My opinion 1800 vrs 1500

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
sparkyman
Motorcycle: 2008 1800 comfort pkg, navigation

My opinion 1800 vrs 1500

Postby sparkyman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:41 pm

Hello everyone i haven't been on here in a while so i decided i would give my opinion on the 1500 and the 1800. I just got my 1800 last july but got a chance to ride often.Let me just start by saying i love my goldwings the 1500 rode alot better as far as comfort soaked up the bumps like a dream.The bike had more room in the bags and the trunk than the 1800 and i really miss that.My S.O. would fall asleep on the back and could ride for hours.Now the bad, the 1500 was a pig at slow speeds and for me took alot of effort to keep it up right the stereo did not perform near as well as the 18. As for the 1800 my S.O cant ride more than an hour without stopping says the ride is rough and gets beat up by the wind.I on the other hand think it handles much better and is alot easier to control at slow speeds the ride is a little more rough but i can ride farther than i could on the 15. The biggest thing for me to get used to is the lack of room in the bags and trunk also the foot pegs seem farther back so i find myself using the highway peg alot more.Well so far i have put on a taller wind shield added foam to the passenger backrest and installed baker air wing under the mirrors. I haven't rode yet this year so i hope this help my S.O. enjoy the ride a little more so we can do more riding together this year. If i could buy a new 1500 i would i think for long trips it is the best wing built.

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Re: My opinion 1800 vrs 1500

Postby seelyark1 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:57 pm

I have been debating just this for the last few days. My son has an 1800, and has ridden my 1500. after reading a lot of comments on this site I am leaning towards another 1500. Time will tell.
There are some real good points about both. :D Thanks for the post.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:07 am

sparkyman wrote:Hello everyone i haven't been on here in a while so i decided i would give my opinion on the 1500 and the 1800. I just got my 1800 last july but got a chance to ride often.Let me just start by saying i love my goldwings the 1500 rode alot better as far as comfort soaked up the bumps like a dream.The bike had more room in the bags and the trunk than the 1800 and i really miss that.My S.O. would fall asleep on the back and could ride for hours.Now the bad, the 1500 was a pig at slow speeds and for me took alot of effort to keep it up right the stereo did not perform near as well as the 18. As for the 1800 my S.O cant ride more than an hour without stopping says the ride is rough and gets beat up by the wind.I on the other hand think it handles much better and is alot easier to control at slow speeds the ride is a little more rough but i can ride farther than i could on the 15. The biggest thing for me to get used to is the lack of room in the bags and trunk also the foot pegs seem farther back so i find myself using the highway peg alot more.Well so far i have put on a taller wind shield added foam to the passenger backrest and installed baker air wing under the mirrors. I haven't rode yet this year so i hope this help my S.O. enjoy the ride a little more so we can do more riding together this year. If i could buy a new 1500 i would i think for long trips it is the best wing built.

Wife and I are in the same boat.We got ours in June and did a trip in July(approx 3500 miles)and like your wife mine used to fall asleep quite often,but not on this bike.She actually tore a muscle that runs from her spine area to her ribcage on a bump similar to a speed bump(small strip across the road no where near the size of a speed bump.I had time to do some research on the 1800 suspension before we had left and I had checked and filled the rear shock actuator and shimmed the ADV.Better,but not enough.I should also mention that mine has a heated Corbin seat that moves me back a couple of inches that I really like as it gets me back away from the fairing.That was the biggest drawback to the stock 1800 for me when I first jumped on one.The pass backrest is sloped back too much the same as stock(would be easier on her back if she was sitting up strait)so I'm trying to find out if one of those wedges will fit the Corbin.I purchased a 2013 trike take-off rear shock/spring and just ordered Progressive front springs to see if I can make it better.I'm also going CT as it is supposed to soak up some of the smaller harsher bumps.

