Fire Danger Due to 9V Batteries


Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
Ray Aube
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:29 am
Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Fire Danger Due to 9V Batteries

Postby Ray Aube » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:33 pm



I wouldn't want anyone to lose their home, their garage or their Wing due to their mishandling of household 9Volt batteries. This was shown on the TV show “Chronicle” last night. A man’s house burned down because he improperly stored old 9 volt batteries in a paper bag. The terminals of one battery touched the metal casing of another, sparked and started a fire that destroyed his house.

It is recommended that the terminals of 9 volt batteries be covered with electrical tape when disposing of them, do not carry them in your pocket or store them loose. Here’s the link if you want to read the story: http://www.kctv5.com/story/24594124/kct ... ire-danger but I’ve attached the story below:



GRANDVIEW, MO (KCTV) -

For the past week, one particular video has been lighting up social media, warning of improperly stored 9-volt batteries sparking devastating house fires.

The clip, first posted on the website kidsandcharacter.com, recounts how a battery fire destroyed the home of Fort Collins, CO, resident Dave Miller. It begins with the dramatic audio recording of Miller's call to 911.

"I have a fire. I need the fire department here," Miller told a fire dispatcher.

"Inside your house?" the operator asked.

"Yes, inside my house," Miller said.

"Sir, hang up the phone and evacuate," the dispatcher directed.

Miller barely made it out alive, but watched his house burn down. He decided to post a warning about the ordinary item to blame for this extraordinary experience.

"If it can save one person's life, then everything my family has gone through has been worth it," he said in the online post.

In the video, Miller explains how he had replaced the 9-volt batteries in his smoke detectors; then put the used ones in a paper bag for later recycling.

"I put a laundry basket on the shelf next to it. It bumped the bag. The two batteries touched and shorted the terminals," Miller said.

The official fire report obtained by KCTV5 confirmed the blaze was caused by "loose 9 volt batteries stored in a paper bag shorting together."

Miller is not the only one.

In 2012, a New Hampshire homeowner reported a fire smoldering in his kitchen's junk drawer that he was able to extinguish on his own.

The incident led one of country's top fire marshals to issue an advisory about the proper storage of 9-volt batteries. That alert is being echoed by firefighters across the metro, including Grandview, MO, Fire Department Chief Chuck Thacker.

Thacker explained to KCTV5 how a 9-volt battery can spark and fuel a fire, especially in the inviting environment of a household junk drawer.

"There's all the other stuff; car keys, whatever else in there," he said. "If the conditions get right, you touch something against the two contacts, then you could have a heating event."

The chief said it only takes one metallic object; something like a paper clip, key or bit of steel wool touching the battery's posts to fuel a fire. Thacker said he's never dealt with a 9-volt fire in his city. He hopes the warning will keep it that way.

"Unfortunately people are finding out the hard way," Thacker said.

Kansas City insurance adjuster Paul Berrian has witnessed the kind of damage a battery fire can cause in his decade on the job.

"One lady's bedroom caught on fire when she was asleep. Luckily she got up and got out of there. The whole nightstand was on fire; the corner of the wall. People don't think of those things," he said. "(There is) shock and disbelief that batteries that started the whole thing".

Berrian's advice for storing batteries safely is both simple and cheap.

"You can avoid these by putting a piece of tape over the batteries," he said.

That's information Miller wishes he had known and followed.

"I feel very responsible for what happened to my family," he said.

To prevent anything from touching the tops of the 9-volt batteries he keeps at home, Thacker says he stores them in plastic bags with one battery per bag.

On its packaging, battery company Energizer suggests that travelers cover battery terminals with insulated tape.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.). All rights reserved.



User avatar
RoadRogue
Posts: 1919
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: Castlegar BC, Canada
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Fire Danger Due to 9V Batteries

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:07 pm

This is sound advice, something I would never have thought about. After reading this I went to my junk drawer in the kitchen and checked, sure enough there was a brand new 9v battery loose amongst the papers,screws and other items that make up the typical junk drawer including a roll of electrical tape. Problem solved. Thanks for the warning, this house is just a little safer tonight 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

User avatar
seelyark1
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 1:57 pm
Location: Dunnellon, Florida
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Re: Fire Danger Due to 9V Batteries

Postby seelyark1 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:51 am

I never really gave it much thought, but it seems that I am not the only one with a "junk drawer". No batteries, but now I know where most of my lost screw drivers were. I get lots of "help" with my tools to the point that it is hard to get the honey do's done. Good to check it every once in a while just to see what's there. Just may find that thing you've been looking for for 6 months.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Fire Danger Due to 9V Batteries

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:02 am

Yup, I always put a strip of electrical tape across the terminals of 9V batteries when storing them.




Return to “Goldwing Chat”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apache137, offcenter and 1 guest