Air filter change and saddle bag lights

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
nitefuzz
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

Air filter change and saddle bag lights

Postby nitefuzz » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:30 am

Changed the air filter yesterday on my 98 SE and by following the "How To" article made the job easy. When I removed the filter cover I found a huge mouse nest on top of the filter. Not sure how the wing was even able to run, couldn't have been much air-flow through it. Now I am wondering if this would have damaged anything else by this plugged up mess. I also took the advise from the article and covered the inlet with galvanized wire mesh, that should keep any future squatters from getting in there and setting up camp. All the wiring looked good and everything seems to work as normal. I have noticed that it smells like it was running rich but guess that could have been due to the plugged up air supply. It was an old nest prior to me owning this Wing, what else do I need to be concerned about from the Wing developing any problem from this or am I thinking to much on this. I am expecting the miles per gal. to increase with the new filter and all cleaned up. Any comments would be appreciated on this.

Also I am going to be installing side saddle bag lights to replace the reflectors, is there a simple connector for this that just plugs in with the tail lights or do I have to cut into the wires and splice them in.

Nitfuzz

OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Re: Air filter change and saddle bag lights

Postby OnPapasWing » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:03 am

I've heard of similar stories. Them little buggers can get in anywhere and really make a mess of things.
Unrelated, sort of, but I once had a home with a cherry tree in the front yard. One day I was having problems with an outlet in the garage. I took the cover plate off of the outlet and found the box was full of cherry seeds. Apparently the little mice were enjoying the fruits of my labor and then storing the seeds for later.

I'm sure this will have an impact on your mileage. Hopefully for the better. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:29 am

You're over thinking the mouse nest thing. As long as you cleaned it out and replaced the air cleaner element and all your electrical works as it should, no harm.

Not uncommon for rodents to find their way up into the housing and make themselves comfortable. :roll:

Yes, you'll have to splice into existing wiring in your lower rear saddlebag covers.

Your new saddlebag light kit should come with complete instructions

nitefuzz
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

Postby nitefuzz » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:16 pm

Ok, thanks guys. I haven't any "o" articles on this accept the one on changing to LED strip. Was looking for one that showed how to get into the proper area on the Wing to tap into the wiring, the picture you posted points me in the right direction, thanks Dusty Boots.

I just hate cutting into existing wiring, electrical stuff just isn't my thing, but am going to try and see if I can get-er-done.

Nitefuzz

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:16 pm

Dusty Boots wrote:Not uncommon for rodents to find their way up into the housing and make themselves comfortable. :roll:

There has to be a better way to roast those.

Did you suspect something was amiss or just discover that doing routine maintenance?
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:52 pm

Fiberthree wrote:
There has to be a better way to roast those.

Did you suspect something was amiss or just discover that doing routine maintenance?

I didn't ride the bike for a period of 2 weeks during a cold spell in early Nov. I then rode it for a couple of weeks before putting it away for the winter in my storage room and everything was running fine.

I made the 'discovery' in late winter/early spring doing my routine maintenance. After that, I fastened some hardware cloth over the opening to the snorkel opening

nitefuzz

Postby nitefuzz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:31 pm

Yep, was dong some regular maintenance and thought I would change the air filter since the bike was new to me and I have no knowledge of any maintenance history on the Wing,............ I do put the galvanized hardware mesh wire over the air-intake after cleaning up the mouse nest.

Got my saddlebag lights all installed a couple days ago and works great, followed the instructions and all went good. Just don't like cutting into existing wiring, much prefer to have plug in wiring but that wasn't available for this install.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”