New season, new tires

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
wilmo
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE Blue-the fastest color
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

New season, new tires

Postby wilmo » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:28 pm

Today was the day. Pulled both bikes out of hibernation. Out in the sun, I could see some things I wasn't real thrilled about. I bought this bike in 2012. In August I put a new front tire on due to wear of the old one. Matched it to the rear, this is the sad part, Dunlop E3. The front tire is cracking aggressively on both sides. This tire has less than 6k miles on it. What a waste of money. The rear has a sidewall slit where the second E is for Elite. Pics are included. I don't trust these so I bought some Pirelli's, which I think are better than Dunlops-never liked them. Which means I get to learn how to remove the rear tire and go through the splines and stuff. Would appreciate any and all tips n tricks with this. I've done the front tire before, no big deal.
I'll never buy Dunlop again, they appear to be defective right out of the box. Hated em on my scooter, too, that's how I discovered Pirelli. If not them then probably Michelin Commanders.

Attachments

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: New season, new tires

Postby bustedwing » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:58 pm

I agree with you, I would not trust that tire for anything but a fire starter. I have had real good luck with the Michelins , got 28k on the front of every one I've used, which is 3 so far. Not bad for a trike. 6k is very low . I suppose riding on certain roads could cause that, I'm not a tire expert. If it happens again either you have something wrong on board or your roads or habits need change.
Proud member Patriot Guard

wilmo
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE Blue-the fastest color
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Re: New season, new tires

Postby wilmo » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:13 pm

The front tire is the only one I can take full responsibility of since I bought it. date code is 4311 BTW. The rear was on it when I bought it. When I had the OEM Dunlops on my scooter, they began 'filleting' for lack of a better term where the rubber would literally roll off in thin sheets as I rode it. That said, it gives me a belief that their engineering may not be manufacturable. Anyway, with my experience with them, they no longer exist in my world. Same with Pennzoil but that's another story :evil:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”