Add a power outlet for GPS

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Add a power outlet for GPS

Postby seabeechief » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:02 pm

(1) I want to add a power outlet for my GPS. I have one outlet in the left pocket of my GL1800. There is a red and green connector that powers the existing power outlet. The red part (line side) has a red wire and a black wire. The green part (load side) has a white w/blk tracer wire and a green wire. The white w/blk tracer wire runs into an in-line fuse holder marked 2a. It is a white plastic in-line fuse holder; I did not open it to see if the fuse is really a 2 amp fuse. The white w/blk tracer wire and the green wire then go into a mesh protector and into the power connector for my MP3 player. Is there a "plug & play" connector that goes directly into the red part of this connector, and has two sets of leads for two power outlets? If so, where do I get it?

(2) I have a ram mount with two (2) 1" balls on the right handle bar. The two balls are on the front, facing the rider, and the back of the mount is a brake fluid reservoir. My GPS has a smaller hole for the ram mount balls. Can I buy just the front part of the ram mount clamp with the smaller balls, or do I have to buy a complete new ram mount? Of course, I would rather simply use the smaller clamp using the existing screws, but I don't know if that is possible.

I am now going to TRY to attach a couple of pictures to show you what I have. I will appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.

Chief

Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

seabeechief

Re: Add a power outlet for GPS

Postby seabeechief » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:05 pm

I see that the pictures did not make the post. I tried it twice. I don't know what else to do.

Chief
Darkside #1609

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:40 pm

Chief, you do not have a photo album on the site that I can see. Maybe Scott (WingAdmin) can figure that out. A common method of posting pics is to upload them into ones albums and then copy the location into your post. A link to an online photo storage also works. Scott has posted instructions on how to put pics into posts. Those may be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5647

and also may be found in your user control panel.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:01 pm

[attachment=0]2014-03-08-01.JPG
OK, if this works we are going to be famous! This is what I was TRYING to describe. I want to add an additional power socket and place in under the left pocket. I think there is room under there. Then I want to run the cable from the GPS on the right handle bar to the new power socket. But I don't know how to get the cable over there, across the bike, under the fork. I am absolutely intimidated at removing the dash panel. I have had the seat off, so there may be a way to wire it under there that way. I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy CD's from Fred Harmon.

Chief
Attachments
Left pocket, pic 1
Left pocket, pic 1
left pocket, pic 2
left pocket, pic 2
Darkside #1609

winger05
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1987 GL1200 Aspencade
2005 GL1800

Postby winger05 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:40 am

If you have a Garmin GPS, You may want to go this route instead. I installed this on my 1800 and it installed and works great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00880 ... UTF8&psc=1

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:28 am

Chief - is your GPS mounted on the right side of the bike? Can you change the mounting location to the left side? That would simplify the wiring. Another option would be to hook your new power outlet directly to the Auxilary power out beside the battery, and run the wires under your seat.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:56 am

themainviking wrote:Chief - is your GPS mounted on the right side of the bike? Can you change the mounting location to the left side? That would simplify the wiring. Another option would be to hook your new power outlet directly to the Auxilary power out beside the battery, and run the wires under your seat.

Viking & Winger 05; thanks to you both for your suggestions. Viking, I have an XM satellite radio bracket already hooked up on the left handle bar, so I don't want to mess with that. The wiring harness that Winger05 suggested looks like it may be the best reasonable answer. I think I can I can handle wiring under the seat. I still need to talk to someone at Ram Mounts about getting a bracket with the smaller "balls". Since the bracket is already there and is part of the brake fluid reservoir, I hope I can simply get a new bracket with smaller balls and use the same screws to put it all back together. I'm sure someone could explain that better than I just did. Thanks again for y'all coming to help.

Chief
Darkside #1609

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Chief, I have my Garmin NUVI mounted on the same RAM Mount clutch/brake reservoire clamp adaptors. I searched for and found a RAM Mount for my specific GPS model and 1" (B) ball diamond base adapter that bolted to the GPS holder itself. I attached the holder and its new ball to the clamp adapters with a standard RAM Arm for the B size balls. You won't find a matching 9/16" ball system that will work...
Next the real trick is my GPS uses a Traffic enabled power cord with a mini USB connection thus the other end reduces power from 12 to 5 volts and I had to add a cigarette lighter power port to the right side on my bike. So I went to EC ( http://www.electricalconnection.com/cat ... rcycle.htm ) and got a power splitter and tapped it off the power supply hidden behing the right forward speaker (just below the mirror and adjacent the vent temperature sensor, the wire is very short). I didn't need to split the power, just extend it so I could add a power plug to the right hand glove box. If you have the the 3 pin hitachi connectors you could use them to attach a lighter socket on long wires straight to the power point, but I'm on an 2002 and I think later models use that port for something I don't have thus you'll want a splitter probably. EC also has hitachi connectors, power ports, and all sorts of wiring harnesses for anyone not comfortable creating their own.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:54 pm

PastoT wrote:Chief, I have my Garmin NUVI mounted on the same RAM Mount clutch/brake reservoire clamp adaptors. I searched for and found a RAM Mount for my specific GPS model and 1" (B) ball diamond base adapter that bolted to the GPS holder itself. I attached the holder and its new ball to the clamp adapters with a standard RAM Arm for the B size balls. You won't find a matching 9/16" ball system that will work...
Next the real trick is my GPS uses a Traffic enabled power cord with a mini USB connection thus the other end reduces power from 12 to 5 volts and I had to add a cigarette lighter power port to the right side on my bike. So I went to EC ( http://www.electricalconnection.com/cat ... rcycle.htm ) and got a power splitter and tapped it off the power supply hidden behing the right forward speaker (just below the mirror and adjacent the vent temperature sensor, the wire is very short). I didn't need to split the power, just extend it so I could add a power plug to the right hand glove box. If you have the the 3 pin hitachi connectors you could use them to attach a lighter socket on long wires straight to the power point, but I'm on an 2002 and I think later models use that port for something I don't have thus you'll want a splitter probably. EC also has hitachi connectors, power ports, and all sorts of wiring harnesses for anyone not comfortable creating their own.

PastoT, I bought the wiring harness (link below) and clamp adaptors, all from Amazon. They should be here today or tomorrow. My problem, as I have said before, is that I'm ignorant of the terminology and the parts/equipment in these applications. I simply have never been exposed to it. I spent most of my life hanging off a body belt or standing in a bucket truck where it was illegal or against the laws of nature for anything to weigh less that 40 lbs. So hitachi connectors and 3.5 mm connectors and usb stuff is a foreign language. But I'm getting there. You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks, and I'm a pretty old dog. Thanks for your help. If it weren't for all you guys on the forums, I would never get anything done.

Chief

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00880 ... UTF8&psc=1
Darkside #1609

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:36 am

Hey Chief_ have you thought of adding one of the 3 outlet(W/usb) things they sell at Wallyworld? They only run about $10 and with some good quality velcro, you can mount it anywhere that's convenient. Just plug it into your existing one and you can now power at least three things AND still charge your phone!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”