suggestions on cleaning my rims

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

suggestions on cleaning my rims

Postby nitefuzz » Thu May 01, 2014 12:05 am

Ok, checking to see what hot tips are out there for cleaning the wheels (rims) on my GL1500. I have the front rim pretty clean. However, the rear is horrible; don't think the PO ever spent any time on it. I have the right side looking a lot better but the left side with the disk brake on it is horrible. I used WD-40 on it but there is so much black gunk on it that won't come off. I was thinking about using a brass brush in my drill to cut through it or at least break it up a little and then go back to the WD-40. My question is if it’s ok to use a brass brush on it from a drill, or will it damage the aluminum rim. Does anyone have some better ideas on how to get it clean without spending hours of elbow grease on it.

Motorcycle: gl1800

Re: suggestions on cleaning my rims

Postby Ghostman » Thu May 01, 2014 8:16 am
Heres what I use on mine. It doesnt take a ton of elbow grease and when your done it leaves a coating that repels water and makes it easier to clean the next time. Ive seen guys use sandpaper and everything else and when it comes to cleaning the wheels my motto is work smarter not harder.

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: suggestions on cleaning my rims

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 01, 2014 8:39 am

I've used this for ages: Honda spray cleaner ... olish/6719

It works great on everything - bodywork, windshield, wheels, whatever. Cuts through that black grime and loosens it right up. If you really can't get it off, try a Scotchbrite sponge. I wouldn't use brass - that will scratch up the aluminum rims.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”