WIng ding

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
rescue1042
Motorcycle: 1982 honda goldwing interstate
1998 honda 1500 SE
2002 honda Gl1800

WIng ding

Postby rescue1042 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:49 am

Ok so me and the missy are thinking about going to Wing Ding this year in Madison Wisc. Just wondering what everyone that has gone thinks about it? I only have so many days for trips and already have a few in mind My question is is the trip to it fun and worth the time??

2002 GL1800
I dont always ride!
But when i do it's on a Goldwing!!

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: WIng ding

Postby cbx4evr » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:38 am

Haven't been myself but if the opportunity came along I would probably go just to experience it and say I've been. Until they move it further west I won't be going. It's one of those things that some people love and others hate. I'll probably be the latter. I don't particularly like crowds and it sounds like a huge trade show.

Last year I went to a GWRRA rally in Pendleton, OR. I had read things about it being a great time. We weren't impressed and have decided that the Rally thing really isn't for us. Wing Ding has yet to be experienced.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:59 am

A lot of folks will be going so I would suggest you get reservations now for where you want to stay. I would expect that the host motel is full by now.

You will see a lot of Wings, and expect to do some walking at the vendor show and the registration area, by the way if you are going I urge you to do advance preregistration if it is still possible as this is cheaper.

Riding in Wisconsin is quite good once you get away from the city itself. There is a lot to see in that area and they should have some self guided tours that will take you to some of the tourist attractions.

Wing Ding can be a fun event or other, depending on what you want and expect. There really is a lot to do, classes and seminars to attend(again, you must be preregistered for most of this) and tours, and the vendor show. Somewhere they will also be demo rides and of course outside vendor stuff such as trailers and so forth. You do sort of have to find your own way as folks tend to stick with their groups, chapters and cliques so if you are by yourself or just you and your wife, you can still have fun and may even being made part of a group.

I have been to 4 different Wing Dings including one in Madison---it was one of the best locations.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

lhelber
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:39 pm

Wing Dings can be a lot of fun. It does depend on what you want. If you want to see a lot of different Wings so you can get ideas about what you want to do to your Wing certainly you should go. If you want to see a lot of items that are aimed specifically for your Gold Wing this is a great place to go. If you want to go and meet a lot of like minded riders and spend some time together with motorcycle related activities, it is worth going. I have found that most Gold Wing riders are very friendly and like meeting new people. They do have a tendency to hang out together, but are always open to letting someone new join the group. They hold some riding courses that are always worth taking, if you can get in them. they have limited availability. If you have a chapter near you chances are they will offer those courses once a year too.

What I don't do is go for the rides. Chances are you will be happier and enjoy riding by yourself or in smaller groups. Large group riding is a compromise at best. They may be worth going on if the destination is interesting to you but remember you are going to have a large number of people showing up at the same time.

I have gone to several Wing Dings and I enjoy going. I used to lie in Madison so I am excited about the possibility of going back. Work and other destinations are going to take precedence so I am not sure if I am going yet. It is something you should do at least once just to see it. then decide for yourself.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:04 pm

I agree with some previous statements. The only way to discover your own likes or dislikes in relation to Wing Ding is to attend one. It is the only place I found a decent pair of Non Harley riding boots, suitable for the Goldwing. There were many styles and sizes so that I could find what fit me. The vendors are absolutely superior in number and in variety. The Ding I was at, had a Honda dealership offering tires and on site installation at greatly reduced prices, there were several seat vendors, and if a person was to want some custom paint or even customized replacement dash plastic, it was available. If this is your thing, be prepared to spend great quantities of cash to make it all happen for you. If you just want to see what it is all about, you can do that also, as there will be lots to see and do. I saw, I did, and I spent abundantly - I also do not feel any need to attend another Wing Ding until and unless I need to go through all of the above again. Now that I know what kind of boots work for me, I can get them online, and now that I have the seat I want, I will not need another. There is just so much show riding and bike showing that one can watch, so that is a wash now. What was mentioned about cliques is true also. There was a group of people from the chapter I had just joined a couple months before, and I was not invited to hang out with them, which turned out okay in the long run as I still don't, and my Wing Ding experience was two years ago. :lol: The whole experience is what you make of it. The only complaint I had with the Wing Ding that I attended was the food made available at the venue location. It was really poorly prepared, poorly presented, and was not a favorable dining experience in any way. I ate all but one of my meals elsewhere. I must admit that I am not too fond of cafeteria style dining anyway, and this was the worst of the worst of cafeteria style food. All in all though, I give a positive recommendation for at least one Wing Ding attendance.

Some things of note. If you are too late to book at any of the close hotels/motels/campgrounds, be prepared to ride a considerable distance to and from the venue. Parking at the venue will be at a premium so go early. If you park in an outlying parking area arranged by Wing Ding and bus to the venue, be prepared for long waits at both ends. One long day with the vendors will be all you or anyone else would need, or you could do it in two shorter days. Other than that - enjoy.

Please keep in mind that this was my experience. Yours may or may not be far different and more or less enjoyable. I do not regret having gone, but my only prior experience has always been parties with the Harley crowd, and a Harley party, Wing Ding was not. At my age, it was time to slow down and it was definitely a slower pace rally.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

rono24
Motorcycle: 1992 gl1500SE

Postby rono24 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:30 am

I went a couple of years ago,was not impressed, nothing like the honda hoot was. Most things there seem to be over priced,did not seem to be tailored toward the every day rider,was more like for the rich and famous,I did not get a good feeling. The honda hoot was much better and needs to return.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:44 am

rono24 wrote:I went a couple of years ago,was not impressed, nothing like the honda hoot was. Most things there seem to be over priced,did not seem to be tailored toward the every day rider,was more like for the rich and famous,I did not get a good feeling. The honda hoot was much better and needs to return.

I think we have to realize that the sponsor of these two events Wing Ding and the old Hoot were two completely separate groups. The Honda Hoot was put on by a group that was sponsored by Honda and it demographic covered Honda motorcycles, whereas the Wing Ding is sponsored by the Gold Wing Road Riders Assoc., which is not a Honda owned club and Wing Ding is set up for primarily Wing owners. It is not also aimed at the VFR rider or the rider on a Shadow like the Hoot was.

And, Yes, I do wish Honda would bring back the Hoot and that Rider Magazine would bring back its Rider Rallies!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri May 02, 2014 7:32 pm

I have been to one WD, and had enrolled for a rider course. As there are not enough fuel stops between here and there, I decided to fly and get a rental car. They did offer my fee back after I pointed out that there was no caveat to enrolling that you had to have your own trike, but it did say you had to have ankle high boots! :!:

I was not the furthest traveller to the wd, but was close. Some of it was excellent, some of it was mediocre. I enjoyed walking around the parking area looking at the different configurations of some of the GW. The vendors can be helpful, and some are rushed off their feet, so have little time to discuss the features of their products. I saw a couple of items, like saddles, where they measure you, and can adjust their mockups to suit so that you can get an idea of whether you like it or not (for any chair/seat, you should sit on it for at least 20 minutes).

The demo teams I enjoyed, also the handling competitions - it is something I can only aspire to achieve.

Like others have mentioned, there is something that you need to make up your own mind about. I did not go for any rides, but there was plenty to keep my wife and I busy for the time of the event. It is something to consider.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”