AMA vs AAA

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
PRACTIKALGUY
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

AMA vs AAA

Postby PRACTIKALGUY » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:15 pm

I'm trying to decide whether to join the AMA or AAA. I like that the AMA is motorcycle centered, but the AAA offers cycle assistance now with 100 and/or 200 mile tow options!

Anyone have a preference and/or experience in this realm?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: AMA vs AAA

Postby themainviking » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:04 pm

Actually, strange as it may seem, Rescue Plus that bundles with GWRRA membership is about the best I have found.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:55 am

I highly recommend joining the AMA. Yes you get a roadside assistance/tow program with membership as long as you meet certain standards but the real advantage is that the AMA supports motorcycling. They have folks in Washington, DC to lobby the federal legislators on issues like motorcycle only road checks, noise monitoring, universal helmet laws, and so forth.

The AAA does almost nothing to protect your right to ride or even to protect your privilege to ride a motorcycle.

Yes the tow package from AAA is a good one and is worth considering but then so is the Good Sam Roadside Assistance Program, and there is always the Motorcycle Towing Service which really got it started for motorcycling and roadside assistance. And there are other providers such as the excellent program from GWRRA, Rescue Plus. Honda also offers a Roadside Assistance Program but coverage may be limited.

Your insurance company may also offer a program. Picking a program is a matter of determining what you want, what you are willing to pay, and what program will cover your bike. As an example, I also ride a 1981 CBX and some plans will not cover it due to age.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

PRACTIKALGUY
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby PRACTIKALGUY » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:27 pm

I just wish the AMA had a longer tow option. Although it's $116/year ($67 more than AMA), the 200 mile tow is very tempting. Plus, your 4-wheeled vehicles are covered, to include RVs.

lhelber
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:32 pm

The Gold Wing Road Riders Association (GWRRA) has the Rescue Plus option free with your membership. Just like AAA it covers you, in a cage or on your bike. They have extended towing (80 miles) for an additional fee. I remember my membership is less then half the price of AAA too. I have used rescue plus a couple of times and have been very happy with the service.

A GWRRA membership also comes with a very nice magazine, Wing World, devoted to Gold Wings, Valkyries and now F6Bs. There are other discounts and benefits that come with the memberships but Rescue Plus and the Wing World are the best parts. Chances are there is a local Chapter near you if you are interested in groups or group riding. That part is very optional.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”