PS I was concerned about the difference in storage as well,but we had no problem packing enough for a couple of weeks.That's including taking a small Slime compressor in case I get a flat.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:34 am

I rode an 1800 once for about 300 miles. I am 5'11" with a 33 inch inseam. The leg room for me was a big problem that will keep me on my 1500. I have more legroom on the gl1000 than the 1800. I noticed the difference in ride comfort between the 1500 and the 1800 but they are both a motorcycle. I also noticed a slight difference in engine noise also. The 1800 has a more pronounced whine while running through the gears. My wife says that we will not be buying an 1800 because of the difference in comfort though. We use the 15 for touring so I don't consider the difference in performance (acceleration) to be a factor. All that said, if someone would give me one I think I could be convinced to ride it. :D
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:19 am

dingdong wrote:I rode an 1800 once for about 300 miles. I am 5'11" with a 33 inch inseam. The leg room for me was a big problem that will keep me on my 1500. I have more legroom on the gl1000 than the 1800. I noticed the difference in ride comfort between the 1500 and the 1800 but they are both a motorcycle. I also noticed a slight difference in engine noise also. The 1800 has a more pronounced whine while running through the gears. My wife says that we will not be buying an 1800 because of the difference in comfort though. We use the 15 for touring so I don't consider the difference in performance (acceleration) to be a factor. All that said, if someone would give me one I think I could be convinced to ride it. :D

I'm pretty much the same size as you and an aftermarket seat(a must on any Wing as far as I'm concerned)and a good set of hiway pegs goes a long way when it comes to leg room on the 18.The difference in engine performance isn't an issue with me either.Like you I bought it for comfortable touring and was quite happy with the 1500 .
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

nitefuzz
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

Postby nitefuzz » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:32 pm

I currently have a 1998 1500 SE, loving it so far. I am 6'4" and 235 lbs., I am very comfortable on the Wing and haven't had any problems so far. We found the Wing last September for sale from a retired gentlemen in his 70's and the Wing only has 20,000 miles on it. As long as I can ride it will be the wing for me and my wife.

sparkyman
Motorcycle: 2008 1800 comfort pkg, navigation

Postby sparkyman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:36 pm

I do want to say i still love my 1800 i ride it to work as much as the weather here in mi will allow.The performance is great but not a deal breaker for me.I do love the fact that the 18 has fuel injection no more carbs to deal with overall i am happy with the bike i just wish my wife felt the same.I just dont think i should have to dump a ton of money in whats is supposed to be the best touring bike ever made to make it comfortable for the passenger thanks for all your opinions its good info for riders ready for a new ride.

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:21 am

sparkyman wrote:I do want to say i still love my 1800 i ride it to work as much as the weather here in mi will allow.The performance is great but not a deal breaker for me.I do love the fact that the 18 has fuel injection no more carbs to deal with overall i am happy with the bike i just wish my wife felt the same.I just dont think i should have to dump a ton of money in whats is supposed to be the best touring bike ever made to make it comfortable for the passenger thanks for all your opinions its good info for riders ready for a new ride.

Those were my exact thoughts as well.Seems to me that Mother Honda got away from what the previous Wings were all about.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

cap10paul
Motorcycle: Currently 93 SE Wing, 94 SE and a 2005 Anniversary 1800 GL.
In the past: 95' HD roadie, 36' HD, 305 Honda dream, Ducati, Cushman, Yamaha 350, Honda CT 110 and DT 50 and a Rupp mini bike.

