MP3 Player

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

MP3 Player

Postby seabeechief » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:34 pm

I have absolutely had it with my IPOD. It is the first, last and only Apple product that will ever be purchased by this techno-challenged old man. Just getting music loaded in it is harder than Japanese arithmetic. Now I can't get it to turn on at all. Whether plugged into my bike or into my desktop computer, all I get is an apple flashing on and off. The round button at the bottom does nothing and the on/off switch on top does nothing. I hate it with a passion. Now, moving right along.....I guess I need an MP3 player for my music. I have never owned an MP3 player and I know exactly nothing about them. All I want to do is put some music on a device and listen to it on my bike. What should I buy and where should I buy it? Thanks for listening to my rant and for any help you can offer.

Chief

Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: MP3 Player

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:57 pm

Check this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14345&p=72352&hilit=mp3#p72352

My post is about 3rd down. I use a cheap FM transmitter with an SD card. I've used the same one for about 4 years now with no problems.

PS - Can I have your iPod??
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:45 am

cbx4evr wrote:Check this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14345&p=72352&hilit=mp3#p72352

My post is about 3rd down. I use a cheap FM transmitter with an SD card. I've used the same one for about 4 years now with no problems.

PS - Can I have your iPod??

cbx4evr, I am more confused now. I thought an MP3 player was a small device like my IPOD Nano (3" x 1-1/2" x 3/16" thick).

As far as sending it to you; maybe after a little target practice.

Chief
Darkside #1609

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:32 pm

Apple's iPod line are just one type of player on the market, although they are probably the most popular. I have a lot of Apple stuff, an iPod being one of them. I prefer to leave my iPod at home when I travel.

The device I showed you is just another type of player that will play an MP3. An mp3 is just a file storage format that allows you to store music in a smaller sized file. The file can then be stored on an iPod or an SD card or a "memory stick". The device I am using does not have internal storage like an iPod so I use an SD card or memory stick in it to play music. It will also allow you to hook up your iPod to it.

The only thing you have to provide for any of these to work is a way for the music to be transmitted to your sound system. The device I use plugs into a 12v outlet and transmits through the radio on a station selected on the FM band. If your bike is equipped with it an iPod can be hooked up directly to the stereo system. I have a 1500 and didn't have that luxury and as I said prefer to travel without an iPod. I was actually amazed at how well these transmitters work. I plug it in with an 16 GB card full of music and it plays all the time. If I get tired of it I change the channel on the radio or just travel in silence.

You can get these things for as little as $3.40 on eBay coming out of China. I bought 2 thinking I would have to replace it but so far I'm still on the first one. Even use it in my vehicles too.
Hopefully that clarifies things a bit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MP3-Player- ... 19e68b7be4
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:42 pm

As to your issues with your iPod. There is really no reason why getting music on it should be difficult. If you can click and drag then you can do it.

As to your flashing Apple logo your iPod likely needs a reset. Remember Apple products are man made, and just like anything else man made, there is a (likely) possibility of failure at some point.

Here are instructions for getting your iPod working again:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1399

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:44 pm

I see you are in Texas. How far are you from Weslaco? I may be in that area first part of April.

I could pick up that iPod before you start shooting at it.

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:31 pm

cbx4evr wrote:As to your issues with your iPod. There is really no reason why getting music on it should be difficult. If you can click and drag then you can do it.

As to your flashing Apple logo your iPod likely needs a reset. Remember Apple products are man made, and just like anything else man made, there is a (likely) possibility of failure at some point.

Here are instructions for getting your iPod working again:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1399

The first thing it tells me is to make sure the IPOD is charged. I can't do that. The screen just keeps going on and off and shows only the Apple logo. There is nothing that shows the charging icon. I have looked at the different websites that offer different solutions to the problem, but so far no luck. I cannot remember when I harbored this degree of contempt and detestation toward an inanimate object. I didn't like it the first day I bought it and started trying to load the music, and it's been downhill ever since.

Does the MP3 player you recommended offer the "shuffle" thingy?

Thanks for your help, old buddy, but I'm just about full.

Chief
Darkside #1609

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:36 pm

cbx4evr wrote:I see you are in Texas. How far are you from Weslaco? I may be in that area first part of April.

I could pick up that iPod before you start shooting at it.

Yep, I'm just around the corner, about 300 miles from Weslaco. But I'll be out of pocket last of March and into first part of April. But the wildflowers SHOULD be blooming by then. Bluebonnets and Indian Paint Brushes will be growing on the side of the roads and in the fields. It is a beautiful Texas sight. I don't recommend stopping and waltzing into a field to get your picture taken in the wildflowers. The chiggers (red bugs?) will eat you alive.

