2014 Goldwing = Disappointment!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
mgm1854
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800, nav, comfort,audio
2002 GL1800

2014 Goldwing = Disappointment!

Postby mgm1854 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:33 am

I was really looking for Honda to do some major improvements to the 2014 Goldwing. Instead all they did was change the color, big deal. Harleys, BMWs, event the new Indians have LED/HID lighting, Bluetooth, electronic suspension, drive by wire and lots of other tech improvements. It seem like Honda is letting their flagship touring bike fall behind the other manufacturers. I now see that Honda is coming out with new "bagger" models with high tech features and big improvements over the Goldwing.

I was really looking forward to purchasing a new 2014 model, but I can always just repaint my 2010 and save a lot of money. Heck I might even look at something else that is improved. Come on Honda, wake up and do some improvements on your number 1 touring product.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: 2014 Goldwing = Disappointment!

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:56 am

Is this what you were hoping for??

]

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:05 am

I have to agree - it's not just falling behind other manufacturers, it's falling behind itself! There are other Honda bikes now (CTX1300 for one) with factory Bluetooth, ABS, traction control, LED lighting, all premium features that should without question be present (or at least available) on their premium flagship bike.

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:18 pm

Now that is an awesome looking concept bike, I'd buy that for sure.
They are really dropping the ball, how do they expect to compete with all the new bikes that have all the options??
The other manufacturers seemed to be comparing them self's to the Goldwing and trying to match it's options, But not much longer!?
This is a huge market and I can't believe they are not keeping up!
If/when I am going to buy another bike I would have to say I will look at them all. :oops: :cry:
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

Hammer5150
Motorcycle: 2006 GW 1800

Postby Hammer5150 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:12 pm

I found the dealer here in Lakewood, Ca to be real jerks. I am through with dealers. Harley people across the country have been helpful
and respectful to a Winger. I love my GW but my dealership has been the worst.

silverado6x6
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Postby silverado6x6 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:28 am

I had a financial choice for 2014, either a new or slightly used GL1800 or another newer SUV, so I bought a very good used 2012 Chevy Equinox AWD with 27k miles, certified and with an extended warranty for $24,000, thats cheaper than a new GL1800 with a few needed options I believe.

I'll keep my 95 GL1500 on the road for now thank you Honda, but come up with something to draw me the consumer back and then maybe I will purchase your products, right now your Goldwing is about as fresh as last weeks doughnuts.
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:01 am

I guess this discussion must be a matter of perspective. I rode Harleys for 47 years, and in October 2010 I bought a 2009 Airbag GL1800, brand new in the crate. US prices I paid a lot, but Canadian prices I got an okay deal. I paid $25,000. My Honda dealer threw in Leather Jackets, and other stuff, and all the accessories I bought at the same time as the bike came at cost. At that time, the only thing Harley had over this 2009 Goldwing was drive by wire, and Harley's drive by wire was not working very well. I have been exceedingly happy with this Goldwing. I am not looking for a new one right now, and if they upgraded the new ones with drive by wire, and bluetooth and electronic suspension, it would not get me to buy a new one. I still think Honda has an awesome touring bike and I don't mind that they have not changed it. Even the lack of the long looked for 2 liter engine is not a deal breaker in my mind. 1832 cc's of power making six cylinder engine is lots for me. I do understand that people want more modern technology, but I do not see the real requirement for it. I rode the newer Harleys since I got this Goldwing, and I can not be enticed back to the HD fold. The new BMWs are still for much taller people than I, as my feet don't touch the ground on them. The only competition to this Goldwing, IMNSHOpinion, is a Victory, and their ungodly spaceship like styling just ain't for me. The old caveat that "you cannot please all the people all the time" holds true here. I had my own version of the 'angries' at Honda over the GPS BS, but between Garmin and I, I got that fixed to my satisfaction. I had my views on the stereo system, but an mp3 player and Polk Audio speakers fixed that. I just gotta say - I love this Goldwing.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:36 am

