It's "wing thing"... you wouldn't understand...

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Willbewatching
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

It's "wing thing"... you wouldn't understand...

Postby Willbewatching » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:30 am

A week or so back I had pretty extensive shoulder surgery on my right shoulder.. Then.. the weather turns out JUST absolutely beautiful here in Northern Ca... I HAD to go out into the garage and walk around the "wing".. then of course since I had placed it on the center stand.. even with my shoulder sling and bum shoulder... I could mount her.. <grinz> Unfortunately.. I had the garage door standing open.. my dang nosey neighbor comes over.. says.."Whatcha doing"? Being so very quick of wit.. I said.. "nuffin"! He looked at me and asked? "But what was that noise you were making"?? Ummm..?
I know he was just being a concerned neighbor, with me being single and recovering from surgery.. Maybe he thought I took one or two of those really strong pain meds.. <laughing>
Then he gets a little TOO personal... and says "What happened to your cute girlfriend I saw over here all the time?" I KNEW he wouldn't understand why she kinda left in a huff when I asked her to sit on the back with me...

Now I gotta look for a new "Fender Fox" that fits and matches my "wing" too.. tsk tsk!
Folks just don't understand... What a "wing rider" has to go through..

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Re: It's "wing thing"... you wouldn't understand...

Postby seelyark1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:01 pm

I think my wife was about ready to ride with me, then I had the accident. Now it's like starting over from page one. Of course she kinda thinks I'm crazy anyhow, but what should she expect after 45 years. My Grand daughters once said " Grampa is kinda crazy, but I love him anyway". I still like riding anyway. :twisted:
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

Willbewatching

Postby Willbewatching » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:54 pm

I hear what you're saying.. Not long ago I met a really nice young lady.. She was all about riding the back seat.. lol and .. something about an LTR..? then her family got to telling her about how riding a MC was nothing but a suicide method. So she said "no" I'm not going to ride.. but, I'll be here when you come back ! I don't think I can actually post what I said to that.. but, needless to say she took away the most important thing we MIGHT have had in common.. lol

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:04 am

Such hard luck you poor guys!

Way back in the mid 1960's I took a lovely young lady for a ride on my tiny Honda 50 Cub. She hung on tight and we rode quite a while. She has been with me ever since, rides her own VTX now and has travelled around a good portion of the USA and several provinces with me. We really enjoyed the Cabot Trail in NovaScotia last summer.

I found and have a keeper, and the Wing is not too bad either!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:12 am

Had a bad wreck 2 months ago in the snow. Come home and temps in 70 and 80 for days. All I can do is sit on bike with garage doors up and crack the throttle a few times. After 7 weeks the doctor said I could drive again so my wife sent me to our other location to collect a few items. She had completely forgot about the Vstar being stored there or she would have gone herself. Vstar is all bottom weight and easy to hold up so I wrapped the ribs and went for a ride through the neighborhood. Not a care in the world and 3 hours later she calls and does not get an answer. Needless to say, I met her 2 miles away, at 83 degrees what's a guy to do. Yeah, she's still mad.

Willbewatching

Postby Willbewatching » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:37 am

Yup.. I know there are some wonderful Fender Foxes out there and a lot of you guys have"snared" your own keepers. Me at the young age of only 65.. is still searching.. lol So when I happen to meet a potential "keeper" I always ask a few really serious questions..

(1) Do you ride? becuase if she doesn't.. lol I'm STILL looking and would only wave as I cruised by..

(2) Onna long road trip if you had to go really bad.. would you make me find a rest area or would any ole bush do? DUH ! lolo

(3)If she wants a guy that is a gentleman.. willing to open car doors and such.. I'm in.. ( except I don't own a car..) lol and I' the type who is MORE than willing to take out the trash.. help with the house chores.. AS LONG as she is willing to wait til I get back from a sunny day ride.. or finsih washing and waxing the..

Okaaay.. now I can see why my backseat is still empty! lolol

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:22 am

Willbewatching wrote:Yup.. I know there are some wonderful Fender Foxes out there and a lot of you guys have"snared" your own keepers. Me at the young age of only 65.. is still searching.. lol So when I happen to meet a potential "keeper" I always ask a few really serious questions..

(1) Do you ride? because if she doesn't.. lol I'm STILL looking and would only wave as I cruised by..

(2) On a long road trip if you had to go really bad.. would you make me find a rest area or would any ole bush do? DUH ! lolo

(3)If she wants a guy that is a gentleman.. willing to open car doors and such.. I'm in.. ( except I don't own a car..) lol and I'm the type who is MORE than willing to take out the trash.. help with the house chores.. AS LONG as she is willing to wait till I get back from a sunny day ride.. or finish washing and waxing the..

Okaaay.. now I can see why my backseat is still empty! lolol

None of those should be a deal breaker... If a woman cannot compromise, even a bit, then you do not wish to have her permanently anyway. My wife may come out and ask me to do something, but she is more than willing to wait till I finish whatever I might be doing with any of my motorcycles first. I had a major accident about twenty five years ago, far from home, and she had to bring my truck and collect me and the remains of the bike. I offered, at that time, to cease riding and sell the bikes. Her reply? "You would not be you without the bikes, and that is the you I married. I would never ask you to stop riding or to get rid of the bikes..." That is a keeper. If you find one like that, do not let her get away.