Postby cap10paul » Thu May 01, 2014 11:17 am

Hi All,

94 degrees here in Palm Springs but 60 mph winds yesterday prevented my "first of the year " ride.
With 250,000 miles on my 93 SE I picked up a 05' Anniversary 1800. First long trip was 3,000 miles up the coast from California to Oregon and back. There is no doubt the 1500 was more comfortable, had larger storage and rode like a couch on wheels compared to the 1800.
I find the 1800 to be much more nimble and overall am glad to trade the soft comfort for the direct stability. I camp so there are times when the road is dirt and the 1800 goes where the 1500 would be way out of place. I can get up on the pegs of the 1800 and keep straight through soft and sandy loam that the 1500 would have bogged down in.
Changing the rear tire is easier than checking the air pressure on the 1500 and several things seem easier to work on in the field.
I ride solo so I can't speak to the comfort of the passenger but I agree with earlier posts that say any GW needs a different seat. Plenty of space for one I carry too much but want for nothing when I'm in a remote area for extended periods. I end up being the guy who has that extra tool or cooking utensil to loan to others.
IMHO the 1800 has a road bike feel and a sport bike suspension that makes it safer and less work. I appreciate the extra power but really only gain 500 rpm at the same cruising speed ( 75mph). I feel like I have to ride it as it isn't as forgiving but the speed, handling, and well rounded ability make it a better fit for me.
IMHO the 1500 is the comfort of a pair of Levis that fit and forgives that rut in the road without upsetting the applecart. All the room in the world and a seat configuration that allows for hours on end with no discernible aches and pains. There is a beauty to the 1500 that lets you know it is a GW while the 1800 has that sport bike , touring cross over thing that BMW, Ducati and all the other metrics have gone too. Common round aerodynamics as opposed to the distinctive angular lines of the 1500.
Which one is better? As you can see I have love for both and like having two children, I can't say which is better. But we all have a favorite in the back of our mind and a pair of great fitting Levi's will always be my go to for comfort and familiarity.

jmcruz
Motorcycle: 2010 gl1800

Postby jmcruz » Thu May 01, 2014 11:44 am

I recently purchased a 2010 with ABS. My old bike was a 1995 Aspencade. The major difference I have noticed is the 2010 seems to have a lower center of gravity, and therefore is easier to handle in slow manuvers. As far as cruising, both ride great on the highway. The 2010 does handle a bit better in the curves. You will definitely not have to fight or push so hard while cornering. I find the both have plenty of power...roll on power.

You would enjoy either on long trips.

GreenDragon
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby GreenDragon » Thu May 01, 2014 2:55 pm

I have never ridden a 1500. I would like the increased storage space, but we manage pretty well with what we have. We do not pull a trailer and take many rides of 1 to 2 weeks with all we need to carry. The way the 1800 handles is great and I can't imagine stepping backwards to a 1500 just for more storage. And from what I have read it is not a significant increase in space, just a slightly noticeable difference.
But as I said, I have not ridden a 1500. Most of those I know that have had 1500 have stepped up to 1800 and for various reasons, performance, no carbs, easier maintenance (except for air filters), etc.
Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Wingrider44
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

Postby Wingrider44 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:09 pm

I have owned 3 different 1500s and 3 different 1800s over the last number of years. Over all, I've have owned every engine size of the Goldwing line. All the 1500s were awesome bikes and I loved riding each one. It is also the only bike I dropped at an intersection when my right foot went into a little dip in the road that I wasn't ready for, causing the bike to lean more than I was able to muscle back upright. Yes, the 1500 is the absolute king of touring comfort. But I still opted for the 1800. The reason being that I don't ride long distances but a couple of times per year. Overall, the handling of the 1800 to comfort ratio is superior when compared to the 1500. The comfort of the 1800 is only a little less than the 1500 but the handling of the 1800 is far superior to the 1500.

With all that said, if I was on a really long tour and I did the majority of my riding miles this way, I'd take a 1500. But for just plain riding overall, I love my 1800. If you go from the 1500 and get on an 1800 you will feel like you've climbed on board a sport bike. And the ride will really make you feel that way.

From a purchasing standpoint, the pricing of 1500s today is the absolute bargain in great touring motorcycles. You practically can't wear out the Goldwing engine.
Jaap Kroes
Amateur Radio Callsign: KR0ES
2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

SgtCharlie
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Goldwing Aspencade in "Plum Crazy" Purple

Postby SgtCharlie » Thu May 01, 2014 10:48 pm

Fatwing Chris wrote:I'm also going CT as it is supposed to soak up some of the smaller harsher bumps.

PS I was concerned about the difference in storage as well,but we had no problem packing enough for a couple of weeks.That's including taking a small Slime compressor in case I get a flat.

