Goldwing Circle of Life

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
erikwillke
Motorcycle: 96 GL1500SE
12 HD XL1200C- Sold!
80 Suz GN400
73 CB750 SOHC

Goldwing Circle of Life

Postby erikwillke » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:34 am

For as long as I can remember my father has had Goldwings and before that was ones like it. I started riding with him when I was around 8 while we were living in Nevada. That was an 81 CX500 with the Vetter bags. About once a month we would pack up the bike and go camping in the mountains. After he had bought a GL they bought mom what I believe was then called the Silverwing, not sure but that's what they called it, from the bank that had repossessed it. After a quick restoral it was a family affair. I would be on dad's wing and sister would be on mom's. Dad had the popup trailer and mom had the cargo trailer. When I was a sophomore in high school my dad and I rode from Southern California to Alabama on his 1200 Aspencade. Many, many good memories.

I just bought my ninth bike last week. I started riding my own when I was 15 and they ranged from the Honda Aero 125 scooter to a Suzuki GS550es to the HD 1200 Sportster custom. Last week's purchase is the crown jewel in my stable, a 1996 GL1500se.

My better half and I love to ride. She was new to the whole lot when we met so I had to make a test run before I could officially sign off on her. :D We rode from Peoria to Rockford, IL on my 92 Nighthawk 750, on a 40 degree day, with rain in the forecast. She was perfect for me in every other way and I had to know if she would be able to share my passion for the road. If she couldn't then I was prepared to save everyone involved the trouble of an eventual break-up. I figured if she could enjoy a six hour round trip ride on a sport-standard with no windshield and no sissybar then she could hang. On the way back it didn't just rain, it poured, and poured, and poured. When we got home she had the biggest smile on her face. I then knew, truly, that God loved me.

Fast forward a year and the aforementioned woman and I are happily engaged. My oldest son from a prior marriage is about to play the last regular season game of his high school football career and has asked me to come watch. How could I not jump on this. By now we're on the Sporty and have logged some serious miles (as serious as you can on a Sporty). We had a choice to cage it to a town near Kansas City from Peoria, IL or take the bike. We took the bike. That is absolutely the furthest I ever want to go on an in-town bike. The temp when we left was 27 but quickly rose to 50 for the remainder of the trip. After that trip we decided we were going to save for a touring bike that we had already planned to get but some years in the future.

I was trolling Craig's List for a bike for a friend when I noticed an 88 Venture. $2500. Not bad. Kept looking. 84 GL1200. $2600. Even better. I knew GLs but didn't know much about the Venture line. Kept looking. And as a ray of sunshine boring through the clouds to highlight the Excalibur I found her. 1996 GL1500se with every imaginable feature, 56k on the clock and mechanically and cosmetically perfect for $4k. This can't be right. KBB says it's worth almost $7k. It was almost 2 hours away but the potential deal was simply too good to pass up. I had to see for myself.

Now it's winter here in Greenland, I mean Illinois so it's a tad cold. Since I wasn't going to buy a severely underpriced bike without riding it I did just that. It was only two miles but two miles at 3 degrees is a very long ride indeed. I handed over the largest stack of $100 bills I'd ever had in my hand and proceeded to put her on the trailer I brought down. Damn! Trailer is about 6 inches too short. I came back down two days later when it was 30 and rode her home. I routinely ride when it's above 20 and the roads are dry but I can only do about 45 minutes even all kitted up for the cold. That ride home was non-stop and very comfortable.

She's beautiful and the fiance can't wait to sit on her (sadly she's sat in the garage since I brought her home).

The very first ride I want to do is to go back to Rockford and ride with my dad on his GL. That would be, probably, the best cap to a wonderful childhood I can possible imagine.

And my new baby, Bertha:

Finally bought the same bike that brought me so much joy as a kid from the backseat.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Goldwing Circle of Life

Postby thrasherg » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:04 pm

Lovely story, thanks for sharing..

Gary

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:18 pm

Welcome to the ranks of the 15s. I see that you took the 'hint' that we love photos. When, or, if ever, winter wears away, I hope that you have many happy smiles.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:20 pm

Good looking bike. I can ride in 50*, but think I would let the bike set at 20*......
Bill

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:05 am

bstig60 wrote:Good looking bike. I can ride in 50*, but think I would let the bike set at 20*......

