Nothing is ever simple

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Nothing is ever simple

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:24 pm

Grr. I spent most of the weekend finishing up the electrical work on my bike, so I could put it back together. Got all the parts on, started tightening up bolts. I was tightening the bolt that holds the right rear crash bar in place, and I felt it give - I know that feeling, I've felt it more than a few times before. It sheared right off inside the frame hole.

After swearing and going inside to cool down, I took everything all back apart, then drilled a hole in the bolt. The bolt was wedged quite tight in the hole, and I really, really didn't want to chance breaking an EZ-Out in the bolt and just adding to the problem, so I decided to just drill it out completely and re-tap the hole. I started progressing with larger and larger drill bits until the bolt remnants fell out. Of course, I had destroyed the threads in the hole by then, so I smoothed out what was left, and re-tapped it once more.

Of course, I don't have a bolt that fits my newly tapped hole, so I guess I'm done for the night. So much for my goal of having my bike done and rideable this weekend!

Tapping after drilling
Tapping after drilling

Tapped hole
Tapped hole

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: Nothing is ever simple

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:31 pm

well you got it, and that's what counts ... there will be many weekends to come... :D Glad you got it..

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:34 pm

Amazing how a little thing like a broken bolt will hose up a hole day, and on to the next week. I have been through that too. HATE IT!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:58 am

Story of my life. No matter what I am working on. Be it bikes, autos or plumbing in the house. If I do a repair on a faucet I might as well go ahead and buy a new water line also. Oh woe is me! :roll: :lol:
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:39 am

while we are on the subject of War with the bike, I am going through a few battles with our 97 Jeep. I had a steering gear box leak, it was at the shaft of the pitman arm... Santa Marie that thing was on there [ARM]
,,, I used the puller designed for it, used a impact with it in place, did it come off, nope.... I use a cheater pipe and it turns, alright man :D I feel joy coming over my body then pop, it came down :shock: that's right the puller broke at the elbow.... :lol: I had to remove the gear box from the vehicle and get another puller,, I shot it with PB blaster again, put some pressure on it with impact then wacked it a few 20 times,,, just when I started cussing it, bam it broke loose....I got new seals in and I was good to go.. :lol: and Now, I just had war again with the oil filter adapter.. I got it loose and that was a battle too...I'm winning this war though... :lol: I'm making this Jeep road worthy just like I did the wing.. If any of you want a great vehicle project this jeep is simple to work on with exception of a few stubborn bolts and such.. :D

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:10 am

Don't you just love that feeling? You know it shouldn't feel like that but it is too late, and usually it's the last bolt. At least it is in an area that you can get at it. Murphys Law. At least it can be fixed now. Have a good ride, and put on a few miles for me.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Postby waituntilthebeep » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:29 am

littlebeaver wrote: just when I started cussing it, bam it broke loose....

That is usually my answer to stuck stuff. I have found that a well timed cuss word is better than PBBlaster any day. I have even learned a few in other languages in case I am working on a foreign jobby. :twisted: The tools in my boxes are not the only ones I rely on.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:29 pm

I feel your pain! Just yesterday, in fact. Riding mower that I'm donating to a good cause, but I need to get it running well first. Right side "mandrel assembly" (the housing, with bearings, in the deck that drives the blade below) was seized up. Tried to remove it, and the first bolt I tried snapped off in the (aluminum) housing. Grrr! Second & third bolts as well. Ended up spending the entire day drilling, tapping, etc. Finally got it all working in the end, but...that feeling is SO disheartening!!

Glad you got it in the end!!

OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Postby OnPapasWing » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:25 pm

the other day while I was removing the rider floor boards and heel/toe shifter to put pegs back on I discovered the PO used bolts in place of the pins to hold the floor boards on. He just ran the bolts through and created his own threads. Pretty sure he never tapped them first. I swore I was going to shear the bolt off before it decided to budge. It finally came out with some persuasion but the threads on the bolt were pretty flattened out.
Used pins and cotter pins where I was supposed to. Way better with just the toe shifter. I don't mind floor boards if they are the right ones for the bike. These were not. And the H/T shifter was certainly homemade. I'm likely going to look at some Kuryakyn rider pegs though. I think they are a bit wider than the stock pegs I took from my Shadow Aero. BTW, the Shadow has floor boards now so I didn't need the pegs.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:39 pm

Sounds like the PO used a hacker method for creating threads, alright. Working on a British race car, back in the day, we found a tapped hole that didn't fit any thread known to mankind. We were running late, we had one bolt that was vaguely similar, we knew we'd never have to remove our bolt again once it was in there, so we pounded it halfway in with a hammer & turned it in the rest of the way with a huge wrench. The predecessor of red Locktite?

We called the resultiing bolt a "left-hand, semi-metric, tapered modified Whitworth".

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:31 pm

Good to see it worked out for you.
A MIG Welder comes in real handy in a case like that.Even if it's broken off flush or below you can build it up and the weld a nut onto it.Usually the heat of the welding and cooling will help loosen it as well.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:48 pm

Takes more time to collect items for repair than it does to make repair.

My wife's step dad has a newer model Trooper up on ramps for a year now. Bad alternator that would not come off. He thought since it was metric bolts they would be left handed threads. He stripped all three bolts and they were locked in the block. I used a crowbar to remove bolts then retap for larger bolts. Left the bolts in the new holes so he could find them. Took 4 days to get the courage to tell me the starter would not bolt on. Had to drill out mount holes on starter. Now it's fixed and he still can't drive it until he gets a 3 day temporary plate so he can get it inspected. It just don't get no better than this.

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:01 pm

AMAZING what you take pictures of........
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:37 pm

After being an Industrial Maintenance tech for over 25 years I KNOW the feeling and I feel your pain!! :evil: Just a couple weeks ago I was adding the wiring receptacle to the trailer hitch and on the second hole I snapped the 1/4-20 tap!! It took awhile but I got it out and finished tapping the hole, all the while telling myself NOT to snap the second one!! The good part is the wife said "at least you know how to do that stuff" and she's right, I do all my own repairs etc. I can't think of how it must be to get someone else to do it for you! I guess that's what makes who we are! :mrgreen:
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:11 pm

Tandem, been there. Back when I was stationed in Thailand I was working on an M151 jeep with a leaking exhaust manifold, gasket was blown out. Put the wrench on the first bolt, snapped off, drilled it out, then broke the tap, the Sargent was so mad he made me work through lunch. I took a center punch and broke out the rest of the tap, got a good one, and had it almost done by the end of lunch. Take away MY lunch will you!
Proud member Patriot Guard

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:55 pm

Had that happen last winter when putting things back together. It sucks, but you are on the right path to two wheels again!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”