Honda Service Dept. ....Cry-babies!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
achowler1
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Honda Service Dept. ....Cry-babies!

Postby achowler1 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:46 pm

I recently purchased new rubber for my Wing from ridedirect.com. I bought front and rear Dunlop 404's and they were delivered to my house for 137.00 with shipping! Yeah, so that was some money saved for other Wing-enhancements! I found a Goodyear tire shop that mounted and balanced my front tire for $18.95 (Wheel off bike and new bearings installed by ME). Awesome! So, 2 weeks later i have the rear tire in my pickup and i'm heading out of town for the weekend with plans of swinging by the Goodyear shop for the second transplant. Oops, the bike tire guy's saturday off! So, i head to my destination and called all the places i could for the tire swap. THIS IS PATHETIC!!! I found only 1 bike shop that would do the job after re-assuring them the wheel had brand new bearings in it. The other 7 places i called either had to have the "whole bike", "cant mount internet tires" (LOL), or it was gonna be $80.00 flat rate plus weights! Some people just don't understand the fact that "NOBODY TOUCHES MY WING!" So thank you HONDA for messin with us "Vintage Bikers" and i can reassure Honda that my next Wing will be purchased as a repairable and will forfeit their little monopoly! Like i say, when all else fails, "WING IT!"... By the way, you can tell how old your tires are by the DOT XXXXXXX on the tire.. my new tires are DOTXXX2108. Which means the tires were made in the 21st week of 2008. i bought new tires that were 2 years old...its ok though, there wont be any tread left in a couple years!!! LOL!!

Five
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100 I
1987 CBR 600 Hurricane
1989 ZXR 750
1999 KTM 380 MXC

Re: Honda Service Dept. ....Cry-babies!

Postby Five » Tue May 04, 2010 8:52 pm

A lot of shops won't mount tires you didn't buy from them. Sucks, and bad business in my opinion, but it's the truth.
Condition Black: Not in any particular state of mental readiness but still prepared and willing to kill everything in your general area without provocation.

Jeeper
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Jeeper » Wed May 05, 2010 8:46 am

Five wrote:A lot of shops won't mount tires you didn't buy from them. Sucks, and bad business in my opinion, but it's the truth.

I don't know if its bad business or just a fact of these out of control insurance companies and lawsuits. Today when a dry-cleaner can get sued for millions of dollars because they ruined 1 pair of pants, I can understand any shop owner being a bit cautious. You're asking a shop to assume liability for a product they didn't sell. Granted, if the tire ever blew, or the wheel fell off the bike, or any number of other things that might go wrong went wrong you would not go back and sue the guy who put the tire on, but that's because you're a nice guy. The problem is there are people out there who will do that. Until someone smartens up and they change the laws regarding lawsuits, don't expect it to get better. Its a sad fact of life now.

Five
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100 I
1987 CBR 600 Hurricane
1989 ZXR 750
1999 KTM 380 MXC

Postby Five » Wed May 05, 2010 9:04 am

Good point, but the tire manufacturer would be a more likely target for legal action. And, tire mounting is almost pure profit for a a small shop. Eh, I see both sides of the argument.
Condition Black: Not in any particular state of mental readiness but still prepared and willing to kill everything in your general area without provocation.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 05, 2010 9:25 am

For the $80 they wanted to charge you, you could buy all the tools you need to do it yourself, and then it's FREE the next time you do it:

How to remove and remount your tires

mitch7022

Postby mitch7022 » Sat May 08, 2010 1:57 pm

I too got tired of paying high prices to get internet tires mounted, so I went to harbor freight and bought a couple of tire irons and a bead breaker and will mount my own tires from now on. To get around the balancing issue, I bought dyna beads to put in the tires. No more begging and being taken across because I want to save a few bucks.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”