I concur. It is a good looking bike, and in my favorite colors as well. I too, do not ride in below freezing temps, as I fear black ice very much. I hit some the other day on the highway in my truck, and very luckily slid through it without mishap, but I had absolutely no control of where I was going for a short time. Good there were no other vehicles around me. I saw eight accidents due to these black ice patches within a ten mile stretch of highway. I turned around and went home.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:58 pm

"Bertah" IS a good looking bike. And, it's in the fastest color Honda made, Spectra Red!!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:46 pm

themainviking wrote:
bstig60 wrote:Good looking bike. I can ride in 50*, but think I would let the bike set at 20*......

I concur. It is a good looking bike, and in my favorite colors as well. I too, do not ride in below freezing temps, as I fear black ice very much. I hit some the other day on the highway in my truck, and very luckily slid through it without mishap, but I had absolutely no control of where I was going for a short time. Good there were no other vehicles around me. I saw eight accidents due to these black ice patches within a ten mile stretch of highway. I turned around and went home.

Yeah, I hit some on my way to work in my (6 month old) car the other day. I was slowing down coming up to a stoplight, and hit it, no warning. I found myself sliding with zero control right toward the car in front of me. Curb to the right, car to the left, nowhere to go, so I just flattened the brake to the floor and hoped the ABS would do its thing. It wasn't enough, I was waiting for the impact, and then came off the end of the black ice. The tires bit, and I jerked to a sudden stop, very close to the car in front of me.

On my bike, I would have been flat on the ground.

rodee71
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 Interstate
1993 1500 Aspencade

Postby rodee71 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:47 pm

Good for you and your wife! A beautiful bike at a great price! My fiance and I share your excitement, since we found or '93 GW back just after Thanksgiving. With only 32,200 miles on it, we intend, as you do, to ride, ride, and then, ride some more. You might consider a trip to the nearby (to us) Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive, the camping is awesome, and, we could possibly swap stories over a milkshake at the Spelunkers (http://www.spelunkerscustard.com/) in Front Royal, Va. The Skyline Drive is 3 miles away. I try to ride it 3-4 times a year. And, nearby Winchester is home to George Washington when he was sent to survey the colony way back when. You'll have a ton of stuff to see and do in the Shenandoah Valley, so let me know if you're ever over this way. Ride Safe.

erikwillke
Motorcycle: 96 GL1500SE
12 HD XL1200C- Sold!
80 Suz GN400
73 CB750 SOHC

Postby erikwillke » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:01 pm

rodee71 wrote:Good for you and your wife! A beautiful bike at a great price! My fiance and I share your excitement, since we found or '93 GW back just after Thanksgiving. With only 32,200 miles on it, we intend, as you do, to ride, ride, and then, ride some more. You might consider a trip to the nearby (to us) Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive, the camping is awesome, and, we could possibly swap stories over a milkshake at the Spelunkers (http://www.spelunkerscustard.com/) in Front Royal, Va. The Skyline Drive is 3 miles away. I try to ride it 3-4 times a year. And, nearby Winchester is home to George Washington when he was sent to survey the colony way back when. You'll have a ton of stuff to see and do in the Shenandoah Valley, so let me know if you're ever over this way. Ride Safe.

I used to live in NC so I'm very familiar with the BRP. I can guarantee I'll be on that road again. I'll certainly look you up when I do.
Finally bought the same bike that brought me so much joy as a kid from the backseat.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:35 pm

Good looking bike. I can ride in 50*, but think I would let the bike set at 20*......

This is like I do, ride in 20, and let it set for 50, unless there is something urgent to do, like an icecream. I talk in Celsius (sometimes known as Centigrade).

My backyard weather station has recorded 51C a couple of times this summer, but it is going to be a mild 38C (about 100F) today, and I have a ride planned.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:45 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Yeah, I hit some on my way to work in my (6 month old) car the other day. I was slowing down coming up to a stoplight, and hit it, no warning. I found myself sliding with zero control right toward the car in front of me. Curb to the right, car to the left, nowhere to go, so I just flattened the brake to the floor and hoped the ABS would do its thing. It wasn't enough, I was waiting for the impact, and then came off the end of the black ice. The tires bit, and I jerked to a sudden stop, very close to the car in front of me.

On my bike, I would have been flat on the ground.

I almost went out and kissed the street in front of my SoCal house... but it was too hot.

Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”