AND--- if I asked her to get on the back seat and play Vroom Vroom with me in the middle of the winter for my mental health, she would.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:15 am

My wonderful Mrs. Wingadmin had been LOOKING for a guy who was into motorcycles. Once she found out that I had one, it all but sealed the deal for her. Of course, she didn't know at the time that I was riding a GSX-R750 with a solo seat. :) She dealt with that quickly, and we soon had a GL1100, which we rode all over the place.

She had always wanted to ride herself, so a few years later she convinced me to teach her, we bought her a little Virago 250 (which is now for sale!) and she became quite a competent rider. Which means...I lost my passenger.

However I installed a CB on her PC800 last year, so we can at least talk to one another like we used to over the intercom.

dwitgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade CSC sidecar, 1969 CB350, 1977 Suzuki GS750, Honda Odyssey Fl250 (now a 440)

Postby dwitgoldwing » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:09 pm

I really enjoy reading all the accounts of my fellow Wing riders and how they met their coriders, (and how they enjoy riding with them).
Four years ago, I was blessed with meeting a wonderful young lady, (10 years younger than me), who just makes each day F-U-N!!!! When I asked her to ride the bike with me, she said she used to ride dirtbikes when she was a teen, so I thought I had a real find here... Our first ride on my Trusty Pearl HotRod Yellow GL1200 was a bit tense, (for about 1/4 of a mile), and then she settled in and has enjoyed the ride ever since. 2 years ago, I traded 2) Gl1200s and a 250 Ninja on my current pride, (I mean ride :), a 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with 36,000 miles. We were sad to see the Yellow 1200 go, because that is the bike that I asked her to marry me on. But now, we have SO much more fun on the 1500, (complete with CSC Friendship III sidecar), that we don't look back, anymore.
She is always asking me, when are we going for a ride...(gosh, I love my Sweet Girl). :D
I am changing tires over to Darkside, right now, along with a bunch of maintenance and stuff,
but hopefully by next week, we will be back on the road.
Let me say one thing in closing... There is definitely a better life, after divorce. After my divorce, in 2007, I didn't think the sun would ever shine again. After 19 years with someone who gets you, it is tough to start over again. But looking back, I realized, my ex-wife just didn't want to do a lot of stuff with me anymore, (1 SUPER-SLOW ride and she was petrified the WHOLE, time), and it was best to just let her go on her way. We're still good friends, she just wanted to be single.

Now..., my fiance and I have great banter, we love to talk in our headsets for hours, we love riding ANYWHERE, we love movies, we love SO many things, together. Yay, US!!

p.s. We just had our first Arthur Murray dance lesson, Friday night, (her Christmas present to me :).
We had SUCH a BLAST!!! Guys, let me encourage you to get your lady and take some classes.
We are hooked!!!
Best wishes, to all my Goldwing Brothers and Sisters!!!
Don W., Winchester, KY

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:34 pm

A good woman is something to hold on to. While dating I had 3 motocross race bikes and a hotrod Yamaha, 0 to 100 in 8.5 seconds at drag strip. After leaving from meeting her mother for the first time I got a ticket for 100+ in a 25mph zone, had to pee really dad. Her mom said he's a good boy with an education and good job, but a week later got a prearranged speeding ticket for 135 in a 55 mph zone. Then a month later hit a tree at 60 mph racing a dirt bike, broke 28 bones and 601 stitches. Again mom said keep him, he's too interested in speed to cheat like your dad was. Last December it was our 38th anniversary. Both bikes are setup to her best riding position, but I ride 100 or more miles to every 1 she rides. As a Realestate Broker she can get a much better view from the bike while looking for property. Might even ride out to eat, but say 100 miles down the road and she will say Have Fun. We also own a Flower Shop so her only demand is that I come help when she is in a bind. Paint, sheetrock, carpet or just deliver flowers keeps her happy.

Sold my 86 Alfa Spider last summer, she never rode in it. It was clocked at 155 in the straights at VIR. Got a 94 Honda Del Sol with 221k that she ain't never rode. Wont ride in anything where her legs are straight out.

dwitgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade CSC sidecar, 1969 CB350, 1977 Suzuki GS750, Honda Odyssey Fl250 (now a 440)

Postby dwitgoldwing » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:44 pm

That's wonderful to have someone stick around like that
through thick and thin.
Seems like life is just sweeter each day.

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:27 pm

My wife doesn't ride....

However, she's a keeper. When I drag a new piece of junk home, she usually says, "I don't care what you do with it as long as you build something cool".... Yes, my craftsman garden lawn tractor/ zombie apocalypse vehicle has a stack on it.

My wing had a major break down, on the trip home (lost a timing belt on the right bank), and ended up at my buddies tow yard, where we changed a head on it. She only saw pictures for months... but she says it's a cool bike and she is happy that I'm riding it and enjoying it. That's a keeper even if she won't hop on the back.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”