Pilots? Aircraft owners? Speak up!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Pilots? Aircraft owners? Speak up!

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:16 pm

Over the years of being involved with Goldwings, one of the interesting things I have noticed is that there is a disproportionate number of pilots and small aircraft owners amongst us. I'm not sure what it is that draws Wing owners to airplanes or vice versa - but I'm curious: If you are a pilot, were a pilot, own or owned a plane, speak up and tell us about it!

I can start off: I am a FAA Commercial, single and multi-engine certificated pilot with instrument rating, and have the equivalent Canadian certifications except for the multi-engine, which I never bothered to do in Canada when I was getting my equivalency. I have been flying since I was about 4 years old, when my father (who is also a pilot, and was an instructor) took me up for the first time. I grew up with an airplane in the family most of my life, first with a Piper Tri-Pacer and later a Cherokee 180. I flew that Cherokee all over the place, as did both of my brothers. My youngest brother now flies 737's for Canadian North.

My dad and I next to the Cherokee 180
My dad and I next to the Cherokee 180

smilam
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 With a Roadsmith Trike Conversion

Re: Pilots? Aircraft owners? Speak up!

Postby smilam » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:01 pm

I am a former pilot. My wife wasn't fond of me flying as her father had taken her up when she was small and scared her pretty badly. I was also getting bored with flying in straight lines and aerobatic instruction was expensive so I gave it up. In the late 70's I took up flying radio controlled airplanes and helicopters and find that I can do all of the aerobatics that I want and if I crash I just go pick up the pieces and walk away. I am a member of EAA and am going to Air Venture this year. I also have a lot of friends that take me up sometimes and I help with the local aerobatic club when they have contest. This has allowed me to take aerobatic rides in a Decathalon and a Pitts.
Steve
Attachments

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:04 pm

My wife and I both got our pilots licenses back in 1995, flying Cessna 172 and 182, Cherokee pipers and other small 4 seaters. I then got my high performance rating and we then bought a 2 seater kit helicopter known as a rotor way exec162f. It took us a year to build it and we then both passed our pilots licenses in it. When my wife passed her rotor wing license, she was 5 months pregnant with our first child, at the time we didn't know if it was a boy or a girl, but the FAA examiner gave my wife her pilots certificate and then gave us a second certificate for "baby Waugh", "learning by osmosis". We still have the certificates and my daughter loves to tell everyone that she has a helicopter license!! Unfortunately we stopped flying in 2003 when we moved back to Europe. A few years later we returned to the USA and have stayed here ever since, but never got round to renewing our licenses. I still think that flying in a helicopter is the only way to fly, but it's very expensive and so much more dangerous than a fixed wing aircraft!! I will try and find a few pictures to share.
Like smilax, I fly large radio controlled helicopters and planes, it's a lot cheaper than the real thing, but nothing like as much fun!!

Gary

STBear
Motorcycle: 1988 1500 (daily driver)
1984 Interstate (in work)
1984 Aspencade (next)

Postby STBear » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:51 am

I flew for many years, both recreationally and for work. Here's my CV:

Commercial License - ASMEL; Rotorcraft - Helicopter (Enstrom, JetRanger); CFII - ASEL

I taught for many years at a few of our local airports just for fun and a few bucks (you will never earn back what it cost to get the ratings, however).

I flew for the local Police Department for 8 1/2 years - some airplane, mostly helicopter.

I used to parts of a 172 and a 182. Have flown across Canada, all over the US, and took a Helio Courier to Guadalajara for an Air Show where I got to meet Bob Herendeen and Bob Hoover.

All this fun pretty much stopped when I had the AMI 4 years ago (heart attack - came as a surprise).

I still miss flying very much - maybe the Goldwing is close to the feeling of flying and that's why pilots are drawn to it. Of course it could be the renowned dependability of the Wing - dependable equipment is high on a pilot's list of a good aircraft.

You know what they say - There is nothing more useless that the altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel you didn't think you'd need.

Take care.
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.
Any landing where you can use the helicopter again is a great landing.

Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Postby Breakdancer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:51 am

I'm not a pilot or an aircraft owner. However I do fly. Eight years ago my wife bought me a tandem skydive. The joy and exhilaration was so intense that by the time I landed I immediately knew there was going to be a whole lot more of this !!! Talk about freedom, flying your body has to rank right up there. I was 44 when I started. Think you are too old to try it? President George H.W. Bush did a tandem for his 85th birthday!! I'm not in it to get hurt. The ones you usually hear, or read about in the news are the ones that think they are better than what they are, (AKA Mr. Hot dog, or hey girls, watch this). They try doing too much too soon. Anyone wishing to give it a whirl ?? Never say never. Afraid of heights? Many skydivers are. It's just a different kind of height. If I jump from 12,000ft. I know i'll be okay. If I fall off the roof of my house, well, that's going to hurt. :D Oh, and my user name. That's how someone said it looked like when i was starting out. Now its when I dance, I'm afraid I might break. :lol:
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

flyinrob
Motorcycle: 1996 Gl1500 Aspencade

Postby flyinrob » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:58 pm

Ok, I just gotta jump in on this one. I have been lurking these forums for a while but haven't posted until now. I have been a pilot for many years. I used to be involved in the freight business and flew a Cessna 310 and a Cessna 404. These days I am a skydiving instructor here in California and on occasion fly the Twin Otter.

So, hiya to everyone!!

Rob
Attachments

dnehasert
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 with Watsonian sidecar

Postby dnehasert » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:35 pm

I had my license in the '60's , Private and Commercial, took the flight instructor test and then took a job overseas in '66 and pretty much quit flying as it got too expensive . In January i had an hour in a Kinner, 2 place low wing trainer. It was the first time I'd handled the controls since 1967. was fun but at age 76 I don't think I'll do it again. I often have said over the years tha motorcycles are like '2-dimensional flying.' It's almost as fun and lot's cheaper. :lol:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:11 pm

flyinrob wrote:Ok, I just gotta jump in on this one. I have been lurking these forums for a while but haven't posted until now. I have been a pilot for many years. I used to be involved in the freight business and flew a Cessna 310 and a Cessna 404. These days I am a skydiving instructor here in California and on occasion fly the Twin Otter.

So, hiya to everyone!!

Rob

My youngest brother (737 pilot) flew as a bush pilot in the Northwest Territories (near the arctic circle) for many, many years. He has a ton of time in Twin Otters, on wheels, floats and skis. I think I've posted this here before, but this is him some time ago:

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Postby offcenter » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:23 pm

I'm a private pilot SEL. I can't afford a plane, but I have a good friend who owns a Piper Tomahawk that I have my own set of keys for. I have a bit over 260 hours in that plane and I can't thank my friend enough. It's something I've wanted to do since I was a kid.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:08 pm

To all of those of us that like "airplane noise", I have posted an item in Just for Fun. It may bring a tear to your eye :lol:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:09 pm

redial wrote:To all of those of us that like "airplane noise", I have posted an item in Just for Fun. It may bring a tear to your eye :lol:

Thanks for posting, I couldn't stop laughing at it!!

Gary

dnehasert
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 with Watsonian sidecar

Postby dnehasert » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:01 pm

Great storyof a daring (?) pilot ! :-) :D

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:45 am

Private pilot SEL Though I haven't flown myself in several years. Also an A&P and used to fly for maintaining a few planes. Wanted a Goldwing way before I became a pilot. Besides, a goldwing is way cheaper to "fly" than an airplane. Still enjoy aviation subjects.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

W3JNP
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800 - Titanium

Postby W3JNP » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:41 am

I'm an active pilot having got my ticket back in the 70's. I've jumped out of them more than a few times as well. I'm also on my second Goldwing and think the dual attraction may be related to the joy and feeling of freedom that both the bike and plane give.
2004 Titanium GL1800
Reading, Pa

jbstok
Motorcycle: 2006 Gold Wing

Postby jbstok » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:56 am

Like W3JNP, I'm an active pilot that got my ticket in the late 70's. I rode motorcycles as a kid then again shortly after college, but only borrowed bikes up until last year. For the past 25 years I was a warbird guy, flying WWII era trainers, fighters and the occasional light transport. Sold my warbird a year and a half ago and now fly an experimental RV-8. I got the Goldwing last July and have ridden it about 5000 miles since. Aviation is getting less and less fun for various reasons, mostly relating to regulation, and the motorcycle is a lot easier to just fire up and go. We just traded motorhomes specifically so I could put a lift on the back and take the bike with us on our travels (don't tell my wife, she thinks it was her idea). It's nice the see the country from ground level for a change.