Chief
Darkside #1609

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:07 pm

I use a bike mp3 it's made just for gold wings wires in trunk and work with raido controls holdabout 900 songs. Best upgrade you can make. Sally

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:08 pm

I use a bike mp3 it's made just for gold wings wires in trunk and work with raido controls holds a bout 900 songs. Best upgrade you can make. Sally

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:22 pm

seabeechief wrote:The first thing it tells me is to make sure the IPOD is charged. I can't do that. The screen just keeps going on and off and shows only the Apple logo. There is nothing that shows the charging icon. I have looked at the different websites that offer different solutions to the problem, but so far no luck. I cannot remember when I harbored this degree of contempt and detestation toward an inanimate object. I didn't like it the first day I bought it and started trying to load the music, and it's been downhill ever since.

Plug the cable into it and connect it to your computer for a day. It should charge even if there's no indication. Then follow the instructions I referenced.

Does the MP3 player you recommended offer the "shuffle" thingy? NO it doesn't. Remember it <$4. It's not that sophisticated. You can put the songs on the SD card in a random order.

Chief

What you need is a kid to show you how to use it.

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:30 pm

cbx4evr wrote:
seabeechief wrote:The first thing it tells me is to make sure the IPOD is charged. I can't do that. The screen just keeps going on and off and shows only the Apple logo. There is nothing that shows the charging icon. I have looked at the different websites that offer different solutions to the problem, but so far no luck. I cannot remember when I harbored this degree of contempt and detestation toward an inanimate object. I didn't like it the first day I bought it and started trying to load the music, and it's been downhill ever since.

Plug the cable into it and connect it to your computer for a day. It should charge even if there's no indication. Then follow the instructions I referenced.

Does the MP3 player you recommended offer the "shuffle" thingy? NO it doesn't. Remember it <$4. It's not that sophisticated. You can put the songs on the SD card in a random order.

Chief

What you need is a kid to show you how to use it.

LOL! I know that's right. All my grandkids are scattered all over the country. We have a new elementary school nearby, I'll bet some third graders there could help.

Chief
Darkside #1609

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:40 pm

Sally wrote:I use a bike mp3 it's made just for gold wings wires in trunk and work with raido controls holds a bout 900 songs. Best upgrade you can make. Sally

Sally, as I understand that MP3 player, it does not support the "shuffle" type function. That was the best part of my IPOD, you never knew what was going to play next. I don't know if the MP3 player cbx4evr will do the "shuffle" thingy or not. I have the plug/wires in the left pocket wired into the aux system and can play it though the speakers or my helmet. I would like to just plug and play with what already exists.
Darkside #1609

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:11 pm

seabeechief wrote:Sally, as I understand that MP3 player, it does not support the "shuffle" type function. That was the best part of my IPOD, you never knew what was going to play next. I don't know if the MP3 player cbx4evr will do the "shuffle" thingy or not. I have the plug/wires in the left pocket wired into the aux system and can play it though the speakers or my helmet. I would like to just plug and play with what already exists.

I did give that info in my post above. It's in read type in the quote which may have caused you to miss it. Short answer was NO.

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:07 pm

OK guys, I'm healed! I went to Best Buy and purchased a Sony MP3 Player. It is just about the same physical size as the IPOD and it has the "shuffle" mode. I already loaded it up with my music and tried it out on the bike in the garage. It works well. I'm a happy camper. Now, as soon as it gets out of the 30's, I'll have a little target practice. bye bye IPOD. Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Chief
Darkside #1609

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:59 pm

I like the MP3 type music adapter that I connected to the CD player connection on my 2002 Wing. I loaded up hre USB thumb drives with 10 play lists each and basically have 48gb of music controlled through my CD controls. Granted it doesn't have a shuffle mode but one thumbdrive played all the way from Boise to San Fransisco. Mine is not the MP3 audion brand but very similar and also came with an IPOD adapter (I'm not an Apple fan so I haven't bought one). You can use SD cards, thumb drives, or and IPOD and it has an auxiliary input for anything else with audio out. I think I spent less than $100 including the thumbdrives. One suggestion, I'd use SD cards as they can't shake loose on bad road. My one warning is do not press the wing radio's ADL Sel/RDM button when its active as a CD - it locks up the radio and you have to shut down and reset it when you do (you only do that like one time generally). Google "CD mp3 Changer player media for Honda Goldwing" and you'll find several options, then search the forums for best choice information.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:15 pm

PastoT wrote:I like the MP3 type music adapter that I connected to the CD player connection on my 2002 Wing. I loaded up hre USB thumb drives with 10 play lists each and basically have 48gb of music controlled through my CD controls. Granted it doesn't have a shuffle mode but one thumbdrive played all the way from Boise to San Fransisco. Mine is not the MP3 audion brand but very similar and also came with an IPOD adapter (I'm not an Apple fan so I haven't bought one). You can use SD cards, thumb drives, or and IPOD and it has an auxiliary input for anything else with audio out. I think I spent less than $100 including the thumbdrives. One suggestion, I'd use SD cards as they can't shake loose on bad road. My one warning is do not press the wing radio's ADL Sel/RDM button when its active as a CD - it locks up the radio and you have to shut down and reset it when you do (you only do that like one time generally). Google "CD mp3 Changer player media for Honda Goldwing" and you'll find several options, then search the forums for best choice information.

