Push Start

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
silverbullet07
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Push Start

Postby silverbullet07 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:29 pm

I had a problem today with the Silver Bullet. Out of the blue the battery went dead and would not start her. I tried to push start in a parking lot and it seemed like she wanted to start for a second, then nothing. AAA came and jumped started with a battery pack and I got home ok. My question is, why would my bike not start when I tried to push start her?

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Push Start

Postby redial » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:55 am

Not enough Jolts! You need some source of electricity to fire it up, and from memory the ECU requires 10.4 volts, to even think about starting work. So you need to push harder and faster, to get the alternator to break through the dead battery and supply some volts that are good enough for you to start.

Think of it as a body building exercise, and something that you have learned.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

silverbullet07

Postby silverbullet07 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:51 am

Thanks Redail, nothing like 900 lb of knowledge to start my day. I'll always be sure to have my phone and water on every ride while I wait for rescue. First time stuck in six years of riding. AAA did awesome job in helping out as well.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:15 pm

You could either buy a Battery Tender, or win one from this month's prize for contributing to these forums. But make sure your battery is good, and test it on a weekly basis, with, at least, a voltage meter to show you what volts are currently residing in your battery. Batteries do not like extremes of temperatures, either hot or cold, Celsius or Fahrenheit. :shock:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:09 am

How old is your current battery?

silverbullet07

Postby silverbullet07 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:48 am

My current battery is Two days old. It was made in Aug. of this year. Ha !! The last one was original from the date of manufacture in 2006 I think. I bought it in 9-07. It was due to be replaced. I was surprised though at how fast it went with no indication that it was going bad. Usually you have a little trouble starting the bike for a while (slow crank) then it quits. This was like I rode to an appointment with no problem, came out and click,click,click nothing. Damm :shock: Every bike, car I've ever had with a manual transmission I could push start in a emergency, but not this one as I just learned the hard way. Lesson learned and I'm good for many years to come. Thanks all and hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving. Sure thankful for GoldwingDocs :P

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:48 am

Well dat, answers dat question. Glad you got her running again...6 years on the old battery is darn good!

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:13 pm

When you put the new battery in, did you clean both the cable and the battery terminal before tightening?

Second, out of curiosity, what gear did you try to push start/jump it in?
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

silverbullet07

Postby silverbullet07 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:29 am

I cleaned everything. Even the inside of the battery compartment itself. There was no corrosion anyplace on the terminals, but lightly used some scotch brite on both contacts. The new screw connectors used a small star washer that will hold and also dig in just a bit for a strong connection. I was sure to attach the positive terminal first when installing and also applied some grease to cover both terminals for some protection. Easy job, I think I spent more time resetting my stations and navi info when I finished.
When I tried to push start her in the parking lot, I used 3rd gear. That allowed the engine to turn over many times without skidding the rear tire. I was worried because of the backrest I have installed on the bike. You can't just jump on the seat. It has to be a sidesaddle thing. If you lean just a little bit to far the wrong way, It's all over, literally.
Its a perfect picture day today after two days of rain. The wife wants to go to Santa Barbara for lunch, she doesn't have to twist my arm to much :D

bootlace 256
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Black

Postby bootlace 256 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:45 am

G'day
with the power hungry bike we all know and love, 2 years is a good life expectancy for a modern Sealed battery , you did well for six . As you found out they will keep working until death does take it out. The clues were the sluggish starting.
A new battery does not come fully charged however I will put mine on charge with the correct charger for a couple of days then test and service it before installing it( the average Car charger can cook a modern bike battery very easily Must be a charger for the type of battery you have ) , the wing is heavy enough picking it back up let alone trying to shove it down the bitumen trying to gain momentum.
Bootlace 256
Gatton ,QLD Australia

80-GL100-INT
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I Interstate (current)
Previously Owned:
1981 CB 750 Custom
1976 CB 750 Super Sport (punched to 900)
1986 Kawasaki 440 LTD
1974 Suzuki 550
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600 (First Street Bike-way back in '88)

Postby 80-GL100-INT » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:37 pm

I am not above saying that more than a few times I have forgotten to turn the key on, or worse kill switch in the off position while trying to push start one. That's why I no longer use the kill switch at stops, only while servicing...But I have accidentally hit it, especially with bulky gloves on. :lol:
If "WE THE PEOPLE" don't defend our rights...Who will?
"Government's first duty is protect the people, not run their lives."...Ronald Reagan

http://www.powdercoat.tk/

jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby jeffcosmo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:22 pm

I am not of the opinion that you CAN actually push-start a fuel-injected bike. By the time it needs a push, there aren't enough volts left to fire the pump, injectors and sparking plugs. And the thought that you can push it fast enough for the alternator to take over and generate enough is pure fantasy.

Plus, you can give yourself one hell of a hematoma trying. Guess how I know...

And it didn't start.

Cosmo

silverbullet07

Postby silverbullet07 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:53 am

LOL !!! That is funny :lol:
I sure learned a lot from that little inquiry. GoldwingDocs is the best !!

Thanks Cosmo

bootlace 256
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Black

Postby bootlace 256 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:32 am

G'day
My experience is if the fuel pump will spin up and shut off you will have pressurized the injection system enough to get the motor spinning. What kills a normal push start of old is the modern coil, these high energy ones chew up the juice like it is going out of fashion. if you can turn the bike on and the F1 light extinguishes ( means you now have pressure in the fuel lines and in excess of 11.8 volts available at the battery) theoretically you should be able to push start the beast , however if the battery is tired as in the above example the battery just cannot deliver the required current to the coils to produce a good fat spark. You need a good fat blue spark to ignite the fuel in the cylinders while under pressure( the cold fuel in a cold motor can actually smoother a poor pale spark , instead of the spark jumping the gap the spark travels from fuel droplet to droplet without vaporizing and igniting the mix). The design of the alternator means it has to be spinning fast to produce output and due to the regulator this output is not delivered to the system until stable so for the first few seconds after the motor has fired and is running it is running on the battery until the regulator and the ECU is happy with all. Remember there is no flywheel in these motors for momentum as there are in Cars . Sorry to go on about this subject but a lot of starting and running problems can be caused by a tired battery or a dry one , we all look at the oil, wheels, fuel, bearings and too many forget about the poor old battery that is at the start of those glorious kilometers (miles)and as a mate here in Australia found out on the weekend and you too silverbullet07 the battery can decide to die in the middle of nowhere ( Murphy's law says it will be in the most remote Godforsaken place you could find) I Had one die on me 100 Klm's North of a place called Ivanhoe NSW near Broken hill( look it up on Google try push starting a fully loaded CB900 F2 on that road ) so I regularly check mine with a meter (under load) and replace it every 2 years before it gives trouble.
Anyhow Keep the Shinny Side up

Bootlace 256
Gatton ,QLD Australia

Return to “Goldwing Chat”