HF mania

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

HF mania

Postby Dogsled » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:39 pm

We have a dying 'PLAZA' in our town with one store that is never short of 20 cars in front of it....Harbor Freight......
They opened a bar next door, now that's flourishing........Hmmmmmmm, then a couple dollar stores and a State liquour store to cap the end.

I get at least 20 25% discount coupons a week in my e-mails but none of them apply because every friggin thing is on sale and the coupons don't apply...........

Dang if my daughter don't get me a 50.00 gift card. I wanted an organized set of 1/2" drive deep well metric and standard set of ................................I thought impact sockets, but I've been torquing alot of stuff now so i'm going with standard sockets.

WHAT DO I FIND AMUSING who in the the world needs a 1/2" drive 1/4" impact socket??????????? It rounds the catalog picture out but.......

Anyway, if you were building an impact socket set, where would you start. If you got skills I'd say 5/8" for longer use, but in general 3/4" (or the metric equivalent) what do you think.

I'd like the average set to go from 3/4 to 1 1/4" in the impact set to make it viable.

remember, you get a free 25' tape measure if you buy tomorrow..........how is that possible????? China must have babies makin this stuff..

"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: HF mania

Postby themainviking » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:31 am

I bought impacts for both speed and strength. I agree on impacts being for the larger bolt sizes for the "impact", but smaller sizes of impact sockets speed up a job. If you have a three inch long 1/4" bolt that you could take out with a ratchet, or an impact wrench, how long does it take each way. An Impact spins that sucker out like right now. Yeah, I know. It is kind of a waste of air pressure, but heck, the air is almost free, :lol: . My impacts do not go as small as quarter inch, but I do have an 8mm which is about the same size. The smallest standard I have is a 3/8. The largest in one set are 24mm and 15/16 and I had to get my larger ones separately. If a person is limited in the amount of tools they want, or have room for, then I agree that sets could be made up of less, but better thought out sizes, but that doesn't fit the commercial plans of a capitalistic society, :mrgreen:

Have fun with that $50 gift card. :lol:

My complaint with gift cards is that they are never big enough and you do not get to spend them more than once. I would like a naturally re occurring gift card for a round number like a thousand dollars. Now that could buy me some tools, again and again and again and etc. :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:22 am

At work we use cordless drills and 3/8" drive impacts and they destroy chrome sockets pretty quick (even good ones)so we need smaller impact sockets.Even Snap-On won't warr. a chrome socket if it's been used like we use them.You can tell when they've been used with an impact driver.All depends on what you are doing I guess.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:35 am

I agree and do use it for speed, I never had a regular chrome socket break with a gun, running off a 3" long 1/4" bolt with a gun.
I have snapped a rusted 1/4" bolt with a hand ratchet. The bolt has to be big enough to handle a gun and not break before the socket cracks. You run a 1/4" ON with a 1/2 drive gun and it'll snap when it bottoms out.

The whole point is they make it seem like they're giving you a big set of sockets when for a few bucks more going up to 1 1/4" would be a better set.
I never use impacts on my 3/8" air gun, I can put more power behind that than the gun....besides for 1/4", they're usually too fat to get into where you need to go.

I was looking at the Aluminum speed jack for 69 bucks but hate to have another thing to move around in the garage. I got a little one that's a PITA but it's good enough to get an axle onto a jackstand....for all else I call AAA.. :lol:

I just liked those color coded chrome sockets, easier to grab off the floor where I throw everything when i'm working.....really they need a square tops on them cause as soon as I throw them down they roll under something and I gotta crawl around to get it.

AND YES, they're over 50 bucks, so I gotta dig in the pocket. I been walkin around HF since Christmas and not buying anything, they may suspect i'm a shoplifter already.
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Postby waituntilthebeep » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:58 am

Being as I am a mechanic on big rigs, I have 10k in tool boxes (yes, plural) and another 10k in tools. I go from 1/4 drive tiny little **** sockets up to 3-1/2" dia. 1" drive sockets with 3/8 - 1" impact guns to match. However, in the impact socket world for 1/2" drive, I would say that 9/16" up (or 14mm in the metric game) is perfect. I have in fact put a 9/16" deep on my 1/2" gun and gave a bolt a high impact whooping. I tend to do that a lot since a longer rusty 3/8 bolt is pretty common in my industry. I use my 3/8" impact A LOT!!! I do not have a HF gun though. It is an Ingersol Rand and it will sprain your wrist if you are not braced for it. Snaps 1/4" bolts with ease.

As far as needing square sockets so they don't roll away, there is a saying in the mechanics world that when you drop a socket, nut, bolt, or necessary part, it will inevitably roll directly to the center of what you are working on every time. Tried, tested and true. I invested in a 2' magnetic flex dealy that also has 4 little encapsulating grabber fingers on it just to retrieve the stuff that wants to make me crawl on the floor to get it back. I hate chasing sockets.

Have not bought anything from HF in a long while. My local Snap On dealer loves me though:-) He'd better... I've made a few of his house payments.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:32 pm

waituntilthebeep wrote:Being as I am a mechanic on big rigs, I have 10k in tool boxes (yes, plural) and another 10k in tools. My local Snap On dealer loves me.

I am amazed that you are only 20K deep if you are using Snap On exclusively. Or maybe Snap On is less expensive in the U.S. than it is here. One tool box from Snap On can run better than 13K all by itself, for the roll around and a box on top, here where I live. I love their Pit Crew rolling chests, but could never justify one. I have three roll arounds with boxes on them, all full, all for different places. I am a millwright so I understand the tool thing. I stopped buying Snap On when they began to grow legs too fast for me to catch them. For less money, I now buy from our tool source here - Canadian Tire, and I get two sets so if I break one, I have another one for a spare till I exchange the broken one. Strangely, I do not seem to break tools as quickly now as when I was younger, :lol:

I do agree that tool sets come with the wrong sizes, but that is the commercial way of doing things. It is very hard to buy a set of 1/2 inch sockets that has anything larger than a 1 1/4 inch in it, if you can even get up that large. I have always had to buy my bigger ones on the side. The 3/4 inch drive sets go up quite a bit larger, and 1 inch go way up. I do not have anything as large as 3+ inch and am not sure I could lift it anymore if I did - :mrgreen:

I bought lots of things from HF when I lived in the U.S. like parts washers and sand blast boxes, and they are still giving me good service. Have not had occasion to buy from them in a while though.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Postby waituntilthebeep » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:53 pm

Well, the 10k in tools is not all Snap On. I do have some Craftsman and other odd stuff as well. Like my 1" stuff... SK I think is the brand. Snap On would have been 10x the price for that stuff. The majority of my money is tied up in air tools. I actually got good deals on my boxes. "Scratch and Dent". Otherwise would have been closer to 40k. I do know what you are saying about price with the tool trucks though. I work with guys that are Snap On or Matco exclusive and they are 70k into their trade. I just can't swallow that kind of dedication :)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:41 pm

I find that the more tools you own, the less often you try to press a tool into service for which it is not designed, and as a result the less often you end up breaking tools. So to avoid breaking tools, keep buying more! :)

Return to “Goldwing Chat”