As an aside, I also found a disportionate number of scuba divers who were also pilots. Pilots just like to have fun :)

Ufly2
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Postby Ufly2 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:05 am

I am a retired Kansas Air National Guard pilot with 29 years of service (including 20 Active Duty in the Air Guard).
I earned my private pilots license at age 18 by gluing PVC pipe and driving a van around the Los Angeles area. With hopes of flying jets I joined the California Air National Guard in 1979 and entered USAF Undergraduate Pilot Training in 1981.
While being blessed to live my childhood dreams I piloted the: T-37, T-38, F-4C, F-4D, F-4E, F-16A, F-16B, B-1B, KC-135R.
For medical reasons I no longer fly full scale but I do continue my love of flying through radio control with a 37% Extra 300 and my GL1800 :shock: .
If you are ever in South Central Kansas give me a shout - tames@ks-usa.net
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:05 am

jbstok wrote:Like W3JNP, I'm an active pilot that got my ticket in the late 70's. I rode motorcycles as a kid then again shortly after college, but only borrowed bikes up until last year. For the past 25 years I was a warbird guy, flying WWII era trainers, fighters and the occasional light transport. Sold my warbird a year and a half ago and now fly an experimental RV-8. I got the Goldwing last July and have ridden it about 5000 miles since. Aviation is getting less and less fun for various reasons, mostly relating to regulation, and the motorcycle is a lot easier to just fire up and go. We just traded motorhomes specifically so I could put a lift on the back and take the bike with us on our travels (don't tell my wife, she thinks it was her idea). It's nice the see the country from ground level for a change.

As an aside, I also found a disportionate number of scuba divers who were also pilots. Pilots just like to have fun :)

Love the WWII airplanes - which ones were you flying - and what did you have? I agree about regulation spoiling the fun however. Seems like the government is doing everything they can to kill GA, in every possible way.

flyinrob
Motorcycle: 1996 Gl1500 Aspencade

Postby flyinrob » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:09 am

Ufly2 wrote:I am a retired Kansas Air National Guard pilot with 29 years of service (including 20 Active Duty in the Air Guard).
I earned my private pilots license at age 18 by gluing PVC pipe and driving a van around the Los Angeles area. With hopes of flying jets I joined the California Air National Guard in 1979 and entered USAF Undergraduate Pilot Training in 1981.
While being blessed to live my childhood dreams I piloted the: T-37, T-38, F-4C, F-4D, F-4E, F-16A, F-16B, B-1B, KC-135R.
For medical reasons I no longer fly full scale but I do continue my love of flying through radio control with a 37% Extra 300 and my GL1800 :shock: .
If you are ever in South Central Kansas give me a shout - tames@ks-usa.net

Very nice!! I always loved the F-4. I thought it was one bad-ass looking airplane. I got to fly a desk in the Air Force. Started flying when I got out. Ended up flying car parts every night. Good thing was the freight never complained about my landings!!!

Pilgrim
Motorcycle: 1994 Gold Wing Aspencade GL1500

Postby Pilgrim » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:16 am

My first set of wheels, after a bicycle, was a motorcycle. I've always been a fan of flying motorcycles. I say "flying" because I've always believed that something that naturally wants to tip over or crash (and yet is otherwise piloted through the air) is flown. I guess a motorcycle could be viewed as the poor man's airplane!
--
Bill "Interstate Ranger" Mallia
Homeport - Plymouth, MA
1994 Gold Wing Aspencade GL1500
http://www.billmallia.com/ranger.htm

The Path To The Wing:
2001 Honda ST1100
1995 Honda American Classic Edition 750
1982 Honda CM400
1978 Honda CB200

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:17 am

flyinrob wrote:Very nice!! I always loved the F-4. I thought it was one bad-ass looking airplane. I got to fly a desk in the Air Force. Started flying when I got out. Ended up flying car parts every night. Good thing was the freight never complained about my landings!!!

