could it be done?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
praitorianlord11
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 aspencade

could it be done?

Postby praitorianlord11 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:52 pm

crazy question time: i came across a pic that someone had posted on, saying the goldwing in view was a subaru engine shoe-horned into a harley frame. my question; anyone ever think of shoehorning a subaru motor into a wing frame? before scoffing, my points as thus: subaru engine is a boxer four banger, only a little bigger, auto and manual trans, rear end is F.I.S. (full independent suspension), leaving the option of either a two-wheel or trike rear end. the only issue i can think of is getting the driveline to line up for the offset if you don't run a trike rear end. lemme know :)

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: could it be done?

Postby SteveB123 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:20 pm

praitorianlord11 wrote:crazy question time: i came across a pic that someone had posted on, saying the goldwing in view was a subaru engine shoe-horned into a harley frame. my question; anyone ever think of shoehorning a subaru motor into a wing frame? before scoffing, my points as thus: subaru engine is a boxer four banger, only a little bigger

I'll bite: How much bigger, in each dimension, including trans?
Weight difference?
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

praitorianlord11

Postby praitorianlord11 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:11 pm

just throwing it out there. when i worked on them in a dealership, they don't look much bigger than the stock engine on the wings, and if you get the right motor, it's turbocharged stock

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:09 pm

Where are you going to fit the transmission? On the wing, the transmission is UNDER the engine. On the Subaru, it's BEHIND.

praitorianlord11

Postby praitorianlord11 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:22 am

just to let everyone know, i'm only trying to suggest a "what if" with this concept. you see me in the movies all the time (not personally) i'm that guy that starts with "hey, what about this?" and completely screws with everybody by throwing the thought out there. onward to the question; this sounds like it would be a performance trike/ground up custom build that would start with a wing frame and that would be the end of it. the transmission would have to maintain stock position to the motor to keep putting power out to the rear end, which requires the machine to be in the trike configuration, (cv shafts are compromised at the angles required to meet the shaft in the arm; think spiral) the gas tank would either be in the "traditional" location or under the passenger riders area, and at this point in my head, it's not doing anything constructive with a motorcycle, just re-working a car into a bike.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”