Two questions; well one comment and one question... first off, I'm putting the Austone Taxi tire on my 1500 as soon as I need a new R.T. and was curious if that would still fit on your 1800? Second question; why do you need a slime compressor in your storage bin? Doesn't the 1800 have a built in compressor like the 1500? I've used mine more for bike tires being trail vehicle at bike rides/races than I've ever used it for my 1500. However it does come in handy if you get a nail and have to re-inflate a tire after repairing it.
Sgt Charlie
86th Signal Battalion
Fort Bliss, TX

JohnSargent
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500SE Canadian Edition

Postby JohnSargent » Fri May 02, 2014 1:08 am

Hi All. I am waiting anxiously for the first ride of the season.
This is my second year with my 1992 GW SE Canadian Edition and if my second season is as good as my first... I will never change. I was actually in at the dealer today and just made the decision that the comfort I had with my ride was so nice, i couldn't even think of letting her go. Last season, 2013, I left from just north of Toronto, 2 days after making the bike roadworthy and inspected, with new rubber and a complete once over and headed for Key West. The next 23 days and 7500 km (5000 miles) were some of the most enjoyable I have ever spent riding. 140 km into the ride my son joined me on the adventure riding his '11 HD VRod. What a trooper he was. I pulled my paired Bushtec trailer for the whole trip and barring some rear brake replacement that needed to be done in South Miami it was the trip of a lifetime. The comfort and performance for this machine was great. It handled everything that I could throw at it. My wife flew to Orlando and rode for 10 days of the Florida trip as copilot and just loved the comfort and the ride. The airwings were great to help handle the cold when I started and the cooling airflow in the hot winds of Florida. I returned via the east coast through the Carolinas and just breezed through the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Smokey Mountains as I headed for the Tail of the Dragon in Kentucky. My SE handled the 139 curves in 11 miles like a dream and even with pulling the trailer through this amazing area of the country i traversed it in 37 minutes. These memories came flooding back today as I sat in the saddle of the 2014 Wing and just new I wouldn't have been as comfortable or relaxed on the 1800 as I was on the '92 SE. I did 16000 km on her last season with the various poker runs and rides I was on and she handled northern Ontario as easy as she handled the deep south. The one area I did notice is it did eat the rubber (I may have to consider The Dark Side) and the alternator was under powered and quit on me without notice, but getting an new alternator was easy and I bumped it up to a 95 amp and it only took me about 45 minutes to swap out today. The how to video was great on the site.
Bottom line.... I was going to change today and decided to stay with the 1500. Enjoy the season.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri May 02, 2014 2:43 am

SgtCharlie wrote:
Fatwing Chris wrote: Doesn't the 1800 have a built in compressor like the 1500?

No, it does not!

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Fri May 02, 2014 8:23 am

SgtCharlie wrote:
Fatwing Chris wrote:I'm also going CT as it is supposed to soak up some of the smaller harsher bumps.

Two questions; well one comment and one question... first off, I'm putting the Austone Taxi tire on my 1500 as soon as I need a new R.T. and was curious if that would still fit on your 1800? Second question; why do you need a slime compressor in your storage bin? Doesn't the 1800 have a built in compressor like the 1500? I've used mine more for bike tires being trail vehicle at bike rides/races than I've ever used it for my 1500. However it does come in handy if you get a nail and have to re-inflate a tire after repairing it.

Never heard of anyone running an Austone on an 1800.I don't know if you can get the right size.The 1800 has a hydraulic preload on the rear shock spring,so no built-in compressor.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

pidjones
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800A
1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine (project)

Postby pidjones » Fri May 02, 2014 1:18 pm

I have had a GL1000 and SEi, but never ridden a GL1500. I now have an '06 GL1800 Premium Audio. For comfort, I added a Utopia backrest (had a Markland backrest on the SEi). I also added the Baker handwings and airwings. That's about it. The wife uses a doubled Walmart seat cushion under her. No highway pegs, stock seat. Yeah, car tire (Michelin Primacy Alpin RF) because I was tired of putting new tires on so often, and Traxxion suspension for a bit better handling (mainly keeps from dragging foot pegs). We wear microfiber clothing when traveling to reduce luggage bulk (washes out in a sink and dries overnight). No trailer, but I have a hitch if we ever get one. We don't do many long trips and I try to avoid the interstates (although we will be traveling to New Orleans from Knoxville next weekend by slab, then back by Natchez Trace over the following week). I think the interstate is the big difference maker on these two machines - but I'd rather drive THROUGH small-town America than around it. That's part of my fun! I can see that the 1500 is probably somewhat more comfortable on the slab, but take the GL1800 to the two-lane roads (we live 45 minutes from the "dragon") and it really shines. BTW, my wife snoozes on the back of the 1800 even in the twisties. So far, >85k miles and still loving it!

drtjr
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby drtjr » Sat May 03, 2014 6:07 am

Ive not owned a 1800 but this is my take.
Im the third owner of my 99 1500 with 54000 mi. (Ill have to work on that)
I like the not so rounded lines of the 1500. The cargo space is larger on the 1500 but not noticeable. And the radio is a bit dated. I have added a compufire alt.