themainviking wrote:I guess this discussion must be a matter of perspective. I rode Harleys for 47 years, and in October 2010 I bought a 2009 Airbag GL1800, brand new in the crate. US prices I paid a lot, but Canadian prices I got an okay deal. I paid $25,000. My Honda dealer threw in Leather Jackets, and other stuff, and all the accessories I bought at the same time as the bike came at cost. At that time, the only thing Harley had over this 2009 Goldwing was drive by wire, and Harley's drive by wire was not working very well. I have been exceedingly happy with this Goldwing. I am not looking for a new one right now, and if they upgraded the new ones with drive by wire, and bluetooth and electronic suspension, it would not get me to buy a new one. I still think Honda has an awesome touring bike and I don't mind that they have not changed it. Even the lack of the long looked for 2 liter engine is not a deal breaker in my mind. 1832 cc's of power making six cylinder engine is lots for me. I do understand that people want more modern technology, but I do not see the real requirement for it. I rode the newer Harleys since I got this Goldwing, and I can not be enticed back to the HD fold. The new BMWs are still for much taller people than I, as my feet don't touch the ground on them. The only competition to this Goldwing, IMNSHOpinion, is a Victory, and their ungodly spaceship like styling just ain't for me. The old caveat that "you cannot please all the people all the time" holds true here. I had my own version of the 'angries' at Honda over the GPS BS, but between Garmin and I, I got that fixed to my satisfaction. I had my views on the stereo system, but an mp3 player and Polk Audio speakers fixed that. I just gotta say - I love this Goldwing.

I think you may have missed the point of the OP's thread starter!!!
I have a 06 w/Hannigan trike conversion and absolutely love this trike.
However, the heated seat is really useless in cold weather and the heat barley perceptible in cool weather! The expensive Nav system is not user friendly at all. By the time you have completely entered and edited a route to get the roads you want, you have pretty much learned the route and don't need the Nav!!!!!!
Now Honda has moved the Wing to Japan making it 100% imported and have fallen way behind on keeping up with items being made available on other bikes.
As of right now, there will be no more new Wings for me!!!!
I am impressed with the audio system of the new HD Ultra Limited. However, they missed the boat on the water cooled "Rushmore" motor!!!
They are water cooling the heads only and the radiators are in the lower leg guards making it impossible to remove them during hot weather!!! Seems more heat has been added instead of removed!!!!!
BMW seems to be trying to design for dealership service required, instead of being able to work on your own bike! And their dealers are few and far between!!!!!
Rant over!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:30 pm

tfdeputydawg wrote:I think you may have missed the point of the OP's thread starter!!!

No, I do not believe I missed the original point of the thread. I do not care that the 2014 did not come out with all the new techie toys, and that was my point. That is what I meant when I said it seemed to be a matter of perspective. The OP was upset by it, I am not. I was not attempting to denigrate anyone, and I did not quote anyone in my comments, as you did. I explained why the lack of said new tech was not a deal breaker for me, that is all. I am entitled to my opinion, just as you are, and just as everyone else who responded in this thread, and every thread on every forum are. Please try to respect that, and in return, I shall respect your opinion. Have a great day officerdawg.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:34 pm

The concept bike looks a bit intimidating for the DIY crowd. I can change my 1500's air filter in a few minutes but I have heard the 1800 is much more involved. The concept looks like a maintenance nightmare to me! I do like the front styling but it was hard to tell if there was much driver/rider protection. And the position of the passanger backrest looks to be leaning away from the driver. My S.O. would have a sore back with that feature.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:59 pm

Fiberthree wrote:The concept bike looks a bit intimidating for the DIY crowd. I can change my 1500's air filter in a few minutes but I have heard the 1800 is much more involved. The concept looks like a maintenance nightmare to me! I do like the front styling but it was hard to tell if there was much driver/rider protection. And the position of the passanger backrest looks to be leaning away from the driver. My S.O. would have a sore back with that feature.

The 1800's air filter is buried deep within and requires a fair bit of disassembly to get to.

The lack of ease of maintenance is something I bemoan with all new vehicles. When I got my first car and bike, there was no part of either of them that I didn't know how it worked, and couldn't fix. That's still true of my GL1500, however my car is so ridiculously complex that I haven't the slightest chance of being able to do much to it more than change the oil and replace a fuse. As more and more gadgets and technology are added to bikes, this same thing is happening. And while cars can grow bigger to contain all the gadgetry and technology, bikes realistically cannot - so all those things are stuffed into every possible nook and cranny, making the bikes a maintenance nightmare. It already takes me a full hour to just get the rear wheel off of my GL1500.

