Heated grips or heated gloves?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Heated grips or heated gloves?

Postby liquineer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:34 am

I had a nice dry ride today to test my riding gear in cold weather, it is about +3 degrees centigrade today, so a reasonable test.( I did not ride in the cold last year- I was waiting for the bike to be triked, so this is new for me)
I found that my feet were fairly comfortable, body was warm, but my hands got fairly cold- tried two pairs of gloves out, one on the out run and the second pair on the home run- one pair is really flexible and allows you to feel the controls, (the pair I have been using all summer), and the second pair thicker but with less feel for the controls. I found the thicker pair did keep me warmer, but not warm, whereas (as I expected) the thinner pair let my hands feel the cold a lot more.

My question is, should I look at installing heated grips or try finding some heated gloves that still give me the flexibility of movement? I do need to replace the grips soon as the rubber is splitting on both of them, so I'm asking what other Goldwingers might do especially those in the colder States - do heated gloves work better than heated grips or vice versa ?

Are we having fun yet?

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Re: Heated grips or heated gloves?

Postby baumedagn » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:52 am

Heated grips help, but you're still dealing with the cold breeze on your hands. I've found that a good pair of winter riding gloves does the trick.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Best solution IMHO is installing a pair of grip heaters (to keep your hands warm) underneath your favourite, comfortable grips and a set of removeable handlebar muffs/Hippo Hands to keep the wind/rain/snow off of them and keeping the heat from the grip heaters within the muffs, allowing you to use your summer gloves.
Although I have a pair of heated gloves and the grip heaters, I rarely use the heated gloves since I installed the grip heaters as I dislike (HATE) awkwardly trying to hook up the glove's wiring to the wires connecting them to my heated jacket liner everytime I take them off for fill ups etc! :x :evil: I think of them more as a pair of 'Idiot Gloves' you wore when a child. I use just the grip heaters and a pair of heavy, unlined leather gauntlets. A pair of Baker Hand Wings does keep a lot of wind off of your hands in cool/cold weather, yet bring cooling air during hot weather when opened up
With either/both of the grip heaters and Hippo Hands installed, there is no further fussing and no forgetting to pack them/loosing them. Just a flick of the grip heater's button to turn them on and enjoy the comfortable warmth!

Dusty

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:31 pm

I've tried both - my wife's bike has heated grips, I have heated gloves for mine. My take: For cool weather, heated grips are fine. For COLD weather (45 degrees and below, I would say) or for long distances, gloves are definitely better. Yes they are a pain to connect up, but keeping my hands toasty warm is more than worth the inconvenience.

Bigbiker0
Motorcycle: 1997 gl 1500 se

Postby Bigbiker0 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:15 pm

Heated gloves for sure!
Drive safely Heaven do not exist.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:25 pm

I have factory heated grips on my bike, and take it from me - heated gloves are better. Grips only warm the palms of your hands. Gloves warm both sides.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:33 pm

I've installed heated grips on my 1500. I find they work alright for me but have found that my thumbs get cold on occasion. I'm not much for heated clothing so haven't tried any of it. I hate having to connect the intercom wire never mind clothing.

If you need to replace the grips anyway the cost of grip heaters is actually pretty reasonable. If you buy a grip heater set don't get the type that uses a huge resistor for the low circuit.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:08 am

Riddle me this, which gets coldest, your palms or the backs of your hands and your fingers? Heated gloves is the answer for cold weather.

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:34 am

For me it is heated grips. The secret is thin windproof gloves. The gloves keep the wind from chilling the back of my hands while the grips keep them warm. I travel all over the country and I ride all winter if there is no ice and these are the only gloves I take with me. The great thing about heated grips is you don't have to stop to put gloves on or take them off. The gloves I wear are comfortable in any temperature that may require me to use the heat so I jjust wear them all day and adjust the heat as needed. They are available at REI, and they aren't expensive, here's a link. http://www.rei.com/product/766531/manzella-silkweight-windstopper-gloves-mens
They are not waterproof but they keep me warm even in the rain with the heaters on, and they dry quickly.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks for the link to the Manzella gloves, unfortunately for me they will cost me more than double that to get them to the UK with international shipping and custom charges on top- can't see a UK supplier of them- all seem to be imported. I will see if i can spot something similar from the UK.
Are we having fun yet?

charliektm400exc
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Postby charliektm400exc » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:29 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I've tried both - my wife's bike has heated grips, I have heated gloves for mine. My take: For cool weather, heated grips are fine. For COLD weather (45 degrees and below, I would say) or for long distances, gloves are definitely better. Yes they are a pain to connect up, but keeping my hands toasty warm is more than worth the inconvenience.

I agree, except for one small change. I have heated grips and use heated inner gloves on my bike. The grips are great if your on a short ride and it gets a bit colder then you thought it would.