I 1800 has Fuel Injection The radio and nav systems are a plus. but opt for MP3 over CDs And is has a few more horses.

motorhead1977
Motorcycle: 2009 GL 1800 ABS, 2015 Ducati Scrambler 800, 1986 VFR 700

Postby motorhead1977 » Sat May 03, 2014 7:34 am

The last GL I had before our GL1800 was a GL1000 so no basis for comparison to the 1500. However, having ridden the BMW and HD tourers I prefer the GL. It handles the twisties and slab with aplomb and low speed maneuvers are a breeze. All the comfort and convenience items (cruise, GPS) function flawlessly and the sound system is on par with the sound of many home systems. The dragon was nearly as much fun as it was with my VFR800 (OK, just a tad slower) but we did get the chance to chat with and then follow Yellowwolf through The Gap (Yes he left us in his dust) and saw first hand (for a little while) what a GL1800 can do with suspension tweaks and a very accomplished rider. In all I think the GL1800 is a near perfect blend of touring comfort and twisty road agility and has the added benefit of extreme handling ability should it ever become necessary e.g. collision avoidance etc. Just my $.02
"When fascism comes to America it will be draped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis

WVJefo
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade "The 12"
1994 1500 Aspencade "The Black

Postby WVJefo » Sat May 03, 2014 8:54 pm

I had a rode a 1200 for one summer two years ago. My fiancé wanted something more comfortable than a Kawy 800 Valcun. Loved it but got the "need a bigger one fever" and wanted to upgrade badly to the 1500. Just did not have $10,000 or better for a 1800. Have a 94 1500 Aspy with 29k. Great bike, reliable , and comfortable. Cindy will ride all day on the back.
I think it really comes down to money. If I had 28 grand a new 1800 fully stocked would be what I would buy. BUT I didn't. I had $5500 and a desire to ride more than just to bike nights.
The 1500 PO put just over 25000 miles on this beauty and had full service every year at the dealer. (I did 4000 last summer) So I don't believe that the 29k on my 94 is any different than 29k on a 2004 1800.
So again it comes down to money. The best value is a 1500 with low miles by far. With money you save you can buy a boat or remodel your kitchen or buy your girlfriend that engagement ring.

Jeff

Wingrider44
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

Postby Wingrider44 » Sat May 03, 2014 10:33 pm

WVJefo wrote:I had a rode a 1200 for one summer two years ago. My fiancé wanted something more comfortable than a Kawy 800 Valcun. Loved it but got the "need a bigger one fever" and wanted to upgrade badly to the 1500. Just did not have $10,000 or better for a 1800. Have a 94 1500 Aspy with 29k. Great bike, reliable , and comfortable. Cindy will ride all day on the back.
I think it really comes down to money. If I had 28 grand a new 1800 fully stocked would be what I would buy. BUT I didn't. I had $5500 and a desire to ride more than just to bike nights.
The 1500 PO put just over 25000 miles on this beauty and had full service every year at the dealer. (I did 4000 last summer) So I don't believe that the 29k on my 94 is any different than 29k on a 2004 1800.
So again it comes down to money. The best value is a 1500 with low miles by far. With money you save you can buy a boat or remodel your kitchen or buy your girlfriend that engagement ring.

Jeff

Excellent points, Jeff.

