Cleaned Start Button

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Cleaned Start Button

Postby tandem54 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Went for a ride on New years day and had NO headlights when I started the bike.
I checked the fuses then re-started the bike and now I have lights!!
First time I was able to ride on New Years Day! (I add a set of used intercoms to the helmets & needed to try them out!)
I know the switch controls the lights when starting, So today I disassembled, cleaned and greased the Start/Reverse Button (25 years of grime!)
Had to be careful, I hate it when plastic breaks and I'd hate to see what a switch costs!! (or where to get one)
So I cleaned and greased throttle grip too, checked it all and now I HAVE lights!
(PS the intercoms worked great!)

I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Cleaned Start Button

Postby redial » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:53 am

I hear that Olive Oil works well on brittle plastic. Leave it sit for a while, then wipe the excess off. Have a go while the cook is not using the oil for cooking.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:49 pm

I rode for a month before I knew my start button wasn't returning all the way and keeping the headlight off......gone are the days of chrome car bumpers in from of you to give you a hint the lights weren't on. It took me a week to figure out what was going on.......Using my principal that the most obvious is the last thing you check. A simple external spray of WD40 worked....... Not so lucky before I broke the stuck flashers.

Anyway, now sticking my thumb behind the starter button has become second nature..........
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:35 am

I have my bike in the garage all the time and see the lights on when I start it,
but I didn't want to have to worry about it when I'm on the road. I went to the store after that and I was worried the whole time.
I know it's illegal to not have them on and I didn't want to get stopped for that,
I figured it would scare me if a cop pulled me over!! :o :o
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:20 pm

It's great to be an American and be afraid to have a cop pull U over....but it is true.....I figure I can just fire them on the spot seeing as my hard earned dolaars pay their wages....It is amazing how cops view themselves in this society today....All I can say is if you're that afraid to talk to someone without threatening to taze them....Best Buy may be where you belong!!!!!!!!

"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

Return to “Goldwing Chat”