Delimma - GL1800 or GL1500

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Spook1800
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800
1995 GL1500A
1999 Harley Davidson Road King

Delimma - GL1800 or GL1500

Postby Spook1800 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:52 am

As in the above Subject line. I have a 1995 GL1500 on which I have just recently spent $3400 on repairs caused by an apparently almost unheard of problem, being the driven gear on the starter lunching itself and sending metal bits into the ring gear and other nearby components thereby requiring the engine to be removed from the frame. This bike has done 100k and other than that problem has never given an ounce of trouble. I'm pretty attached to this machine as not only have I owned it since new, it also carries on the dash a replica of one of my most favourite and faithful dogs, since gone to doggie heaven.
In addition to that one I have a 2005 GL1800 which I bought used in 2011, it having at that stage only travelled 5000 kms from new. It has now done 20,000km.
I'm retired and an aged pensioner and like so many of my era (1948 model) I have limited resources but own everything we have including our home.
Economic common sense says fairly loudly that I should sell one Gold Wing and ride the other, but which one? I must admit to leaning toward selling the 2005 but every time I ride either bike I get cold feet about moving it on.
I'd be interested to hear opinions from you lot. What do you reckon?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
When the last tree has been cut down, when the last stream is poisoned, only then will mankind realise that we can not eat money!
I'm Larry the Spook and I'm ALMOST NORMAL!

silverado6x6
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Re: Delimma - GL1800 or GL1500

Postby silverado6x6 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:49 am

I live in Alaska, 57, I manage a concrete batch plant, drive the trucks, wrench everything, and I have 12 motorcycles. No less than 6 can be ridden when the roads are clear, they range from a 2009 Star 1300 Tourer all the way down to an un touched 77 Yamaha XS750 triple, two Wings that run, a 95 Aspencade being transformed into an SE right at the moment, an 85 I traded a rifle for that needs a paint job, some plastic and seat repairs, but runs. Two more Wings but they are basically rolling basket cases, spare parts or are just waiting to get lucky if I get more parts for them.
But I have others I love to ride, like an 89 Yamaha Venture Royale that personally to me is better than the Goldwing of the same year/era.

I would love to have a new Wing but frankly because I can only ride 6 months a year its not high on my buying list, I just bought a 2012 Chevy Equinox cheaper than a new Goldwing. But I bought the Nox because the 2005 Aztek the wifey drives lost a head gasket, its AWD and thus was not a good vehicle to use during an Alaska winter, I just repaired the engine but its still just FWD for now as the AWD quit working, the Nox is far newer, has a better AWD and is under warranty. The Aztek frankly really was not worth repairing, first chance I get I'll unload it, even completely fixed its still a POS.

The GL1500 is one fine machine, every day I search for another on Craigslist, I see tons of GL1800 and GL1100 Wings but actually very few GL1500 Wings, people keep them. Right now the GL1800 is still priced too high for me any year, the GL1500 can be found under $5000 if your lucky, in my case the PO just needed quick cash, had no patience to fix minor issues and frankly only wanted a NEW Wing, to him an old Wing was disposable, so I gave the guy a hunting rifle and $1000 cash for the bike. Rode it to work after getting the tires aired and replacing battery. And ever since then I have been polishing adding and modding it, its value here in Alaska if it was put up for sale would be over $7000, and thats a fact.

I say keep the GL1500, buy the GL1800 if you can afford it, can get your riding time with it and have Honda still maintain it, from what I gather its a more difficult bike to maintain than earlier models. But a fresher bike usually means less down down, the Gl1500 actually is more popular to own than the GL1800 from what I think I have seen across several Wing forums. Its a good bike to keep as its value stays very good. It would also sell in a heartbeat if times got rough, any time of the year.
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:52 am

If I absolutely needed the money I would sell one of them. First question to self. What will I do with the money if I sell one? When it's gone its gone. The bike and the money.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

silverado6x6

Postby silverado6x6 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:25 am

Sorry mate, I forgot you own both bikes, early morning my time it was, anyway and now i also see you were in Oz, thought you were in the states, you know just what any Goldwing is worth in Oz I take it? nearly their weight in gold is braggin but I have seen the prices of just sub 1000cc bikes there. heck I would rent the Gl1800 out to select riding tourists if I had both, or the 1500 if its up to the task. If i were to fly down there I would ask you that very question, would you rent either one out to an experienced Wing owner. By all means keep the Wings in Oz!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:20 pm

