Newguy from up north eh... lol

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
sczinege
Motorcycle: 1997 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE

Newguy from up north eh... lol

Postby sczinege » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:10 am

8-)
Hello. My name is Steve & I live up north in Canada lol. Port Colborne in Ontario to be exact. That is actually almost the most southern part of Can. But don't kid yourself, it is still plenty cold up here. I ride a 97 1500 SE. I have owned it since June 2011. I love this bike! Started riding in 77 on a GS 750 Suzuki. Had that for 10 years, then sold it. Was time to buy a house and raise children. Started riding again in about Mar.2011 on a 1500 Suzuki Boulevard. It was a beautiful bike, but my wife & I decided we would probably like to travel around abit & the Suzuki really didn't have much room for luggage, so I sold it & bought my wing. Like I said, I love this bike!!! The farthest we 've been was to Williamsburg Virginia this past summer. There was some beautiful country we saw up & back. I'm pretty particular about who works on my stuff, so I try to do as much as I can myself, because I like everything perfect, and thats the way I try to work. If it is too technical a job I have a friend who owns and has worked on alot of wings. whom I trust to do the job right. Anyway, this is my first post, but I have been on this site a few times researching wing problems & solutions ,& how to do's. Great site & great people.I don't always go on my computer every day, so if I don't respond in a timely fashion it's only because I haven't been on. I'll be back.

Keep the rubber side down - Steve

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Re: Newguy from up north eh... lol

Postby crock4 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:49 am

Welcome from way down south. This is the best Goldwing forum on the web in my opinion...

Bob
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:11 am

Quite a few of us from Ontario here, Steve, enjoying as much or more cold as you are. Howdy from frigid North Bay.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:32 am

Welcome!
I'm about half way between you and viking.Well maybe a little closer to viking.
I picked up an1800 just west of Port Dover last summer.Still not convinced it's a better bike than my 1500 was after putting about 10 K on it last year.
The colour of your 15 IMHO is the nicest of all the 15's.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

sczinege

Postby sczinege » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:49 am

When you post a reply can you specifically reply to one person our do you just reply & whoever it is for will read it ? Also how can I insert a photo to the right side of post like you guys have ?

sczinege

Postby sczinege » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:14 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys & thanks for the compliment on the colour Chris. I just love that colour & actually get a few compliments even from non bikers. Last summer I was considering getting an 1800,red of course,2001. I tried it out, and man did that bike move! Unfortunately I didn't like the ride & the bike had some minor electrical issues,so I didn't buy it. When I got back on my own bike & took off, that was when I really noticed the difference in the ride. Even though I really wanted the fuel injection & power I was glad I kept mine. I have since then put progressive springs on the front and the rear. Awesome.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:45 pm

sczinege wrote:When you post a reply can you specifically reply to one person our do you just reply & whoever it is for will read it ? Also how can I insert a photo to the right side of post like you guys have ?

If you hit Reply, it posts another message at the end. If you hit Quote, it will quote the message you are replying to, just like I did here with this one.

Here's how you can add an avatar picture for your posts: Adding an avatar to your profile

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:15 pm

WoooHooo, another Canuck has joined the best Goldwing site on the Net. We are slowly taking over this place :lol: Welcome Steve from Southern BC, If you venture out this way make sure you look me up. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:04 pm

Welcome aboard Steve. You'll find a lot of useful info on this site, especially the "How-To" articles. I used to race at Huberstone around the time you started riding. Now I'm a bit south and east, but I get to your part of the country occasionally. We'll have to meet up sometime.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:12 pm

South is where I live, and it has been pretty hot here, but has turned cooler since it rained to a very pleasant 22C (about 72F). Now that you have learned all that stuff about avatars and pictures, you can always post pictures of your wrenching and polishing.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:15 am

sczinege wrote:Thanks for the welcome guys & thanks for the compliment on the colour Chris. I just love that colour & actually get a few compliments even from non bikers. Last summer I was considering getting an 1800,red of course,2001. I tried it out, and man did that bike move! Unfortunately I didn't like the ride & the bike had some minor electrical issues,so I didn't buy it. When I got back on my own bike & took off, that was when I really noticed the difference in the ride. Even though I really wanted the fuel injection & power I was glad I kept mine. I have since then put progressive springs on the front and the rear. Awesome.

I've put approx. 10 k on my 04 and the ride does leave a lot to be desired. The bike has roughly 40k miles on it and from what I've read the suspension is shot already.At least that's the opinion of most.I've already started spending money and time to make it ride better,but I'm really not that optimystic to tell you the trueth.The switches are pretty crappy on them also.Full time job to keep the factory switches working.Most switch them out for better ones where possible.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:26 pm

Fatwing Chris wrote:I've put approx. 10 k on my 04 and the ride does leave a lot to be desired. The bike has roughly 40k miles on it and from what I've read the suspension is shot already.At least that's the opinion of most.

I think the suspension is soft from the factory, Chris, and so, if you upgrade it you should notice a big difference.

Fatwing Chris wrote:The switches are pretty crappy on them also.Full time job to keep the factory switches working.Most switch them out for better ones where possible.

Could you expound a bit more on these better switches? I have had no problems as of yet, but if I do, I would kinda like to know where better ones can be found. I am not big about adding Bling to my Wing, but better is 'always better', and I will spend money on better in an instant.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:13 pm

themainviking wrote:
Fatwing Chris wrote:I've put approx. 10 k on my 04 and the ride does leave a lot to be desired. The bike has roughly 40k miles on it and from what I've read the suspension is shot already.At least that's the opinion of most.

