Shipping a trike cross country

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
lmackenz
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 converted to Lehman trike

Shipping a trike cross country

Postby lmackenz » Fri May 02, 2014 12:34 pm

Has anyone shipped their bike cross-country before? Can anyone recommend a motorcycle shipping company? My husband and I own a 2005 GL1800 trike (Lehman kit.) We live in Bellingham, WA and want to visit friends in Virginia, ride with them and attend the GWRRA-VA rally in October this year. It's too long a journey for us to travel on the trike both ways (3300+ miles one way) and still have the time back there to enjoy riding in that area. We're considering a number of options including renting a U-Haul cargo truck and want to compare costs, effort, timing, etc. I've done some research online and beginning to get some quotes. JC Motors is one that stands out. We want our trike covered and well protected, of course. Appreciate any advice and tips anyone may have. Thanks. --Laura

chazglenn3
Motorcycle: 1983 V65 Magna
1985 GL1200 Limited

Re: Shipping a trike cross country

Postby chazglenn3 » Sat May 03, 2014 8:50 pm

Hi Laura;

I would suggest posting the shipment on www.uship.com and also checking with www.haulbikes.com.

Charles
Charles
1983 V65 Magna
1985 GL1200 LTD

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Sat May 03, 2014 9:36 pm

I would not recommend haulbikes check this link out.
https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Ah ... =yfp-t-746

chazglenn3
Motorcycle: 1983 V65 Magna
1985 GL1200 Limited

Postby chazglenn3 » Sat May 03, 2014 10:16 pm

I have used them and had no issues.
Charles
1983 V65 Magna
1985 GL1200 LTD

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon May 05, 2014 12:47 am

After reading the posted URL about HaulBikes, it would appear to me that there is no connection between Sales and Delivery. For an organisation to make money, they need to assemble their loads in their warehouse, and when they have an economical (aka full trailer) load they will then arrange for the trailer to be packed and sent on its way.

I have experienced this carrier and got the same strange delivery run-around, but not as bad as this one. It is strange that a company that has such good delivery drivers, depends on Sales staff that will tell you what they think you want to hear. It is not good enough for them to change the delivery dates at their whim, they have agreed to do a job (contract) and they should live up to their end of the agreement.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

lmackenz
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 converted to Lehman trike

Postby lmackenz » Mon May 05, 2014 1:04 pm

lmackenz wrote:Has anyone shipped their bike cross-country before? Can anyone recommend a motorcycle shipping company? My husband and I own a 2005 GL1800 trike (Lehman kit.) We live in Bellingham, WA and want to visit friends in Virginia, ride with them and attend the GWRRA-VA rally in October this year. It's too long a journey for us to travel on the trike both ways (3300+ miles one way) and still have the time back there to enjoy riding in that area. We're considering a number of options including renting a U-Haul cargo truck and want to compare costs, effort, timing, etc. I've done some research online and beginning to get some quotes. JC Motors is one that stands out. We want our trike covered and well protected, of course. Appreciate any advice and tips anyone may have. Thanks. --Laura

Thanks to those of you who've responded. So far, I've looked into the brokerage --uship.com -- and got 5 rough bids. Only two indicated enclosed transport with a focus on automobiles, not motorcycles. Have not yet contacted any of those shippers direct for further questioning and information. Haulbikes.com -- got an online quote; they seem to be the lowest in cost but in scanning the reviews, they have more bad reviews (scheduling delays and bikes in hiatus indefinitely) than good. Tried Motorcycleshippers.com aka JC Motors -- they said they don't have trike shipping service for 11 states on the West Coast because their carrier has a lift gate and a trike won't fit on it for loading. They referred me to Showroom Transport (trikeshipping.com) who I contacted for a quote. They have a good rating (A-) with BBB. One to explore further. And, I contacted Eagle One Express that specializes in motorcycles only. So, beginning to narrow the field of choices. Stay tuned. --Laura

Firea100
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda Valkyrie
1989 Honda goldwing trike

Postby Firea100 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:56 am

Two thumbs up on http://www.haulbikes.com
Used them, Very happy with service and price.
Larry in East China Mi.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”