Me too, the F-4 was always one of my favorite airplanes. I have a distinct memory as a kid having one come directly overhead during an airshow, and smelling the kerosene after it went past.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:11 pm

I welcome all the new contributors to this site, and obviously this topic has brought some of them out. I notice quite a number of contributors that have very low postings, and trust that they will contribute with words and/or pictures. Thanks for inputs.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

RickEDawg
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800HPNA

Postby RickEDawg » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:37 pm

I a retired from the US Air Force in 1993 having flown mostly the KC-135 Tanker and the E-3A AWACS. After the Air Force I flew commercially with a company called American Trans Air, later just called ATA. It was a great job. Most of my hours were in the B-757 but also flew the B-727 and B-737. Unfortunately, the airline went bust in 2008 so I just retired.

I got my first motorcycle in 1980 and rode for some time before parking it because the people in Oklahoma City kept trying to kill me. After we moved to the wide open spaces of Eastern Colorado I had to get a motorcycle to ride in the mountains. Started with a VTX 1300 and loved it. Eventually, upgraded to a VTX 1800 but my goal was always to have a Goldwing. My wife and I bought a GL1800 several years ago and have had a great time with it.

To me there is a similarity in the feelings of flying and riding. It's hard to put a finger on. Maybe as others have said it's the control of a machine and the sense of freedom.
Attachments
Another sweet ride
Another sweet ride

Jim1
Motorcycle: 2013 gold wing F6B trike

Postby Jim1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:59 pm

I used my gi benefits to obtain an instrument instructor rating. I started out when I was stationed in Puerto Rico in Piper Cherokee aircraft. Field elevation there is sea level. If you get a chance to chat with an instrument pilot they can teach you a lot about eye movement and scan techniques. I now pilot a F6B Gold Wing. Planes are more expensive to operate.
Attachments
Obtaining the maximum enjoyment from operating a motorcycle is a mind game. Keep the mind on the ride from exiting the friction zone to kick stand down at the end of the ride.

karlsgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Postby karlsgoldwing » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:03 pm

I found this discussion on the email I received from Goldwindocs and was surprised by the idea I've ridden bikes since high school in the late 60s with my first Honda 90. I worked my way up to a 76 Goldwing which was a wonderful machine. I had a few old BMW R60/2s then found an older '81 GL1100 in California with only 9000 miles which I've cleaned up to be my present bike. I am also a private pilot, although not actively flying now. I felt the same way about flying that I do about riding. Either do it a lot or don't do it at all. Both require a great deal of skill and you can easily lose that skill when you don't practice. I was flying less and less as my business got busier and I realized that the skill that I think I had was decliningago I put flying on hold. I feel the same about riding motorcycles. There is so much more traffic and many more distractions like phones now than in the '70s and '80s that the skill necessary to ride safely and stay alive is higher. We as a riding community have to practice our skills and keep them high. As we approach spring and dust off the old bike, get your body, mind and bike in shape for a great summer. Ride safely and enjoy this wonderful freedom of riding.

jbstok
Motorcycle: 2006 Gold Wing

Postby jbstok » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:26 am

WingAdmin wrote:Love the WWII airplanes - which ones were you flying - and what did you have? I agree about regulation spoiling the fun however. Seems like the government is doing everything they can to kill GA, in every possible way.

I owned a T-6 for 6 months shy of 25 years and owned a C-45 for a couple of years (Twin Beech). That one was a pain in the wallet. The T-6 taught me more about flying than anything else I've ever flown. Aerobatics, formation flying, airshows and just plain old good airmanship while still having fun. It also taught me that flying instruments without an autopilot is a PITA. I had a nice little Twin Comanche I used for travel for many years. After I retired and sold my company, I flew one of only 3 flying SBD Dauntless dive bombers for CAF (Commemorative Air Force), then became a rides pilot in their P-51. Good stuff, lots of yanking and banking. Sadly their rules have changed since I 'retired' from CAF and no longer can the current rides pilots perform aerobatics with paying pax on board. Damn shame to treat that airplane like a 737. Now I just enjoy my little RV-8 (bought not built) and go whenever I get the urge. Like yesterday. I live on my own airport and the Goldwing is parked next to the airplane in the hangar with the big RV right next door. The downside of that is that I spend a LOT of time mowing.

Don't even get me started on the regulation thing. I can rant for some time. When you fly your own airplane from your own runway, don't perform in public or take pax for hire, you can avoid a lot of the aggravation though. Now I try to treat the Feds like a wasp. If they won't bother me I won't bother them.
Attachments
My former ride
My former ride
My current ride
My current ride

Return to “Goldwing Chat”