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Postby offcenter » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:06 am

I have to agree with Wingadmin on this.
In '74 I bought a BMW R90/6 new. Rode it over 170,000 miles.
95 percent of needed maintenance on that bike could be done
with the took kit that came with the bike. Very little else was
needed. And EVERYTHING is easy to get at.
My 76 GL is my first "modern" bike. Quite a bit more complicated
than the Beemer. The first thing it needed was a water pump which
meant I had to buy some tools that I didn't have. Plus it was a bit
of a pain to replace. (in 30 plus years of riding, I don't ever recall
my Beemer needing a water pump. :lol: )
I can only imagine how difficult it would be to work on the new ones.
Yes! BMWs too! Their new bikes look as bad as anyone else's.
A friend has hinted that he would like me to have his 99 GL1500.
I'm on the fence on this since the bike does not look at all like
it would be easy to work on.
We'll see...
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Postby wing rider 2012 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:19 pm

I guess the saying, be careful what you ask for, may come into play here. I'm not one for all the techie add ons on a bike, I worked in the electronics field for 35 years, and it seems the more advanced electronics become the more of a headache they are and on a vehicle they start to become a distraction. Those things may look cool on a bike but in the end they're going to cost you, not only in money but maybe in downtime, and like Wingadmin said, they will be a nightmare to work on. You'll have to invest in high tech equipment just to do simple maintenance on your bike, or have it sit at a dealers shop for a couple of month until they figure out how to work on them.
The Gold Wing is a reliable, comfortable and long lasting bike, I like it that way.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

gwbldad
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby gwbldad » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:40 pm

The newer bikes look and ride nice - when they work. When they are broke, it is an expensive (and time consuming) endeavor to have them fixed at the dealer. My first 'Wing was a 1975 that I bought used, and I performed all of the maintenance and few repairs needed myself. I presently own a 1983 Interstate, and have done all of the routine maintenance (oil changes, brake pad replace, air filter replacement, etc.) in my garage. I am currently troubleshooting a rear brake problem, and cringe at the thought of bringing it to the dealership in my neighborhood. Reading this forum does not make me feel any better about dealerships in general...

MaconWing
Motorcycle: '04 GL1800A Titanium

Postby MaconWing » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:22 am

I'm going to agree with the intent of the original poster. I'm riding an '04 GL1800 with ABS. I've loved this ride and I've never done anything but normal maintenance. It just keeps on going. But this year I was getting "the itch". I wanted to update. I didn't want to put more money in dressing up my '04, I was ready to look at the '14. My aftermarket money is generally reserved for comfort or safety. Highway pegs, extra lighting, headlight and tail light modulators, etc. My hopes on the '14 was standard LED lighting, bluetooth (you've already got all the audio, take that one last step and go wireless), maybe a 6th gear overdrive. But all that really came with the 2014 pricing was new colors. That new paint seems really expensive.

Rumbo
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby Rumbo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:21 pm

I understand wanting the latest and greatest technology. But, with the increase technology comes a lesser ability for us to work on our own bikes. I enjoy doing some on my own maintenance and installing of goodies. If your not careful you can ruin some of the electronics by using a multimeter on the wrong circuit. Just my $.02

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:24 pm

Rumbo wrote:I understand wanting the latest and greatest technology. But, with the increase technology comes a lesser ability for us to work on our own bikes. I enjoy doing some on my own maintenance and installing of goodies. If your not careful you can ruin some of the electronics by using a multimeter on the wrong circuit. Just my $.02

Any modern digital multimeter has extremely high impedance, and can safely be used to measure any modern digital circuit without damage.

However, an old-style analog "needle" multimeter can definitely cause damage when reading delicate digital circuitry.

MaconWing
Motorcycle: '04 GL1800A Titanium

Postby MaconWing » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:31 pm

LED lighting and Bluetooth should hardly "overtech" the bike.

Rumbo

Postby Rumbo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:34 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Rumbo wrote:I understand wanting the latest and greatest technology. But, with the increase technology comes a lesser ability for us to work on our own bikes. I enjoy doing some on my own maintenance and installing of goodies. If your not careful you can ruin some of the electronics by using a multimeter on the wrong circuit. Just my $.02

Any modern digital multimeter has extremely high impedance, and can safely be used to measure any modern digital circuit without damage.

