Helmet-to-Helmet Intercom newbe

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Helmet-to-Helmet Intercom newbe

Postby tom84std » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:29 pm

I had a pair once and hated them. Seems there's a whole new technology using smartphones and now I know nothing about them. I have an iphone5 and she has a new Galaxy 4. Both are new enough to work with the bluetooth intercoms available. I've watched videos explaining how to install them, ok but.... How does this work? Do I need to initiate a phone call in order to use them? Will it run the battery down on the phones? Roaming charges?

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Helmet-to-Helmet Intercom newbe

Postby RoadRogue » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:02 pm

I will take a stab at explaining the system I use. I have a set of Scala Rider G4 headsets. They are designed for bike to bike communication upto 1 mile . They use Bluetooth to "talk" to each other,basically built in radio like a walkie talkie. They have voice activated mics so you can just talk to each other. They can be used independently of your cell phone, or you can link the head set to your phone so that you can use the features of your phone while riding your bike. You can link one headset to your phone and your wife could link her phone to her headset without one interfering with the other. I have mine linked to my Iphone 4s, and can place calls with one touch to the headset and voice commands, I can also send and hear text messages the same way.
The cell phone is not the carrier for the signal unless you are actually using the cell phone to make a call, normal roaming applies to cell use (calls,text or data use) but no charges for using the headsets to talk to each other. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

grizzly
Motorcycle: 2013 GOLDWING NAVI

Postby grizzly » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:12 am

My wife and I have the scala g9 works great with communicating bike to bike also with Iphone

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:38 am

I also had the bluetooth setup...even tho it "worked" I also hated it.....
Maybe the new bluetooth works better than the ones I has a few years ago....Connectivity issues,clarity,low volume,wind noise,adjusting it,trying to locate the little buttons under the helmet...these made it worthless while running at 70 mph on the 1200....

When I got the 1500,I went backward to the old vox wired intercom system...coil cord and all..
The only change I made from the OEM setup was removing the helmet speakers and using a good set of earbuds....Generally the hard wired type are louder,clearer,easier to use and reliable.
Even with a rider(so I don't talk to myself) the conversations are small...I used them once or twice on a 3 hour trip...short runs make it annoying to set them up and take them off each time..

lhelber
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:11 pm

I do a lot of riding with friends and for compatibility there is nothing that beats a CB radio. If you are using a headset to communicate between bikes everyone needs to be using a com system from the same manufacture. With the CB I can talk to fellow riders, autos and big rigs. All at the same time. I also use a wired setup since I often will ride longer than what a battery will last. It also works with my built in audio system too.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:52 pm

lhelber wrote:I do a lot of riding with friends and for compatibility there is nothing that beats a CB radio. If you are using a headset to communicate between bikes everyone needs to be using a com system from the same manufacture. With the CB I can talk to fellow riders, autos and big rigs. All at the same time. I also use a wired setup since I often will ride longer than what a battery will last. It also works with my built in audio system too.

I agree, CB is definitely the way to go. A huge benefit is being able to talk to the truck drivers, who will tell you where road construction, speed traps and traffic jams are located ahead (and please return the favor). If you're riding alone, they also offer good conversation to pass the time. :)

Return to “Goldwing Chat”