to ride alone main reason for being a gwrra member was for the magazine only don't care about the local chapters. Their to old for me anyways. RIDE ON MY FRIENDS :lol: :lol: Sally

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:25 pm

Spook1800 wrote:
vtxcandyred wrote:

+1. Same here.

+1. But it was back in '79! I joined and NEVER was contacted by anyone except to remind me to pay the dues.

Sally wrote:Well guys I ride an 1800 and I'll wave to anyone. It burns my *ss when someone can't wave..

I wave back when I see them. Does that count?
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

GreenDragon
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby GreenDragon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:49 pm

We gave up our membership a couple years ago. The few in our chapter that rode only rode from breakfast to lunch with about an hour in between. The Gold Book was the only reason we stayed in as ling as we did. When GWRRA started charging for the leadership (mandatory for officers) no one would take it over and most left the chapter. I ride 2 to 3 days a week with groups and my wife and I travel a good bit on the wing. Don't need GWFFA (gold wing food finders association).
Yes, many of the members were very nice people, but they could not keep it going and many had bad enough health problems (due to excess weight?) that they could not ride any way.
Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:34 am

I am not a member and am relatively new to Gold Wings, but I am a long time AMA member and enjoy their mag and the road side assistance is a plus for sure. I prefer to ride alone. I can go when and where I want. But it would be nice to have someone to ride with once in a while. I am planning a tour around the US for next summer. Supposed to have two guys going with me, but past experience that most people will chicken out half way thru the trip and want to go home. The security of company on a ride is nice, but the associated problems aren't any fun.
Bill

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Ihave been a memeber for th epast 10 years. For the most part I joined to gain access to the forum message board. back in the early for me days it was quite an active forum with 100's of members chiming in, and lots of get togethers pf the forum users. Good technical data, and fun people...

Then the political scene turned quite contentious and the argueing on the board got heated and troublesome. The board changed and the administration was forced to heavy handedly stop the bickering, and fighteing that was so divisive. Many people got angry over the method in whcih it was handled so they left. Then a couple years later another dust up over some charity fund rasising coused another stir (at which time I stopped using the forum). They lost more members of the message forum then as well..

Now the message board is a shadow of it's former glory...and many other boards are flourishing at the same time..The 'free' boards are doing well.like this one, the Steve Saunders site, the GL1800 riders, etc.

The Chapter life is not for everyone, especially as GWRRA had to change policy to preserve tax exemption. Now the meetings focus on education (supposedly) and the rallys are known as conventions. People who used to ride are too old, the new members are choosing other places with less rules and restrictions.

Change is constant. My membsership at GWRRA expires in 2016. Wing Ding is in Wisconsin in 2014 about 1 hour from me so I will go.
Renewal is to be determined .... :roll: :|

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:40 am

Never been a member. Can get most of ALL the information I need here and over at Saunders forum. Am not into group rides and such, as we have more than enough friends and family that ride to be as active as we want to be...have looked at the GWRRA site with a month long pass from Stu Oltman the technical writer. He sent me some stock driver foot pegs when I ditched my heel-to-toe shifter. He wouldn't even take any money for shipping!

cquestguy
Motorcycle: 73 Kawasaki Z900(sold)
95 Triumph T595 (sold)
1995 GL1500SE Trike
2012 Gl1800 Razor Trike

Postby cquestguy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:41 am

Well I must be different. Only had my Wing for a few months now and became a member right afterward. I joined because a friend I worked with encouraged me to join his chapter. I was contacted by another chapter nearer my home buy I declined because of my relationship I already had with my friend from the other chapter. They still were gracious and asked me to come for a visit or a ride. The chapter I joined has about 50 people show at the monthly meeting and are great people to hang out with. In the 4 months I have been a member we have gone on 4 day trips, a number of dinner rides in the evenings, and a three day trip in the mountains. Also went on our chapter picnic that was a lot of fun. We also do community service when we can and other things.

I guess my chapter must be one of the better ones and I am proud to be a member!

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:49 pm

^^^^I'm with you! Our Chapter is active, on the go, and great on trips. :D
I, also, am glad to be a member......
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:17 pm

I'm adding a poll to this topic, just to try to gauge what people think on a more anonymous basis. You can vote here: GWRRA Poll. Select as many options as you think apply to you.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”