Water in the air...

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
DetroitWingnut
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Water in the air...

Postby DetroitWingnut » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:48 am

I am planning on installing some new Progressive rear air shocks on my 1980 GL1100 (no on-board air compressor). As I was reading DIY articles I noticed that later model Goldwings with the factory compressors had a "dryer" that is filled with desiccant to keep water from going to shocks. As I would be needing to use my cheap pancake compressor or gas stations for air supply (while on the road), it occurred to me I might be able to rig up an air separator of my own. This would also be useful for keeping water from the air from fouling up dyna beads in my tires (once I get around to putting on the new Spitfires my lovely wife bought me for Christmas). I am considering putting one separator in-line for the shocks; a second could be part of a portable "air chuck" that I could carry with me as needed for filling tires etc. There are many different styles in-line water/oil separators available on-line for cheap. Some come with regulators. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions or cautions that I should consider? I would appreciate any feedback you might have. Thanks!
Attachments

waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Re: Water in the air...

Postby waituntilthebeep » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:38 am

I do have a suggestion. Don't worry about it. The air systems on the wing have a dryer because with onboard air, you tend to use it quite often. Being as it is a dedicated system, any moisture in it will only be put into your own devices. Kinda makes sense but still a bit of overkill. If you do not have onboard air, you will not be constantly tweeking the air levels in your shocks cause let's face it, it's just not that convenient to do so. Also, unless your tires have leaks (mine have not needed any air adjustment in almost a year, and yes, I do check it regularly) you will not be putting much volume of air in them. The amount of possible moisture you might encounter will be very minimal. If you are worried about moisture from your compressor, drain the tank regularly. If gas station compressors give you the willy's (I never use them) try to find a tire store when you need air. Their systems are usually trapped and dried. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

DetroitWingnut
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Postby DetroitWingnut » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks, good advice. I'm going stir crazy and thinking up stuff to do on my bike; I know I won't be worrying about crap like this when it gets warmer, as I never have before...

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:21 pm

sounds to me like you are suffering from a bad case of PMS. That's Parked Motorcycle Syndrome. Similar to cabin fever. I have even been known to polish aluminum just to pass the cold dark days. If you really want to get a project on you could take a look at this one............

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14362

That should keep you out of trouble for awhile......hehehehe 8-)

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Return to “Goldwing Chat”