Anyone Ever Used This Gear Lube?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
rodee71
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 Interstate
1993 1500 Aspencade

Anyone Ever Used This Gear Lube?

Postby rodee71 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:53 am

I was at the Honda dealer Saturday and got to talking to the head mech about the Moly 60 lube for the final drive. Wanted his opinion on the 60 and also wanted to make sure mine had been lubed when they put my new rear tire on a month ago. Of course, they had done a proper job, but he said that they didn't use Moly 60 anymore, they had been using something better for for quite a while: Bel-Ray. I looked it up here http://www.belray.com/. They sell a wide selection of MC oil and lubes. Anyone used this? I'm thinking it must be pretty good if the dealer prefers it over their Honda products. I'd be happy to hear from you if you have any experience with it. Ride Safe!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Anyone Ever Used This Gear Lube?

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 06, 2014 8:47 am

rodee71 wrote:I was at the Honda dealer Saturday and got to talking to the head mech about the Moly 60 lube for the final drive. Wanted his opinion on the 60 and also wanted to make sure mine had been lubed when they put my new rear tire on a month ago. Of course, they had done a proper job, but he said that they didn't use Moly 60 anymore, they had been using something better for for quite a while: Bel-Ray. I looked it up here http://www.belray.com/. They sell a wide selection of MC oil and lubes. Anyone used this? I'm thinking it must be pretty good if the dealer prefers it over their Honda products. I'd be happy to hear from you if you have any experience with it. Ride Safe!

The reason Honda specifies Moly 60 (which means it is 40% carrier grease, 60% Molybdenum Disulfide) is specifically because of the Moly content. In the spline application, there is very small movement between the splines, so no way to continually introduce lubrication - so what is placed on there during assembly is all it is going to see. Also, the areas are subject to heat and extreme rotational speed. The result is that the grease heats up, liquifies, and is flung out from centrifugal force.

If you use regular lubricating grease, you will quickly end up with no lubrication whatsoever, resulting in worn splines. That's the reason for the Moly: the Moly remains behind after the carrier grease is eliminated. Moly leaves a very slippery coating on the parts, lubricating them and preventing wear.

For this reason, cheap "Moly" lubricant grease that has a low Moly content (15% or 20%, sometimes less is common) will not properly lubricate your splines. You simply can't get enough of it in there to remain behind after the carrier is eliminated.

I had a look at the Bel-Ray site. They make a wide range of lubricants. The only one I could find with Molybdenum Disulfide is their "Assembly Lube:"

http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-assembly-lube

They don't state the percentage of Moly - stating only that it is a "high molybdenum disulfide content lubricant." Even the Product Datasheet doesn't specify. However, I did find it in the Material Safety Datasheet where it specifies the molybdenum disulfide content as "between 20% and 40%".

20% is definitely too low. 40% is right on the borderline. And being that the price of this lubricant is almost double the price of the equivalent amount of Honda 60 Moly, I'll stick with the Honda product for my bike.

A large number of bike shops use the Honda Moly on all their driveshaft bikes - Yamaha, BMW, whatever. There's a reason for that.

rodee71
1993 1500 Aspencade

Postby rodee71 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:13 am

I was hoping that you'd respond. The research behind your answer is second to none, as usual. I'll use Moly 60 when needed, despite the Head Mech's recommendations. And, I'd already bought 2 tubes anyway. It was the assembly lube that he showed me, which I forgot to mention. Thanks, and I'm glad you worked out the bugs in your 1500 and were able to ride. Be Safe!

rodee71
1993 1500 Aspencade

Postby rodee71 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:37 am

Wingman, after some more reading, I found a product called Krytox. At 448 degrees, there was zero weight loss. According to an article I just read "An alternative to moly is the new poly-flourinated lubricants made by DuPont called Krytox Teflon Bearing Grease. These chemicals are simply magic. They have almost no known solvents, are chemically inert, and don't burn at any temperature, even in a pure oxygen atmosphere. This is pretty clearly the only grease to use. Nascar mechanics have found that Krytox grease can reduce the temperature of spline joints on drive shafts by 150°. Also, this stuff lasts forever. It is, unfortunately, quite expensive."
This stuff looks like the real (although expensive) deal. I'll let you know if I find a good price on it, if you're interested.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Tue May 06, 2014 1:02 pm

rodee71 wrote:Wingman, after some more reading, I found a product called Krytox. At 448 degrees, there was zero weight loss. According to an article I just read "An alternative to moly is the new poly-flourinated lubricants made by DuPont called Krytox Teflon Bearing Grease. These chemicals are simply magic. They have almost no known solvents, are chemically inert, and don't burn at any temperature, even in a pure oxygen atmosphere. This is pretty clearly the only grease to use. Nascar mechanics have found that Krytox grease can reduce the temperature of spline joints on drive shafts by 150°. Also, this stuff lasts forever. It is, unfortunately, quite expensive."
This stuff looks like the real (although expensive) deal. I'll let you know if I find a good price on it, if you're interested.

Could you reference where you found that info please. I'd like to read it.

Just so happens I have a jar full of Krytox in my possession. Never used it on my splines nor thought too. I got this from work when the plant shut down. We used it in all our bearings, gear boxes, etc. because of the fire and explosion hazards we were dealing with producing an oxidizing chemical. The jar probably contains about a cup of grease and at the time was worth in the neighbourhood of $500 if I recall.

http://www2.dupont.com/Lubricants/en_US ... eases.html
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

rodee71
1993 1500 Aspencade

Postby rodee71 » Tue May 06, 2014 1:38 pm

I found the article here: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Shaft.html#Gears. I found the Krylox for sale here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-grease/=rum9vd. Be prepared, it is very expensive.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”