Heading for Phoenix

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
OldGuyOnABike
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800A
2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 (sold)

Heading for Phoenix

Postby OldGuyOnABike » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:47 pm

Trailing my Wing and a Victory down to Phoenix (Mesa area) early Jan. Just curious as to what the weather is like. I am thinking riding to Weslaco TX, just for a cruise. I was wondering if it is possible to make it to Florida (riding the coast) at that time of year. Don't forget I am from the north where we have to break the ice off the the lake in June just to swimming. :lol: .. I have no idea what weather is like at that time of year :oops: . With what the weather has been like this year it was hard to leave to ride in a safe place,no fires,no hurricanes,no typhoons,no floods, etc. Also has anyone ever built a shipping base (not a box) for a Goldwing. Would like to build one out of metal that a forklift could put in and out of a trailer.
Any help would be,well, you know. Thanks to all. Darryl

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Heading for Phoenix

Postby tandem54 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi, you should be happy with the temps in January. Here is what it looked like in January 2013

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/surpri ... 1/01/2013#
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:29 pm

You shouldn't have any unforeseen weather in January and can probably ride from Phoenix to Florida without any difficulty, being from the Great White North. I lived in New Mexico for three years, and rode for 365 days a year, except for a freak snowstorm that shut us down for three days. We had almost 18 inches of snow overnight Christmas Eve, 1987, which was gone in three days. Nights are cool, and can even get below freezing once in a while, especially on bridges over running water, but other than that, should be no problem. The New Mexico natives would not ride till about three in the afternoon during the winter season, but a Canadian shouldn't find it that cold.

On a shipping base. Are not the crates the new bikes come in made of beamed metal, with tie downs, and then cardboard tops to cover the bike? Go to a dealership that has Goldwings and ask to see one. That would give you an idea of how to go about replicating it. I doubt if they would give you one, as they are likely recycled. It is an idea anyway.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

OldGuyOnABike

Postby OldGuyOnABike » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:34 pm

Well that's hot enough for me . Thanks T54

OldGuyOnABike

Postby OldGuyOnABike » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks for the excellent information. Never even thought of going to the dealer to see about how all our babies are delivered :lol: .. You are right about the temperature. When I drove to work in late fall ( about 40 miles ) I could drive until 6 degrees (42.8F). My limit was 5. my fingers used to freeze because they were outside of the windscreen ( Nomad ). Now with the Wing and heated everything I am sure that limit could be pushed. Even this fall with cool temp I found the heated hand grips to be just fabulous. We had icy roads early so had to park it. Mind you for the last month (Oct) I still had the nose pointed out towards the garage door to leave at a moments notice :cry: that never happened.( my last riding day was Oct 31 )
Thanks again for the input, on a next trip to the east coast I'll stop by and bring a beer for you. :)

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:14 am

Just let me know when you are coming through. Might even be able to provide a bed for you for the night. PMs work best as the site emails us when we get a PM. Have a great Arizona trip. I cannot go this year as my wife had a stroke and she is not recovering quickly enough for this winter.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

OldGuyOnABike

Postby OldGuyOnABike » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:36 am

Thanks for the offer on the visit. When I'm headed that way will most certainly give you a heads up. Sorry to hear about the wife, that's a tough situation. I've had heart problems my self and I know first hand it's no fun. Take care my friend, and thanks again for the info. Wishing your wife a speedy recovery.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”