Windshield replacement:Clear or tinted?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
DetroitWingnut
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Windshield replacement:Clear or tinted?

Postby DetroitWingnut » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:29 am

The windshield on my 1980 Goldwing (with orig. Vetter fairing) is in pretty bad shape. I found that I can purchase exact fit replacement windshields for about $75-$80, slightly more for one with the round vents. There is an option to order tinted windshield also. I would appreciate your opinions...Thanks!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Windshield replacement:Clear or tinted?

Postby themainviking » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:00 am

It depends on two things whether you get a tinted windshield and keep in mind that this is only MY experience. Others may differ.

Do you look through your windshield or comfortably over it? How dark is the tint?

If you look through your windshield, clear is better, and if you have to stretch a bit to look over it, clear is better. A light tint may work okay as well.

Dark tinted is hard to look through, and nearly impossible to look over if you are on the edge. You would find yourself stretching your neck trying to see better. I made this mistake on one of my other bikes, and it got very uncomfortable to ride in traffic, as I was continually trying to see more of what was in front of me. I will try it some more next riding season to see if I can get used to it, but I may have to cut it down.

Hope this helps.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:29 am

I'd be concerned about riding after dark depending on the tint even if I did usually look over the top.Had a tinted one back in the 80's on my 1100 and I can't remember what it was like.Getting old is a b*tch.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:35 am

1. Legally, the tint can only be a "certain" amount for any windshield.
2. You look through a tinted windshield while in your cage.
I sugget the tint!
I have a F4+4 tinted/vented on my trike. Best shield I have ever had. Don't believe they make one for a Vetter fairing. This response is to indicate the tint is my choice and for those that may read this thread and are thinking about replacing the windshield on later model bikes.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:14 pm

No tint for me, I feel it is a lot safer with out the tint. :) there are times when you just have to look through it.

WA9FWT Phil

ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Postby ka4yqi » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:57 pm

Clear or tinted? not to hard of choice for me. I like riding at night, so puts the tinted one out for me. I look through the windshield and it make it rough at night and even worse on a rainy night.

Steve

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:43 am

I'm stating this again, as obviously some have never had a tinted motorcycle windshield! There are no problems looking through a tinted motorcycle windshield at night!
YOU ARE LOOKING THROUGH A TINTED WINDSHIELD EVERY TIME YOU DRIVE YOUR GAGE!!!!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:27 am

tfdeputydawg wrote:I'm stating this again, as obviously some have never had a tinted motorcycle windshield! There are no problems looking through a tinted motorcycle windshield at night!
YOU ARE LOOKING THROUGH A TINTED WINDSHIELD EVERY TIME YOU DRIVE YOUR GAGE!!!!

Ditto! Same for me. I like my tinted shield.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Sagebrush
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
1982 GL1100
2001 GL1800 CSC Trike
2002 GL1800

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:35 am

I have tinted windshields on both my wife's trike and my 1800. We both look through them. The reason I went with tinted was I was told (no empirical evidence provided) that the tinted cuts down on headlight glare at night. I don't have any visibility issues looking through the windshield at night, don't even notice the tint. On my two 1100s it doesn't make any difference because I look over those windshields. I don't think it matters much one way or the other.

ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Postby ka4yqi » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:53 pm

tfdeputydawg wrote:YOU ARE LOOKING THROUGH A TINTED WINDSHIELD EVERY TIME YOU DRIVE YOUR GAGE!!!!

Dont have to shout about it. I do know that my little cage"s windsheild is not tinted. I had a choice, tinted or clear. It's clear. It.s a 1988 Suzuki Samurai. I made the mistake of installing on in my 87 samurai. I now have a new clear for it. Yep the goldwing had a tinted one when I got it, it now has a clear one.

Steve
BTW :: I carried a badge for 20 years.

Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

Postby Paulcf » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:48 pm

Why would anyone want a tinted windshield? It distorts the view and mutes colours. Plus if you ever take photos/video out thru your windshield, a tinted one will diminish the colours, etc. Plus at night they are dangerous (Yes, I did have a tinted one that came on a used bike I bought years ago). By law here you are NOT allowed to tint a front windshield and even the front side windows in your car. If caught, they will make you remove it.

Finally, isn't that what SUNGLASSES are for? I carry 2 pairs. One for bright (lovely riding days) sunshine and when it's cloudy/raining, I have a clear pair with zero tint to protect my eyes from dust, etc.

MOBILIS IN MOBILI

Return to “Goldwing Chat”