A classic

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

A classic

Postby Dogsled » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:31 am

I see guys riding 84 and older Wings. Are older bikes likes this the same as cars and can get like 'Classic' license Plates, like cars?

"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: A classic

Postby SteveB123 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:28 am

Dogsled wrote:I see guys riding 84 and older Wings. Are older bikes likes this the same as cars and can get like 'Classic' license Plates, like cars?

Local licensing question.
World wide forum. :P
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:02 pm

I knew guys that had classic plates and took their cars from coast to coast on Rte 66 years back. Now that must cover anybody that rode a car across the USA.
Are you saying that I can't/shouldn't post a question because it didn't include laws in Canada??????? Or Japan ???????? Or Iraq????????

Break your post or issue down for me ???

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Dogsled wrote:I knew guys that had classic plates and took their cars from coast to coast on Rte 66 years back. Now that must cover anybody that rode a car across the USA.
Are you saying that I can't/shouldn't post a question because it didn't include laws in Canada??????? Or Japan ???????? Or Iraq????????

Break your post or issue down for me ???

I was under the impression US had vehicle registration by state, not federally. My mistake. Apologies.

It's called a YOM (Year of Manufacture) plate. Pretty spendy.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/yom.shtml
Last edited by SteveB123 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:10 pm

That was all I was wondering

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Postby Overdog » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:32 am

I think what SteveB meant was that individual states have different rules regarding "Classic" and "Antique" vehicle plates. In Pa. we can get Antique plates for motorcycles...they are a lifetime plate and never have to be renewed. Also, you no longer have to get the annual DMV inspection done. Insurance is usually cheaper too. There are restrictions on how many miles you can ride annually. Maybe someone from Ohio will chime in and let ya know the rules in your state.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:18 am

From the Ohio DMV on Historical License Plates for Historical Vehicles:

General Information
To qualify, motor vehicles must be at least 25 years old. They are solely collector's items and are used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, etc. They are NOT for general transportation.

Registrant Eligibility
These plates may be issued to any Ohio motorist. The vehicle must be 25 years of age or older. It is a collector's vehicle used in participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, but NOT for general transportation.

Title Requirements Ohio Certificate of Title issued in individual's name, either singly or jointly, or the name is the same name on the lease agreement.
Vehicle Information
These plates may be issued to any vehicle.

Type of Plates Stock, reserved, or personalized plates inscribed with the words Historical Vehicle Ohio (personalized plates may now contain up to six characters). Model Year Plates are also permitted.
Issuance Information Applicant must complete Form BMV 4806 (affidavit).
Cost
There is a one-time fee of $10.00. The fee is determined by Ohio Revised Code section 4503.181.

Fees

New Renewal

License Tax $21.00 $0.00
New Plate Charge* $7.50 $0.00
Deputy Fee $3.50 $3.50
Plate Reflectorization Fee $0.25 per plate $0.00
County Sticker(s) $0.25 $0.00

The $7.50 fee does not apply if it is the first time the vehicle is registered by the owner or if the vehicle has not been plated in the last 12 months.

No postage is required if renewed at Deputy Registrar.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:51 am

Thanks. I knew there were restrictions for the historical plates but I also remember the 'Classic' which had no restrictions but were alot cheaper. It was like 25 years old was classic and you could keep them even past the 30 which was historical if you wanted to continue to drive it. Classic was alot cheaper than regular. House Vehicle plates were 2.00 a year, we'd throw a bed and little sink in our vans and get away for 2 bucks in the 70's when van conversions were big. Alot of the 'classic' lost speed cause cars used to rust out in about 2 or 3 years. So there was a period in the 90's when there were few 20 year old cars. Main Vikings post stated 'motor vehicle, so I assume a bike is a motor vehicle and should be able to get the plates.
My friend had historical plates on an old car and the law never stopped him from driving (AKA, never pulled him over) it was his insurance that put all the restrictions on what he could do and his insurance was HIGH, of course nullifying anything you'd save on plate fees. He always said he could claim he was test driving it.
Also there was no mention of the 'Classic' in his DMV report so I assume the govt found out as cars and bikes were living longer and they were losing a penny, they whacked that out.
It just really amazes me how many of these older bike are not only still on the road, but look so good.....I was just wondering if the plate issue applied to them.
I never knew the plate requirements for State by State varied.
My BMV are all Indians and I can't understand what the heck they're saying when explaining even their hours being open....
Thanks for the interesting replies Al

WVJefo
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade "The 12"
1994 1500 Aspencade "The Black

Postby WVJefo » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:02 pm

Just an aside; IF a vehicle is over 25 years old you can easily import it into the US. Anything newer is really hard & ****.

WVJefo
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade "The 12"
1994 1500 Aspencade "The Black

Postby WVJefo » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:03 pm

Expensive not cheap why did it ****???

red dog
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100

Postby red dog » Thu May 01, 2014 8:59 am

In Florida a bike has to be 30 years old to get the antique plate. You have to pay for the new plate and registration each year is the same...you get no discounts. Of course here you don't need MC insurance either. I got my antique plate 2 years ago for my 1982 GL1100 and people ask me about it all the time.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Thu May 01, 2014 9:20 am

Seems to be antique plates, but, does anybody remember 'classic' plates?

