Going Darkside

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Going Darkside

Postby seabeechief » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:32 am

OK, guys. I pulled the trigger on a Michelin Primacy Alpine and a Bridgestone Battleax BT45. Will have them installed on May 6th. If this works, we are going to be famous. If not, we will back up and revisit the conventional arena. Ride safe!

Chief

Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: Going Darkside

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:23 pm

Good for you!
I've had a spare rim with a CT already mounted since last fall.Haven't had a chance to mount it on the bike yet.Been too busy doing other stuff to it.Hopefully next weekend.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:24 pm

You'll find those darkside tires up front will start cupping early .... especially the Battleax, (which doesn't grip near as well as the Michelin Pilot Activ) causing stability issues at higher speeds!! :roll:

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:59 pm

Dusty, define "higher" speeds. I rarely go above 70-75.

Chief
Darkside #1609

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:16 pm

75 mph will get you into that realm of stability issues ... but that is around the 15,000 mi mark. (I normally get 27 - 30,000 mi on a Bias E3 up front)
If you run the 'Ax', keep it aired up to at least 41 PSI. Cupping will show up around 7 - 9 K mark and is pronounced by the time you get to 15k, although there will be plenty of tread left in the centre portion of the tire. I got just over 22 k on it before I yanked it off.
I found the Ax to follow tar snakes, grooves, was bad on grated bridges and was not a confidence inspiring tire at all, especially on wet roads. :shock:
'Buzzes' around the 30 mph mark.
Me? .... I'd never run another one again. :roll:

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:37 pm

Wow, Dusty. That is the first really bad review I have read regarding the Battleax. I will certainly keep an eye on it. And I must say I NEVER got that kind of miles out of an E3. I've had my first Wing about 2-1/2 years now, approx. 30k miles and I'm riding on my 4th front tire already. I ride mostly solo, but occasionally Babycakes will make a run with me, and we make long vacation, +- 5k miles every summer. Thanks for the appraisal on the Battleax. I'm kind of looking forward to trying the "darkside". Just another learning experience. Ride safe!

Chief
Darkside #1609

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:56 pm

The trikers like the ax, but then again, their front tire doesn't track like a 2 wheeler in the corners.

The problem with darksiding on the front is that the tires that fit are almost exclusively dual compound tires and early cupping is an inherent trait of dual compound tires. :(

Like I said earlier ... keep your front tires inflated in the 41 - 43 PSI range. You'll get longer life and crisper handling. ;)

Here's one of my front E3s with 23,340 mi on it. ....

Last edited by Dusty Boots on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:01 pm

I know that you are going to enjoy the Primacy Alpine on the rear, but don't know about your pick for the front. The primacy is what my son uses on his 1800 and he loves it. That is what made me go to a CT on my 1500 and it worked real well up till I had my accident. Will hate it if they total it and I lose my new tires too! I still have a new Primacy downstairs if someone in mid or north Fl is looking for one. Son is military and off to the other coast and here I sit with the tire for it. I will have another CT on my next ride one way or the other.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:22 pm

seelyark1 wrote:I know that you are going to enjoy the Primacy Alpine on the rear, but don't know about your pick for the front. The primacy is what my son uses on his 1800 and he loves it. That is what made me go to a CT on my 1500 and it worked real well up till I had my accident. Will hate it if they total it and I lose my new tires too! I still have a new Primacy downstairs if someone in mid or north Fl is looking for one. Son is military and off to the other coast and here I sit with the tire for it. I will have another CT on my next ride one way or the other.

Sorry to hear of your accident, seelyark1. I hope you are healing well and quickly. And be sure and thank your son for his service for me. I hope he stays strong and safe. The tires and been purchased, one online and one from a local Discount Tire store. Both are in various stages of delivery. The choice has been made and I will give the tires as fair and objective trial as I know how. It's not like I'm going in blind as I have read and researched for at least two years on the various forums for Goldwings. Man, let me tell you, there is a wealth of knowledge and information out there. I'll be posting my impressions periodically and let y'all know my likes and dislikes about this adventure. I thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. Ride safe.

Chief
Darkside #1609

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:26 pm

I'm sorry some are not getting any mileage from their rear BT45 on the front. In North Carolina GL1800 and GL1500 are getting 30k. Only difference noted is when used without reversing the directional arrow, mileage about 6k less.

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:34 pm

robb wrote:I'm sorry some are not getting any mileage from their rear BT45 on the front. In North Carolina GL1800 and GL1500 are getting 30k. Only difference noted is when used without reversing the directional arrow, mileage about 6k less.

Have you experienced the "cupping" that Dusty Boot's was referring to?

Chief
Darkside #1609

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:48 pm

BT45's are OK so far. We all run beads in our wheels and I suspect that road compound may be a big contributor to the wear. NC blacktop is good for riding.
Did with E3's, and within 3k it's shot.

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:54 pm

I had it reversed! :x

I'll stick with my E3s thank you. Far better handling tire, with better mileage. :)

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:08 pm

You'll get as many differing opinions on front tires as there are riders! When I went dark, I went with a radial front tire on my 1500. I used a Bridgestone Excedra Max Radial and got close to 20k on it with NO cupping(running balancing beads).I ran it higher on pressure than most(46-48) which helped wear it out faster, but for a bit over$100, it stuck like glue and wore like iron. I liked it so much I just bought another. I still have a ways to go before hitting the wear bars, but why push it?

mtn_boy1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Postby mtn_boy1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:32 pm

Hey Chief,
I'm running the Austone on the back and the Battleax on the front. (not reversed and with dyna beads) I have yet to find any thing wrong. My 95 tracks straight and true. Like you, I normally run in the 70 - 75 range on the interstate. I have drug the footpegs in turns. But, in wet weather, that's where I'm REALLY impressed! Like others have said, there will be as many opinions on tires as there are riders. I heard good and bad about both the Austone and the 'Ax'. I decided I just had to try them and make my own decision. So far, I'm glad I did. Good luck and ride safe.

By the way, with the MC tires that were on it before, 45 was the best I could do with my PGR flags unfurled, now, I can run 70 without being thrown all over the road.
'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:52 pm

mtn_boy1 wrote:Hey Chief,
I'm running the Austone on the back and the Battleax on the front. (not reversed and with dyna beads) I have yet to find any thing wrong. My 95 tracks straight and true. Like you, I normally run in the 70 - 75 range on the interstate. I have drug the footpegs in turns. But, in wet weather, that's where I'm REALLY impressed! Like others have said, there will be as many opinions on tires as there are riders. I heard good and bad about both the Austone and the 'Ax'. I decided I just had to try them and make my own decision. So far, I'm glad I did. Good luck and ride safe.

By the way, with the MC tires that were on it before, 45 was the best I could do with my PGR flags unfurled, now, I can run 70 without being thrown all over the road.

After 45, just the noise will make you slow down. Not to mention shortening the life span of the flag. They don't seem to like the high speed processions. Ride Safe!

Chief
Darkside #1609

mtn_boy1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Postby mtn_boy1 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:29 am

After 45, just the noise will make you slow down. Not to mention shortening the life span of the flag. They don't seem to like the high speed processions. Ride Safe!

Chief

I understand. I don't do 70 with the flags unfurled tho. I was speaking to the solid feel of the car tire. I did a test run after I went DDS, trying to see how it felt at higher speeds. Be safe my friend!
'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

ranger 3
Motorcycle: 2003 Honda

Postby ranger 3 » Thu May 01, 2014 7:56 am

I put a Super Brace on my trike, it is suppose to help cupping.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”