However, an old-style analog "needle" multimeter can definitely cause damage when reading delicate digital circuitry.

Really?? Try placing your modern multimeter on "ohms" and get across the impact sensor circuit for the "SIR" and let me know how it works out for you.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:41 pm

Rumbo wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:

Really?? Try placing your modern multimeter on "ohms" and get across the impact sensor circuit for the "SIR" and let me know how it works out for you.

OK, obviously using a meter (any meter) set to measure ohms, where it is producing voltage, is not the correct way to measure anything that may be of digital or sensitive nature.

Rumbo

Postby Rumbo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:55 pm

OK, obviously using a meter (any meter) set to measure ohms, where it is producing voltage, is not the correct way to measure anything that may be of digital or sensitive nature.

You can be using the meter, test light, noid light or any other electronic test equipment and damage today's electronics. I watched a tater head looking for a ground wire fire every air bags on a 2013 Mustang, $5K later the customer got his car back. I do not think most folks on here are electrical experts. I have 30 years experience working on automobiles and sometimes I have to take a double take on the Goldwing wiring diagrams. My original point is, with technology comes the need for higher skill levels that the average DIY motorcycle owner may not have. To some this may even take away a little of the fun of ownership, it would for me. So, technology may not always be best in every case.

silverado6x6
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Postby silverado6x6 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:09 am

It is something to consider about getting too technical, but then I remember years ago the computer craze and CPU speed, everyone was building their own puters trying to outdo each other, now 12 year olds can build a puter. When I bought my 2002 Chevy Silverado I was absolutely afraid every time I tried to install an LED, an HID or something I was gonna blow an expensive CPU or BCM.
But then I learned how to use an OBD scanner, and then I had an 05 Aztek, lots of electrical gremlims, got tired of going to the dealer so I educated myself and fixed them myself.
But we seem to have more new riders who cannot get into the wrench turning mode properly, how many times have I seen a new bike owner get totally frustrated when they cannot even simply perform an oil change? They are the ones who ride it like a horse in a storm and put said horse up wet over and over. That horse gets pretty darn worn out soon.
So my prediction is this, the more tech on a Wing the more we will see neglected Wings years later. No working ABS or has been hacked out, airbags sold on the black market, stewart warner gauges installed in holesawed panels cause the circuits died in the dash, dead NAV screens.

It actually may be a grand buyers market in the future.
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Postby waituntilthebeep » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:42 pm

This is all the way of the world when it comes to rolling stock. I have been looking at the newer Wings and am not impressed at all by them. That includes the less newer ones like 2010 and up. Where is the personality? Where is the eye appeal? I mean sheesk! The newer Wings look like a tiny Honda car... tiny tail lights, tiny running lights. Featureless!. I ride an '89 Wing and it has lots of curves, lights and personality. Granted, the tech is not there. It has a tape deck of which I don't own tape one anymore. I too had the itch and was looking at a new one and decided that I can put a whole lot of snazz on my 'ol bike for the price of a smooth as a baby's butt 2013. I WANT to be seen on my bike. It's not a vanity thing, it's a safety thing. The flash, the sparkle, it all makes your presence known. PLUS, it looks pretty darn good sitting where people can see it. I don't like all the high maintenance chrome that HD's and others have so a Wing is my choice. Instead of buying a new bike, I am going to buy another '89 and use it for a parts bike. I will strip it down and go through the motor/trans and make a turn key replacement out of it. I will take the stock stereo out (the cb and intercom doesn't work anyway) and fab a fiberglass filler to mount the remote face of a marine radio to and put the receiver in the trunk. I can put the top tech on an old bike for far cheaper than replacing it. I am just sad that Honda went the way of all the other car manufacturers and made their Wings generic. I wouldn't own an HD just because of the price but dang , they do have some nice looking rides.

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:22 pm

I think my 1988 GL1500 looks great! I didn't think anyone else would share that until the other day I was sitting/moving slow in traffic, when I looked over and a couple next to me gave me the thumbs up and said nice bike!! Yes I am very proud of her :D :)
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:54 pm

waituntilthebeep wrote: I wouldn't own an HD just because of the price but dang , they do have some nice looking rides.

HD Ultra Limited- $30,589
Honda GL-1800AL-$29,999
CDN List prices off their respective websites.

That's pretty.

Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

Return to “Goldwing Chat”