Helmet systems

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
rufus15
Motorcycle: 2012 level 3 goldwing

Helmet systems

Postby rufus15 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:52 pm

I want to get a communications system for my new helmet that hasn't yet been purchased. I have a Nolan N2 now and thinking of the N4. I only ride one up, but want to listen to the bike radio without having to blast it like I'm currently doing. Does anyone know if this is something I can do with the Ncom system or do I have to approach this with a different helmet and audio system? Thanks for any input.

lhelber
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Helmet systems

Postby lhelber » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:03 pm

The headset system with the Gold Wings is a pretty standard or common 5 wire setup. J&N has several different headsets available that will work. Most of the other comm systems tend to work only with them selfs and maybe will offer Bluetooth to work with your phone. If you want to here your Honda audio system you will need something that will plug into that.

I have ridden several years with a Nolan Helmet that has a J&N headset that is made for that helmet and plugs into my Honda audio set. I then have my GPS, phone and CB all integrated and work well. The cord doesn't get in the way and have have had days where a cordless (contains battery) wouldn't last long enough for a full day's ride.

rufus15

Postby rufus15 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:03 pm

So Ihelber, will the five pin embiliclecord to to the bike let you hear the radio in you helmet?

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:14 pm

I have a Nolan N43 Trilogy with the N-Com system. I like the N-Com system a lot; the helmet...not so much. There is a wind "turbulence" factor around the outside of the helmet that is rather noisy. I raised my windshield up as far as it would go and it helped a lot, but didn't stop the noise completely. This is the first full face helmet I have ever owned and overall, I am happy and satisfied with the helmet and N-Com system. The best thing about it is it keeps the rain off my face. That was the purpose of the exercise.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:32 pm

That is the purpose of the head sets, you can bring music,passenger intercom, and CB into your helmet. The head sets come with everything you need to plug it into your bike. J+M has several models of head sets available depending on your budget and quality of sound you want. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:58 pm

Wife and I have Nolan helmets and the N-Comm system. Like it a lot. Sounds great etc.

I had some initial problems with the connecting cable Nolan used which they have since upgraded. I think the old cable still may be floating around in the marketplace.

Do a forum search and you'll find some info on it that I posted.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

rufus15

Postby rufus15 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:23 am

Thanks gang, I appreciate your input and I'll look into them.

lhelber
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:32 pm

I have the Nolan N4 Trilogy that converts to an open face or full face with a removable chin bar. It also has what they called the jet fighter mode which is a drop down sun shield. I paid close to $600 for it with a J&M headset for it. I purchased it a couple of years ago.

I HATE that helmet. I wear it now only because I know I will replace my helmet every few years and needed to get my money's worth. Once the budget allows me to replace it with a better quality helmet and headset I will. Some of the issues I have had with it include:

1) I wore the helmet for an hour in the store before purchasing it and it felt great. On the road after about 2 hours of riding I get a sore spot just above my forehead from where the wind pushes on the helmet. They claim the helmet will fit better after a few rides. 3 seasons later the pain it is still there.

2) There were two plastic locking tabs on the sides of the helmet that hold the faceplate on. These tabs have a habit of poping off. The first time I was on my way to Wing Ding and I talked with a Sierra Electronics, a Nolan dealer and they gave me a replacement. The second time I was in the middle of an Iron Butt Ride. When I contacted Nolan they admitted there was a problem with the original design and replaced them with a new two piece design that would prevent it. They were more than happy to send me out a set of them as long as I was willing to pay $32 plus $16 shipping. For $0.10 worth of plastic.

3) I mentioned the pull down sun visor. I didn't mention how poorly designed the slider was that causes it to go up and down. The mechanism for it is behind the foam in the helmet so it is not very serviceable. I don't know what the problems are but trying to slide the thing up or down as you go down the road is next to impossible because it likes to bind up. Usually I have to flip up the visor and try and grab the bottom part of the sun shield and pull it down. When I don't need it I reverse the process and try not to push it all of the way up because then I can't grab it to pull it down again until I stop and use a pair of needle nose pliers to reach in and pull it down. Part of the problem is the slider is on the side of the helmet and you push it up to make the shield drop. I have looked at other helmets and the put the slider on top of the helmet and there is no need for cams or joints in the mechanism. My next helmet will have this much more reliable design.

4) The chin bar was a joke. With the chin bar in place the bottom of the helmet doesn't flex so I find it very difficult to put the helmet on. If I wanted to have the full face option I need to put on the helmet without the chin bar and then try and insert the chin bar into its catches down around your jaw bone. A very difficult task considering the location of chin (can't see where it is going) plus you have to fit two slim pieces of metal into small slots on both sides of the helmet at the same time. Plastic molding helps to hide the correct slots by feel. I finally tossed the chin bar into the box to give to anyone wishing to receive this used helmet.

5) Parts of the removable liner uses glue to hold the velcro in place that holds with other sections of the liner. The glue on it failed in the first 3 months. So I have two tabs that hang down. At least the velcro is covered so it doesn't irritate me as I motor down the road.

6) It is not very well vented. There is very little air flow through the helmet. Researching the problem indicates this is actually a design decision of Nolan's engineers. They prefered a passive approach to heat management (let the hot air rise out of the helmet). Many other manufactures use an active venting approach where air is allowed to flow into the helmet forcing the warmed air out.

I do like the micro adjuster chin strap, once I purchased the special "Nolan Dimensioned" helmet hanger to use with my helmet lock on the bike.

That has been my experience with Nolan's helmet. Nothing critical and I hope it holds up if I need it in a crash but for the price I paid for it I expected a much better quality helmet. I would not have been if I have only paid the $100-200 it would have cost me for a standard brand.

motorhead1977
Motorcycle: 2009 GL 1800 ABS, 2015 Ducati Scrambler 800, 1986 VFR 700

Postby motorhead1977 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:58 pm

We have the Chatterbox XBi2 helmet sets and connect to the bike using the chatterbox BTD blue tooth sending units and an adapter to the 5 pin bike plugs. They last about 6 hours or so and the helmet sets have good sound. Of course we don't have CB or GPS available from the bike but I am fine with that anyway. Too much going on to be doing that many things while riding a motorcycle. The Chatterbox system does provide helmet to helmet wireless intercom.
"When fascism comes to America it will be draped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:21 am

Thanks, "Lhelber", that is a reasonable review of your helmet. It has certainly given me some food for thought. Thanks for the effort.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”