As I said earlier, the 1500 is THE bargain in touring bikes today. I wish I had the money to buy one in addition to my 1800. The two or three long trips I take would be done with the 1500. :) :) :)
Jaap Kroes
Amateur Radio Callsign: KR0ES
2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

tagert
Motorcycle: 1969 Honda 450
1975 GL1000
1985 GL1200A Aspencade
1996 GL1500 SE
2007 750 Shadow Aero

Postby tagert » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:32 pm

I've been riding the Wing since the very first one, back in '75. Right now I ride a '96 SEI and find it's just a tad heavy for an oldster like myself. Recently I had a chance to ride a friend's 1800 and really enjoyed the ride, with a couple exceptions. First of all, the absence of the compressor as specified in one of the earlier post and likewise the position of the foot rest (I was not blessed with being tall). I guess, though, the most important problem for me is the extra weight. As I've aged I've found I've lost upper body strength and because of this have tipped over in the yard a couple of times. Luckily no damage to the bike, but a bit of embarrassment for the rider. If I had to make a choice considering the weight factor only, I think I would go back to my '86 1200, even though it doesn't have the comfort of either of the newer models. Wouldn't it be great if they made a specific model for us older folks. I turned 77 last month and still look forward to riding a few more miles down the road.

adsooter
Motorcycle: 1988 Goldwing

Postby adsooter » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:02 am

Hi guys,
This is my 2 cents on the matter, I have the first year gl 1500 and it is my second Goldwing, the first was a 78 gl 1000. I am a Harley owner and rider for decades and the thought of going to a wing was a bit concerning. After looking at a friends 1800 and riding with him on one of my Harleys, I tried his 1800 on for size. I am 5ft 3in. with a 28in inseam and it was a bit tall for me. The ride was by far smoother than my old FLT, but no pipe noise like my old Harley just a zummmmm sound going through the gears. It was a stiffer ride and I felt like I was on a sport bike that weighed 800 pounds. A few weeks later a 1988 gl 1500 deal fell right in my lap so I jumped on it at almost pocket change price, so I bought it and decided to make her mine.
First problem was I could not reach the ground with both tippy toes. After removing the seat and putting a corbin low and narrowed seat and I found a 175x60x16 motorcycle tire that gave me 1.5 in. lower profile, I could get my feet on the ground. The ride is the best I have ever been on, and guys I have been on hundreds of bikes, the performance is great and the fuel mileage is the same as my friends 1800. It averages about 41.5 same as his F.I. 1800.
The styling of the 1500 is far better than the 1800, the stereo system can be upgraded to exceed the 1800, and the only thing I would take from the 1800 and add it to the 1500 is the ease of changing the rear tire. The 1500 is a bitch, unless you take it to a shop and have it done.
Oh I still ride my Harleys and the wife prefers the back of the Goldwing and sleeps most of the time we are on the road, but when I am on a 2 to 3 hundred mile day ride I will always gas up the wing and ride in comfort.
With todays prices on gl 1500's at about 2 to 3 grand they are the best by on the market!!!!
Thanks
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Postby wing rider 2012 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:37 pm

Adsooter, I have owned 3 Goldwings, GL1000, GL1500 and the GL1800. There are some differences between the 1500 and the 1800 as far as comfort goes. I must say I thought the 1500 was much more comfortable than the 1800, however, my wife like the comfort of the 1800 more so than the 1500. Honda did do some re-engineering on the passengers comfort starting with the 2012 models, this is the model I have. I find the 1800 handles much better than the 1500 and it has power to spare. I like the idea of Honda doing away with the CD changer and going with an USB port for music. My GL1800 gets the same gas mileage as the 1500 did, 40-41 miles to the gallon. I think that the GL1500 is the classiest Gold Wing built, however, I do enjoy the 1800. For long distance touring, the Gold Wing is the only way to go.

I was just in your part of the world last weekend, a group of us rode over to Winchester Bay via 42 and returned via 38 and 138 into Sutherlin. Oakland is where I went to school many years ago, we live out on 138 at the bottom of Galagher Canyon.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

adsooter
Motorcycle: 1988 Goldwing

Postby adsooter » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:25 pm

Wing Rider, we call that doing the loop, about 175 miles and a good lunch run. Next time you are in the area stop by the carb. shop (you will now which one) and we can compare notes, I would like to here a bit more about your times with the 1500.
Cheers

Return to “Goldwing Chat”