I think the suspension is soft from the factory, Chris, and so, if you upgrade it you should notice a big difference.

Fatwing Chris wrote:The switches are pretty crappy on them also.Full time job to keep the factory switches working.Most switch them out for better ones where possible.

Could you expound a bit more on these better switches? I have had no problems as of yet, but if I do, I would kinda like to know where better ones can be found. I am not big about adding Bling to my Wing, but better is 'always better', and I will spend money on better in an instant.

The switches that I'm referring to are the fog/driving light and the 4-way.The ones in the handlebars are the same and will stick eventually ,but I don't know if you can change them out.If you go to the GL1800Riders.com there are lots of threads on repairing and or changing them out.I've had my fog light and 4-way switch apart and it's hard to believe how chincy these switches really are.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

rottiman
Motorcycle: 1988 Goldwing GL1500

Postby rottiman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:38 am

Hey, welcome to the fold. I'm up on the eastern border of Ontario about mid way between Ottawa and North Bay in the beautiful Ottawa Valley. If your ever up this way give us a shout. :D :D :D

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:03 am

Welcome, I too looked at a 1800 before deceiding on a 1500. Best darn bike i have ever owned!

sczinege

Postby sczinege » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:58 am

RoadRogue wrote:WoooHooo, another Canuck has joined the best Goldwing site on the Net. We are slowly taking over this place :lol: Welcome Steve from Southern BC, If you venture out this way make sure you look me up. 8-)

Ya , I'd love to some day when I'm retired & got lots of time

sczinege

Postby sczinege » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:59 am

rottiman wrote:Hey, welcome to the fold. I'm up on the eastern border of Ontario about mid way between Ottawa and North Bay in the beautiful Ottawa Valley. If your ever up this way give us a shout. :D :D :D

You never know, might get around to that.

sczinege

Postby sczinege » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:02 am

bjatwood wrote:Welcome, I too looked at a 1800 before deceiding on a 1500. Best darn bike i have ever owned!

Nice bike you got there. Looks like the exact colour as mine, except you are one year newer.

sczinege

Postby sczinege » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:04 am

WingAdmin wrote:
sczinege wrote:When you post a reply can you specifically reply to one person our do you just reply & whoever it is for will read it ? Also how can I insert a photo to the right side of post like you guys have ?

If you hit Reply, it posts another message at the end. If you hit Quote, it will quote the message you are replying to, just like I did here with this one.

Here's how you can add an avatar picture for your posts: Adding an avatar to your profile

Thanks for the info. Trying to find a suitable pic for my avatar.

sczinege

Postby sczinege » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:08 am

minimac wrote:Welcome aboard Steve. You'll find a lot of useful info on this site, especially the "How-To" articles. I used to race at Huberstone around the time you started riding. Now I'm a bit south and east, but I get to your part of the country occasionally. We'll have to meet up sometime.

I live probably less than 5 km. from the Humberstone track. I probably heard you racing. Whats your name, perhaps I know you or have heard of you.

sczinege

Postby sczinege » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:16 am

redial wrote:South is where I live, and it has been pretty hot here, but has turned cooler since it rained to a very pleasant 22C (about 72F). Now that you have learned all that stuff about avatars and pictures, you can always post pictures of your wrenching and polishing.

Got some maintenance coming up. Might just do that. If it's too hot down there feel free to ship all the heat you want up here.lol

sczinege

Postby sczinege » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:23 am

I was going to order one of those 1500 shifter pivots, but I will probably hold off on that till this months contest is over. I'm not very lucky, but I guess you never know. Anyway, good luck you guys.

sczinege

Postby sczinege » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:33 am

Does anyone know what is the recommended age or mileage when the timing belts should be replaced on a 97 1500 with 53364 miles on it ? Also , same question for the throttle cables ?

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:10 am

There are three considerations for a belt change:
a. Age;
b. Mileage; and,
c. Time sitting in the shed.

a. Age. The belts are made principally of rubber. Rubber gets weaker with age, and therefore may fail the longer it is being used. Is 17 years a long time? YES.

b. Mileage. I believe that the belts should be considered for changing at 60 000 intervals. Your GW is at 56 000 now, so it is about time, from mileage viewpoint. YES.

c. Time sitting in the shed. Will cause the belts to 'set' into a shape that may distort their smooth operation. Over 17 years, and I am assuming they havent been changed before, the GW has averaged 3 000, and depending where you live, over a 6 month riding season works out to be about 500 miles per month - probably just far enough to go and get a Saturday ice cream, and then put back into the shed. Hardly, a big mileage. YES.

The three yes responses here would indicate that while the weather is still cool, now would be a good time to change the belts. When you take the old ones off, you will find very little wrong with them from the outside. But it is the makeup of the belts that will start to deteriorate and may cause delamination.

I for one would have a look at the "How To" on changing belts on this site, and go and purchase a pair. They are not expensive, and apparently Gates brand is the way to go. Let us know how you go. Dont forget to record when the belts were changed so that you will have a record for the future.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:38 am

Yes it is time to do the belts. You can get them at NAPA either Gates belts or the NAPA brand ( actually gates makes them for napa) 8-)
Gates - #T275 (2 ea.)
NAPA - #250275 (2 ea.)

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6742#ixzz2uVta3bAO

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Return to “Goldwing Chat”