Bum Comfort

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1995 GL1500 SE

Bum Comfort

Postby Cindy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:39 am

Am too embarrassed to go to local dealer and ask what they have. Come on folks, somebody out there must suffer from hot, sweaty bum while riding..I have looked at local stores for sheepskin cover, but nothing that fits well on 1995 1500SE trike. I read about heated/cooling gloves, jackets, shirts etc...but not much for the bum. I am new at driving, the DH doesn't suffer as much as I do, so he doesn't make many comments. Anyone with some Tried and True ideas?

Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500SE

Re: Bum Comfort

Postby garwil » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:33 pm

1. Monkey Butt Powder, or baby powder as it is cheaper.
2. Better quality underwear. Some people purchase cycling shorts because they have a chamois sewn into the butt and are designed to dissipate moisture. I find looser fitting is better. (This goes for the pants as well)
3. Seat Beads like you see taxi drivers use. You can buy one for a car and cut it down to fit the bike seat.
4. Hot weather mesh riding pants like Joe Rocket Phoenix.

Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500se aspencade, 1996 1300 yamaha royalstar

Postby yamaha96 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:51 pm

Just thought i would comment on your problem, i have an Air Hawk seat cushion, that i use, you float on air, it is pretty expensive but in the hottest weather, your seat stays cool, where you know your bike seat is normally so hot you can't touch it, bought mine years ago,love it ,your Va. friend,Mike.

Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500SE

Postby garwil » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:55 pm

"the DH"

Sorry, I can't come up with anything that fits that???

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:41 pm

Not at all inexpensive, but here is your solution

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:24 pm

Heres what I bought for the missus. She has used this on 2 week long trips and swears by it.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:32 pm

Best solution I have found since owning my 1st wing in 1977, is a sheepskin pelt!

Keeps your butt cool when it's warm/hot out and warm when it's cool/cold out. No more sitting on a burning hot vinyl seat when being baked by the summer sun, or a freezing one when it is cold out.
I've seen seat covers destroyed (ripped/torn through) from the dimples left from beaded seat covers, especially on older, less pliable seats.

I also prefer a pelt over a sheepskin 'seat cover', as they are easy to remove if you are away from your bike and it looks like rain. Simply roll it up and store it in your trunk/saddlebag to keep it dry and safe.
I have never had a problem with a wet sheepskin where you sit because when riding in the rain, your butt keeps that portion dry! No problems there!!

I never wear denim jeans when riding, (either nylon hiking pants, gym type shorts. or jogging pants in cold conditions under my armoured riding pants) as the jeans do not breathe very well and I hate the large seams in the crotch area. I always wear either mesh, or full textile riding pants/jackets, depending on the time of year and am completely comfortable on the seat. (no sweating). I ride a lot of miles/day/year and in all kinds of weather conditions and since 1977, I've never had a bike without a sheepskin pelt on the seat. :!:

Two cautions about sheepskin pelts is that 1) due to the thickness of the pelt, it will increase seating height which may not suit those with a short inseam and have trouble reaching the ground already (not an issue on a trike) and 2) it may decrease your leg room/slide you forward on the seat, away from the broader rear portion of the rider's seat, if you are using a large pelt that covers both the rider's and passenger's seat. The thickness and lack of drape over the backrest portion of the bucket does not allow you to sit right back against that portion of the seat. May not be an issue for those same riders with a short inseam, but it was with me (34" inseam)

To get around this and the fact that I ride solo 99%of the time, I cut the sheepskin so that the smaller front portion can be 'tucked' in under the 'wings' of that part of the seat, so there is no need for the sheepskin to drape over it, so I regain my original seating position back. 8-)

After quite a bit of use, the sheepskin will flatten out/compact the fibres somewhat, .....

but still offers all the advantages and being 100% natural fibre, it can be hand washed to restore it's 'fluff'.

Here's a series of photos about my sheepskin pelts, with ideas on how to fasten then to your seat.

Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Postby offcenter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:10 pm

FWIW, I have sheepskin on my Wing and I find it very comfortable.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Postby Overdog » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:08 pm

I bought a set of black bathroom rugs for my old BMW. I have two seats that i used. The rug for in front of the commode worked perfectly for the rider portion of my Corbin and the bigger, rectangular rug went on the factory bench seat. They're rubber-backed so they don't slide around and getting them wet won't hurt them. SO much better than getting your BEE-hind scorched when you park the bike in the summer sun. Couple of guys in our riding club actually thought they were sheepskins of some sort......we had a good laugh when I told them what they actually were.... (looks like I may have to do a bit of cutting on one to make it fit the Wing seat)

Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:00 am

+ 1 on the sheep skin pelt. Dont leave home without it. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:37 pm

garwil wrote:"the DH"

Sorry, I can't come up with anything that fits that???

I got "Dearest Hubby"

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:12 am

+1 for sheepskins.

I find that the "tailored" sheepskins are better than the 'shaggy' look ones. A bit more expensive but do the job really well. Dont be fooled to think that the artificial fibres are better, because they are just not absorbent like the sheepskins. I have them in my cars, and on the driving seat of the RV as well. They are certainly the answer for hot and cold weather.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200 Aspencade
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:52 am

I prefer the beads. Reason being, when riding you can feel the air flow under your butt through the beads. That equals dry-no monkey butt.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”