Looking to get an 85 GL1200 Aspencade. Advice?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
sgt.ogre
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade (looking to buy)

Looking to get an 85 GL1200 Aspencade. Advice?

Postby sgt.ogre » Fri May 09, 2014 6:16 pm

I am new to the forum, so hello all!

My neighbor has an 85 GL1200 Aspencade that has been sitting in his side yard for just over a year that he is willing to sell me for only $200. I have always wanted a larger bike, and this one fits the bill well. I already know that it is going to need a thorough cleaning, new fluids, tires, timing belt most likely, and rebuild all the carbs. Is there anything else i should watch out for? His buddy gave it to him apparently after it just died on the freeway. It has been parked ever since.

Any advice on recommended maintenance or why it would have died in the first place would be great. Thank you so much for the help!

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: Looking to get an 85 GL1200 Aspencade. Advice?

Postby HALBUDD » Sat May 10, 2014 12:54 pm

For 200. bucks thats good only thing I would wonder about is the stator,and the belts. If one of the belts broke then there is most likely damage to the motor. If you do get the bike you will need to go through the whole bike. If the motor is bad you could part her out and make some money off of her,but for 200. bucks you may find it to be well worth a little time and money to fix her up.The 1200s are pretty much indestructible as long as they are taken care of. Good Luck-------------Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

sgt.ogre
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade (looking to buy)

Postby sgt.ogre » Sat May 10, 2014 3:22 pm

Thanks for the reply. So, i did some more research online, and i have compiled a more complete list of the work it will most likely need. Here it goes:

Clean out gas tank and change fuel filter
Change engine oil and filter
Replace air filter
Replace battery
New seals in the forks most likely
Chack all fuses and replace as necesary
rewire stator or replace (involves removing engine)
Replace timing belts
Rebuild all 4 carbs
Replace all cooling lines and thermostat
replace tires (when everything else is done, the old ones still hold air for now)
Bleed and inspect brake system and replace parts where needed
Grease the appropriate parts (i have yet to look into all of that)

Does this seem comprehensive enough? i am planning on having to take out the engine so i figured that no matter what i would replace the timing belts and most liekly the stator. The original owner said it just died on him on the freeway and i read that the stator dying and the battery draining could cause that no problem. Is this assumption correct?

Are there any particular stators that are better than others? or just any new one will do? as well as the timing belts? What type of oil and other fluids should i use?

Sorry about all the questions i jsut want to be as prepared as possible when i get my hands on this thing in a week or two. Thanks in advance for all the help.

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Sat May 10, 2014 11:26 pm

first thing I would do is see if the motor is locked up or if it will turn. The stator will cause the bike to die if it is not charging the battery. I would suggest you look in to doing a poorboy conversion instead of replacing the stator as it will give you more power and will be a lot easier to fix if it does fail. That said check the motor first!! Your list looks pretty good for a start,also look in the reference info as you can get some of the parts you will need from local auto parts store.And of course the How to do,s will help alot you should be able to find alot of help here,just ask away.-----------------------Hal

A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”