What to look for in Chaps

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
traversewife
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 interstate

What to look for in Chaps

Postby traversewife » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:34 am

Going to pick up a set of Chaps should they be long,short loose or tight, zippers or hap's, any thoughts?

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Re: What to look for in Chaps

Postby Sidcar » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:02 pm

Over here a chap is another name for a man. Thought I'd mention it in case you come shopping for "Chaps" in the UK.

Sid :D

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:15 pm

Chaps in the US are Cowboy Armor.

Depends on driving style, legs out on highway pegs and longer chaps are nice. Chaps only get tight when we get fat, then it's larger chaps; unless you like cracking walnuts. Zippers are nice and make getting off and on easy. Both my pairs have zippers and snaps, might get hot on ride and can partially unzip and the snaps keep them securely in place.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:59 pm

Most important requirement for chaps is that they be made out of a decent quality leather, or they are a waste of money. Split grain leather most times is no more protection than a solidly made pair of blue jeans, and that is almost none at all. If you get to test your chaps in a real life situation, you would be thankful if they had zippers as opposed to just snaps, as snaps may just pop open and leave you without them. A bit long is really nice if you bend your legs while riding, as when they ride up a bit, they are still long enough. They should not be tight. If you really prefer tight fitting, then a pair of good leather pants would probably be a better option. Hope this helps.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

traversewife

Postby traversewife » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:04 am

Thank you guys ,all good advice.
Happy and safe riding

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:31 am

On my set of chaps....
- They are a bit longer so that they do not ride up
- They can be resized, they are actually split in the back at the belt, and there is a resize strap there, so as I grow or shrink in waist size (more growing than shrinking sometimes) then I can change them.

I do not know about anyone else, I have only fallen once off the bike going 70 mph, wearing jeans/chaps, and the chaps helped a lot. I am sure I can wear the kevlar suits (I have a winter set) but it is easy just to take off the chaps and store them when I arrive at my destination instead of trying to undress. Chaps are not for everyone though, of course. We have a local motorcycle leather shop (Love's Leathers) in Vancouver, WA, they are great with their product, and do all the sizing, cutting, everything.

traversewife

Postby traversewife » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:29 pm

Thanks again for the advise, i have picked up a pair of xxL although L would probably fit snugly but i like the looseness of these.Guess i will find out after a few rides.
Len

Return to “Goldwing Chat”