Foot pegs

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
DFWM
Motorcycle: 79 gl1000

Foot pegs

Postby DFWM » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:35 am

Hey new to this forum but a very good friend of mine turned me on to it so thought I would introduce myself and ask a question. I am the DUMB FAT WHITE MAN in Colorado. My friends know why Im called that its an old story. Ive been on two wheels almost all my life. My first real motorcycle was a 125 dirt bike in 72 I was 14. My buddy Tom had a Goldwing and road the crap out of it then he got a newer one and I made him a deal on this one its my first Wing. I love this bike runs the hills like it was born here I call her the Rocky mountain Mule only problem I have is my legs. They hurt after a few hours on the bike because of the way I sit with my legs up under me. I have a great Corben seat but seems low even the solo seat dont pick me up enough. Ive tried adding some pad to the seat but its unstable and dont feel right. I have tried to figure out a way to move the pegs forward but nope ant going to happen you know why. Any ideas on how to move my old legs forward or pick me up on the bike a bit? This is the best most dependable bike Ive had in years Im going to ride her till I drop but sure would like to be more comfortable. By the way Im 6'1" and 220 not as fat as I once was (I was pushing 340) before illness wore me out. Now I just want to ride fulfill a few bucket list items like Yellowstone and this is the Bike for it but got to keep my legs from burning. Any Ideas?

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: Foot pegs

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:02 pm

Welcome to the site.
Can you post up a picture to see what we're working with.That way we can make some suggestions.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Sagebrush
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
1982 GL1100
2001 GL1800 CSC Trike
2002 GL1800

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:02 pm

The best solution would be to get a newer bike. With each successive evolution of the wing the frames got longer and the factory seating position would put you a little further back with your feet more under your knees than behind them. Having said that and realizing getting another bike is probably out of the question, I would get myself a used King and Queen seat but I wouldn't leave it at that. The King/Queens are usually thicker than stock or the Corbins, that right there would relieve some of the pressure on your legs, and the foam is much superior to OEM seats. However, I wouldn't stop there. I would remove the cover and using an angle grinder with a course sandpaper wheel or a serrated bread knife reshape the seat foam until, one you remove the hideous bucket shape from both the rider and passenger seats and two, start removing foam a little at a time from the back stop of the rider seat in order to move your seating position more toward the rear of the bike. You may accomplish the same thing by extending the tongue of the seat that fits in the slot under the shelter and building new rear brackets from flat stock available at the home improvement stores.

The idea is to get the line from your knee to your ankle while your feet are on the pegs as nearly vertical as possible within the limitations of both the seat and the bike. It may take a combination of the two techniques to accomplish this. Once you get the seat position where you need it to be and the shape that you can accept then I would have it recovered at a local upholsterer.

After riding the bike with the new seat you've created, you may find that your upper back between the neck and shoulder blades may begin to ache. If this is true then get a set of handlebar risers/setbacks in order to move the handlebars toward the rear closer to the new riding position.

You might be able to accomplish the same thing without so much creative input if you can find an old Valkyrie seat that separates into the rider an pillion halves. With some creative bracketry you might be able to accomplish the same thing without carving the seat up and having to get it reupholstered.

DFWM
Motorcycle: 79 gl1000

Postby DFWM » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:43 pm

Yea Ive been thinking of taking the seat pan and building another seat but call me lazy. Guess thats a winter project just kind of thought you guys would have another idea but back to basics. Tom will give me the business over this post and my laziness.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”