Shipping

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Shipping

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:39 am

Can somebody(my US friends) explain to me why a quite a few individuals and suppliers for that matter won't ship to Canada?I'm not talking about shipping anything large I'm talking stuff that can be sent via the USPS.I've sent numerous smaller packages to the States and it's no different than mailing it across town.Just a different address.Most of the time I've paid the shipping myself as it's that cheap to do,but we all know for the most part the buyer pays all the related cost of shipping.
So why is it people are so reluctant to ship to Canada?

Seems to me you're just limiting your sales market.

If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Sagebrush
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
1982 GL1100
2001 GL1800 CSC Trike
2002 GL1800

Re: Shipping

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:46 am

I've shipped to Canada in the past and the only thing that I can think of is the extra hassle of filling out the customs forms. At best they can be a bit tedious.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:59 am

It's been an issue for me too. wouldn't be the first time that I get a US contact to forward something on for me. I may be in just that situation right now. Still waiting for an eBay seller to get back to me on a cable I need for my snowblower that isn't available from the big H anymore.

Seems to me that UPS will come to your door and pick things up for shipment but that USPS doesn't. don't know if that's true.

I've also noticed that USPS rates have risen significantly, cashing in on the cross border commerce. Many times the shipping and possibility of Customs charges negate a purchase. Our dollar has also dropped back a bit.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:15 am

USPS definitely will come to your door and pick up shipments.

I think the major reason (at least for USPS shipments) is that in the US, if I ship something, I get it tracked, I can see where the package is at any time, and I can see when and where it was delivered.

If I ship the same package to Canada, once it passes the border, all tracking ceases. I have no idea if or when it was delivered, and more importantly, I have no PROOF that it was delivered in case a client claims it was not.

The alternative to that is to send it via courier, but as Canadians know, couriers (particularly UPS) absolutely screw over the recipients when it comes to brokerage "fees" (on top of Canada Customs fees) - that can sometimes approach the value of the item being shipped!

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:29 pm

WingAdmin wrote:If I ship the same package to Canada, once it passes the border, all tracking ceases. I have no idea if or when it was delivered, and more importantly, I have no PROOF that it was delivered in case a client claims it was not.

I'm not so sure about that. I've had a few things shipped and been given a US tracking number. Once the package enters Canada I can enter that tracking number on Canada Post site and it is tracked. If you are following it on USPS site it may not get updated.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:55 pm

Thanks for the replies.Any time I've sent something the nice lady at the post office fills in the customs paperwork for me so just a couple of questions and you're done.Must be more BS in the States.
I knew about the brokerage fees and customs charges but like I say if I'm buying that's on me right?
Anyways I guess I'll have to stick to getting my buddy to bring my stuff up for me.

Thanks
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:12 am

The Customs form is universal, with only language being the difference - ours are English and French, but I guess Chinese, Russian, and Greek, for example, would have slightly different.

Customs are wary of gifts, so it is not a good idea to just categorize the contents as "Gift". Customs in Oz do not collect any duty on shipments of less than $1 000, because it costs too much to collect the duty/tariff/Goods and Service Tax (like Sales Tax/VAT), but the parcels I send to friends in the USA cost an arm and a leg because of the US postal charges. Ours are not much better, but then we have a large country, and not many people, so there is an excuse there.

The way out of this, is to have a friend in USA take delivery of the goods in the USA (look for "free transport in the lower 48"), and then have the friend post or courier the item to you. Of course, find out the cheapest way to courier, and if you have Customs Brokers involved, you can select one of your own - you do not have to use UPS. Shop around, and find the least expensive and efficient way to do it.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:11 pm

I have an e-bay store and I ship to Canada (& all over the world) with no problems.
It's easy on e-bay, when you go to print the shipping label it will ask you to complete the customs form, only a couple question.
And WingAdmin is right the USPS picks up right at my door, all I do is leave a note in my mail box that says I have a package ready.
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:48 pm

There are many, including ebayers, that will not ship to Canada. I have talked several into relaxing their reticence, and they have then shipped to Canada thereby opening a new market for them. Some I have not managed to talk into it. Retailers, on the other hand, all seem to be willing to try it. One thing I do try to get U.S. sellers to do, is ship via USPS, and if not possible, then DHL and finally, on occasion, FedEx. I do not wish to be sent anything via UPS at any time, from outside Canada. Within Canada, UPS is as good as it is within the U.S. however as was already mentioned, their brokerage charges are terrible.

If all that fails, and a seller will not ship to Canada, I just search for a different seller.

The reasons I have been given are the hassles of shipping to Canada, which usually means that the seller has never tried it, and the second reason is that if the order gets screwed up then it is a hassle on both ends and creates bad feelings between seller and buyer. I have a simple answer for that one. Don't screw up the order. I did have that happen with America's Best Trailers, when I bought a hitch for my Goldwing from them, on ebay. He had gotten a returned hitch, and did not check the box prior to resending it to me. Half the hardware was missing, so he had to resend. He became very upset, but if he had checked the box when it was returned, prior to turning it around, he would have had the opportunity to replenish the hardware. We purchased a pack of three more hitches from him, and he got his sense of humor back.

Oh, incidentally, I buy a lot of stuff online and probably 80% of it used to be from the U.S. Amazon.ca has now begun to carry a lot, Newegg.ca and Tigerdirect.ca a lot more, so I have probably dropped to around 40% of my purchases being from the U.S. Cyclemax Ohio still gets a good bit of business from me, and they get the orders right. One day I intend to drop in on their brick and mortar store.

And to round this out... When items are too large to come USPS, or I cannot find a retailer who will ship that way, I keep U.S. addresses in both Niagara Falls NY and Sault Ste Marie MI, to which I have things sent. Generally it costs me $6.50 per package, which is more than made up by the tiny or no cost shipping within the U.S. It only requires one to plan their trips to the U.S. in the proper direction in order to retrieve the packages on the way home. I like to visit Bay City MI, so SSM is really handy for the return trip, and my son lives in St Catharines ON, about fifteen miles from Niagara Falls NY.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “Goldwing Chat”