Red Dog, Are there any riding restrictions with those plates in Florida......Paying full price, I can't see how there would be. NO INSURANCE??????? With people being sue happy today, it would seem to be an easy way to lose your house if you hit a pedestrian....Well I guess the government can't make a buck off of insurance so why make you have it....

Hey if you gotta buy new plates every year, send me an old one.......
I'd never have to buy plates again since it's a one time shot here. :lol:

red dog

Postby red dog » Thu May 01, 2014 9:51 am

You don't pay for or get a new plate every year. I pay $36 a year for a new tag for this bike each year. There are no restrictions. You don't need insurance but you do need $10,000 worth of medical insurance or something like that.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Thu May 01, 2014 10:04 am

yeah, that's all I carry is liability. You got to cover yourself if you own anything. Me, I don't own anything.....nothing. So I carry the minimum. Some guy at my rifle club asked me if I carry insurance to cover my conceal carry permit.....WTF?????? He said he does, his agent told him to cover himself and his property......I guess if he shoots somebody for trying to rob him, they can't sue......I wonder if George Zimmerman was covered?
Stupid, but people today sue over everything AND WIN.....

red dog

Postby red dog » Thu May 01, 2014 10:14 am

Again you don't need insurance on the bike but you do need medical insurance if you don't wear a helmet I believe. I also live in Sanford so I know about Zimmerman

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Thu May 01, 2014 10:22 am

Is Sanford where that happened ??? Is that a Town or County?

red dog

Postby red dog » Thu May 01, 2014 10:28 am

It's a town. I used to take my soft serve ice cream truck into that neighborhood while they were building it.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Thu May 01, 2014 10:35 am

Hey this is the TECH site, I'm gonna post in the GoldWing Chat site, I got a few Florida Questions. Nothing controversial, i'm just curious about some Florida laws.......I'll make the Subject; 'Zimmy' If you want to talk ok if not that's ok too.

sofaq2
Motorcycle: 1978 gl1000 ltd

Postby sofaq2 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:45 pm

I have a 78 gl1000. last year I titled mine as a antique. the only restrictions in Pa. is lighting has to be up-to date. is also states occasional use but they have no way of tracking mileage as there is no inspection. I ride mine back and forth everyday to work. don't regret it at all.

davefx
Motorcycle: 1980 gl1100

Postby davefx » Sat May 03, 2014 4:02 am

SteveB123 wrote:
Dogsled wrote:I see guys riding 84 and older Wings. Are older bikes likes this the same as cars and can get like 'Classic' license Plates, like cars?

Local licensing question.
World wide forum. :P

I ride a 1980 GL1100I. That's 34 years old you know. It qualifies for historic tags here in Arizona. As did my last and most loved bike, a 1974 FX. A Harley-Davidson. I looked into putting historic tags on both bikes. But here in the valley of the sun these tags run an extra $25.00 a year over the price of registration.
It would be cool to display the plate but I cant justify the extra expense.
The plate is the only spot on my bike that never gets washed. I avoid squirting it with the hose, just saying

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sat May 03, 2014 9:46 am

Dave, That's strange, what the heck could justify 25 bucks extra? Can you order them to say what you want?

red dog

Postby red dog » Sat May 03, 2014 10:27 am

I only had the expense of the plate...but I thought "Sweetie" deserved to wear it.

davefx

Postby davefx » Sat May 03, 2014 10:21 pm

Dogsled wrote:Dave, That's strange, what the heck could justify 25 bucks extra? Can you order them to say what you want?

I believe you can personalize the plate and that the $25 extra is just simply because they can.
Because they are the DMV
Example: When I got run over on my motorcycle, The bike was towed and considered totaled. By the time I got out of the hospital the towing and storage fees were more then the bike was worth to me so I let the tow company keep it.
Not long after I got a letter from DMV stating I owed them $50.00. The fine at that time for an abandoned vehicle. Hows that for insult to injury. lol
That was in 2005 not the fine is $500

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sun May 04, 2014 10:20 am

If you got run over, didn't the person who ran you over have insurance? I'm just sayin if your bike was totaled, it belonged to the insurance company at that point. That's how it worked on my friends car, the only thing they had to give him were personal items. In that case, if the bike didn't belong to you how could they charge you storage.....oh yeah, it's the government.... :lol:

davefx

Postby davefx » Sun May 04, 2014 2:04 pm

Dogsled wrote:If you got run over, didn't the person who ran you over have insurance? I'm just sayin if your bike was totaled, it belonged to the insurance company at that point. That's how it worked on my friends car, the only thing they had to give him were personal items. In that case, if the bike didn't belong to you how could they charge you storage.....oh yeah, it's the government.... :lol:

Exactly! The guy had insurance but that took some time. If one of my buddies would have went and pulled it out of storage the next day it would have been cheap. But that didnt happen
And the lawyer was i joke. I had to demand money for "loss of use, like he never heard of it. I got that and the payment for my bike two days before my settlement came through. It was a long month or two.
But its all over sort of . . .
I'm still paying for it, just sayin'
Nice talking to you.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”