I trashed my IPOD and bought an MP3 player about the same physical size. It fits in my left faring pocket nicely and plays through my audio system and/or my helmet. As soon as I get the GPS hooked up I'll be through for a while.

Chief
Darkside #1609

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:08 am

I hate to sound like a dumb*** but I have never had an MP3 player. I still use the cassette player. :? What is the best way to download the music for the player? Do you have to purchase each or can it be had for free?
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:40 pm

dingdong wrote:I hate to sound like a dumb*** but I have never had an MP3 player. I still use the cassette player. :? What is the best way to download the music for the player? Do you have to purchase each or can it be had for free?

dingdong, I'm a techno-dummy, so I don't really know the "best" way to download music. I "burned" my CD's to my computer, then copied the CD's to my MP3 player. It easy (for me) to download the music from my computer to my MP3 player. That was not the case with my POS IPOD.

Chief
Darkside #1609

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:05 pm

I have a dozen MP3 players that take one AAA battery. They play straight/shuffle, whatever you want..go dead mid-ride occasionally but WTF..you may need to change a battery here and there but the players are a dime a dozen and batteies are cheap. I got an i-pod and it's powered through a power port and still like my little mp3 because I don't need to unhook alot of wires to when I make a freeway reststop.
I take my music from youtube and put it in documents, then make a playlist. You can do it straight or shuffle.
MP3's are so cheap and they're all the same.
99% of the music I copy I paid for in the past with cassettes and albums, I got no problem lifting them digitally to a MP3. I even leave my MP3's right on the bike and nobody wants to steal one of those dinosaurs........I got my i-pod and have to unhook everything cause it would be gone.....or maybe that's even a dinosaur now......
Digitally stored music is an amazing thing if you were raised up thinking amps and tapes made the sound.
SO, if i'm not mistaken, MP3's are out of date.......
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:05 pm

Dogsled wrote:I have a dozen MP3 players that take one AAA battery. They play straight/shuffle, whatever you want..go dead mid-ride occasionally but WTF..you may need to change a battery here and there but the players are a dime a dozen and batteies are cheap. I got an i-pod and it's powered through a power port and still like my little mp3 because I don't need to unhook alot of wires to when I make a freeway reststop.
I take my music from youtube and put it in documents, then make a playlist. You can do it straight or shuffle.
MP3's are so cheap and they're all the same.
99% of the music I copy I paid for in the past with cassettes and albums, I got no problem lifting them digitally to a MP3. I even leave my MP3's right on the bike and nobody wants to steal one of those dinosaurs........I got my i-pod and have to unhook everything cause it would be gone.....or maybe that's even a dinosaur now......
Digitally stored music is an amazing thing if you were raised up thinking amps and tapes made the sound.
SO, if i'm not mistaken, MP3's are out of date.......

My MP3 player is hooked up to my audio system and plugged into a USB adaptor in the left pocket power socket. It is out of sight, out of mind and out of the weather. It charges anytime the bike is running. So far so good. I'm so techno-challenged I don't know if MP3's are out of date. All I know for sure at this point is that it IS NOT an IPOD. For me, that is good thing.

Chief
Darkside #1609

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:47 pm

MP3's are simple digital sound storage. Music can be had from many different sources. It works on the Wing. It is GOOD....if it stays charged and you are able to remobe it to add music it is even better. I just have so many battery MP3's from my kids that I have the stocked by catagory. Not being a techno bluetooth man, MP3's old school rock

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:29 am

Now I really feel like a dumb***. So if these players are old school just what is the "in" music player now? The only things I find in stores are ipod or mp3.??? Some are $29 and others are $129. :? :? :?
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:27 am

Well, old school is a relative term. MP2 has been around since 1997, so I guess that's old school. When you are my age, 17 years does not seem so long. Nothing of any consequence has been introduced since then, so MP3 is still the thing. If you just want to plug music into your bike and play it, without any control of what you are playing, choose the $29 MP3 player, although you can probably find a lot cheaper than that, like dogsled mentioned. I think the cheapest one I have here cost me $4.99, and runs off a AA or AAA battery for somewhat like eight hours. I like to control my music, so I have one of J&M's players that plug into the CD player wiring in the trunk, and act just like the CD player would, except with a lot more music. Bike MP3 is another one that does the same. Both of these are more in the $129 range. I have a GL1800, so these work for this bike. I do not know if they work for a GL1500 or not.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:16 am

Right on Viking. They are all digital music, I meant by old school that you have to carry around AAA batteries. Funny, they always went dead when you were doing 70 on a freeway with nowhere to stop. We had it rough back then.. :lol: It is amazing though, a cheap little 3" piece of plastic with a AAA battery, plugged into the Wing stereo sounds like a million bucks.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”