But the gloves deal with anything. I ride in winter with temperatures down to about 3 like you with just my summer gloves and a pair of Warm & Safe inner gloves. Perfectly comfortable, and with the thin summer gloves still plenty of easy control on the grips.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:04 pm

Thanks for that Charliektm, now those I can get directly from the UK - there is a supplier in London, about 60 miles away- might get to them and have a look. If they are flexible and can go under my summer gloves, then I will be happy.
Are we having fun yet?

waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Postby waituntilthebeep » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:50 am

I am a year round rider for a daily commute and I have had both heated grips and gloves. I hated the grips because they had 2 settings... well, isn't that almost enough... and... OH HOLY @%#$ THAT IS HOT!!! Even with thick gloves. I had scorched palms and frozen fingers. I bought some nice heated gloves and sold the bike with the toaster handles. My gloves do a dandy job of keeping my hands plenty warm even in the PNW rains. It was 3o degrees here the other day and I was comfortable. I agree about the cords and what not though. Of course, after taking 15 minutes to put on my pants, jacket, balaclava and helmet... whats a couple seconds to plug in 3 plugs?

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:50 am

Ordered a pair of the flexible heated undergloves- they are on their way and should be here at the end of this coming week. I hope I chose the correct size!!!!
Are we having fun yet?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:24 am

liquineer wrote:Ordered a pair of the flexible heated undergloves- they are on their way and should be here at the end of this coming week. I hope I chose the correct size!!!!

A full report on how you like them and how well they worked would be welcomed
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

musinger
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500se
1975 CB750F

Postby musinger » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:04 am

I use heated grips (show chrome with 4 settings) with hand wings, also plugged the two vents in the mirrors (1990 Goldwing) to keep warm on cold days does the job here in Wisconsin coldest ride so far was 12 degrees

pidjones
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800A
1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine (project)

Postby pidjones » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:24 am

Gerbing gloves added 3 months to my riding season. Their jacket liner adds the rest (except cold rain or ice/snow).

Firea100
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda Valkyrie
1989 Honda goldwing trike

Postby Firea100 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:38 am

I have heated grips on my snowmobile and most times have to turn them down because they actually get too warm! I do wear a thicker glove for sledding but for the first year sledding I was amazed at how toasty they kept my hands. They even have a "thumb" heater since that's how you operate the throttle! Seems to me that the gloves may work but the wire may be something to have to get used to. IMHO
Larry in East China Mi.

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:40 am

I fitted Oxford heated grips to my GL and apart from the right being slightly hotter than the left they're fine. I had heated gloves but connecting them up is a pain, especially for shorter journeys, and you have the hassle of threading wire down the sleeves of your jacket. Not to mention walking away from your bike whilst your still connected. Also, I can't remember the make, but if the gloves got wet
A. My hands got cold
B. when I took them off the linings stuck to my fingers and were a right b*****r to get back in.

Sid

toms800
Motorcycle: 2006 GL18HPNA6

Postby toms800 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:18 am

I have heated grips on my 2006 Goldwing. I also own heated gloves. I would take heated gloves over grips any day. Just my .02 cents worth.
Toms800
2006 GL18HPNA6
Milford, DE

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:50 am

Sidcar wrote:I fitted Oxford heated grips to my GL and apart from the right being slightly hotter than the left they're fine.

That's actually normal. The left grip is mounted directly to the metal handlebar, which wicks away some of the heat. The right grip is insulated from the metal handlebar by the (normally plastic/nylon) twist grip.

jimn
Motorcycle: 2010 GL 1800

Postby jimn » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:24 am

I have used both at the same time on some trips; and heated trips only on not so cold trips. What I find that works for me is heated grips at temperatures down to about 35. At temps less than 35, I add a pair of Gortex padded gloves which breaks the wind off the back of my hands. I can add another pair of leather gloves over that and I am toasty warm.

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:46 am

Isn't Oxford missing at trick here?
Why not supply two grips the same size with an spacer/insulator thus reducing their costs and keeping my hands the same temp.
Are there handlebar muffs big enough to fit over GW handlebar controls?

Sid

kilzum
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 Trike

Postby kilzum » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:16 pm

I believe that heated gloves are the answer. I have a pair of Gerber heated gloves and they work great. They are also guaranteed for life. I also own a 2011 Boulevard and when I ride it and need a little heat, I have it set up so that I can use the gloves and jacket liner if needed.

Kilzum
Chuck
Keep the Rubber Side Down!

Willy447
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Postby Willy447 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:12 pm

I have both heated grips and gerbing heated gloves. The gloves seem to keep the top of my hand and fingers warm. When it is 45f and lower I use both gloves and grip heaters. Above that I use grip heaters first so I can wear the thinner gloves. As far as the wiring for the gloves, I wired it up so the gloves stay on the bike and an extension from the controller to my heated jacket. (I leave the 2-way controller mounted on the bike) My 2 cents is the best way is to have both.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”