I do not like to sell bikes. They are too personal to me. I buy them, and then I fix them and then I mod them and then I keep them. I keep only one insured full time, and it is a GL1800, which is a downright pleasure to ride for most things. If I get the urge to ride one of the others, I call up the broker and get insurance put on it, then when I get tired of it, I take the insurance back off. None of the bikes costs me money because they are paid for, and have been since I bought them. Only a three were bought new, the rest were used when acquired. I agree with Silverado that if they cost nothing to keep, then keep them both. The GL1500 tho, just cost your $3400 to fix. I also agree with Silverado that you could make some money renting out the GL1800. I also would be willing to rent it from you if I came to Oz. I would even be willing to have you ride with me to show me around and ensure that I treated your bike right. We are both 1948 models, so we could probably get on.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Spook1800
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800
1995 GL1500A
1999 Harley Davidson Road King

Postby Spook1800 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:42 pm

Thanks for your input, fellas. You've reinforced what I feel deep down, and that is to keep them both. It's pretty hard to part with a damn fine motorcycle, I must say. They are both staying and my grandsons can sort them out when I croak. Bloody hell, I hope those bikes are true antiques by the time that happens eh? :lol:
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
When the last tree has been cut down, when the last stream is poisoned, only then will mankind realise that we can not eat money!
I'm Larry the Spook and I'm ALMOST NORMAL!

silverado6x6

Postby silverado6x6 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:01 pm

A couple years back I had this big dream of heading to Oz, getting a touring bike and just riding, with a camper trailer behind, a metal detector, a good cell phone and my other electronics I could do whatever I want, write a book, make a movie or just a ton of YouTubes. But things have a way of nailing a person down, our US dollar is too weak, the VAT tax in oz makes buying even a moderate $15,000 bike nearly $20,000. And then getting any kind of work is one great big hassle unless you stay off the books. I even conversed with a fella that was willing to pick up parcels of one of my bikes a 1980 Honda CX500 deluxe, i would ship it in pieces and assemble there, ride it like a bandit and then sell it.
But a Goldwing in Oz is like having a Rolls Royce limousine! To the Op, please go ahead and explain to the readers here in the states just how often you even see a Harley there, or what you have to go through to ship a bike in from another country. I know, its a royal pain. I may be not fully informed all the facts but just having a large touring bike is exceptional in Oz. From what I gather most riders can only afford much smaller bikes.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:45 pm

A couple years back I had this big dream of heading to Oz, getting a touring bike and just riding, with a camper trailer behind, a metal detector, a good cell phone and my other electronics I could do whatever I want, write a book, make a movie or just a ton of YouTubes. But things have a way of nailing a person down, our US dollar is too weak,

Currently the AU$1.00 = US$0.89

the VAT tax in oz makes buying even a moderate $15,000 bike nearly $20,000.

Not quite true, GST (goods and services tax) which is not the same as a value added tax, is levied at 10%. However, you can avoid the GST, by importing a bike yourself, with the promise that you will export it at the end of your journey. That way you can avoid some of the other imposts.

And then getting any kind of work is one great big hassle unless you stay off the books.

With the way mining is going ahead here, there is a big demand for labour, the only trouble is that some of these places are hot and remote. If you have skills that can be used, there is no problem with getting a visa to allow you to work.

even conversed with a fella that was willing to pick up parcels of one of my bikes a 1980 Honda CX500 deluxe, i would ship it in pieces and assemble there, ride it like a bandit and then sell it.

All vehicles, manufactured prior to 1Jan89, are exempt from Australian Design Rules (ADR), and as long as you get an import permit for the vehicle, can be imported without restriction or modification, and then registered for road use with the associated compliance plate. No Australian compliance plate, and you are not able to register the vehicle for road use. Depending on how it is imported, (ie what immigration visa you have), you can be free of all taxes, but will still have to pay someone to do the paperwork for Customs, and have the vehicle steam cleaned (all vehicles have to be steam cleaned at the point of entry), and after a certain period you will be able to sell it.

But a Goldwing in Oz is like having a Rolls Royce limousine! To the Op, please go ahead and explain to the readers here in the states just how often you even see a Harley there, or what you have to go through to ship a bike in from another country. I know, its a royal pain. I may be not fully informed all the facts but just having a large touring bike is exceptional in Oz. From what I gather most riders can only afford much smaller bikes.

Goldwings are scarce, but that is because they are so expensive. You can buy two small cars for the same price as a GW!

To get a motorcycle licence, (which varies slightly from State to State), you are restricted to around 250cc for a while - until you learn to fall off properly :roll: . It is after a couple of years when you can graduate to a larger mc, and then it is when you can get a GW - providing you have enough cash.

There are a lot of smaller mc, but there are also a large number of HD. The HD are the preferred rides for those with a hearing problem, outlaw mc 'clubs', and for those that like to pose with the wannabes.

The climate here is very suitable to mc riding, so despite some of the hurdles, I do like to ride.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”