Service Information Help

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
kmorgan77
Motorcycle: 1986 GoldWing Aspencade

Service Information Help

Postby kmorgan77 » Mon May 19, 2014 7:46 pm

First of all I haven't owned a motorcycle since the 70's and it was a small 500cc bike. So, I need advice. I just bought a 1986 GL1200 Aspencade from the original owner. It has less than 5,000 miles on it, looks new, and has been parked, covered, and in a nice garage since 1994. The tires were barely low on air even. It was parked due to the owners health issues and he finally decided to part with it. Here is what I know. The tank and carbs supposidly were drained dry before storage. The tank had a lot of rust, so I got a new one off of ebay. The engine cranks over fine and I have service records showing it was well taken care of before storage. I noticed that mice have chewed some wiring and the front caliper was stuck. I would also assume that I should replace the tires due to their age...? Other than replacing all fluids, filters, and plugs, what else should I have done? Also, I don't feel comfortable doing all this work. Of course, I want the work done right, but without getting taken. I live in Mathews County. The closest Honda dealer is in Newport News, but I am sure they will charge a premium for all work done. Could anyone recommend not only what I should have done, but who I should have to do it. I don't mind a local mechanics or small repair shops if you guys can recommend a good one. I look forward to any and all advice and help any of you can give me. I am looking for to getting to ride this beauty!

Last edited by kmorgan77 on Mon May 19, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Service Information Help

Postby redial » Mon May 19, 2014 8:21 pm

First of all, welcome to this site and welcome to GW.

Do not be too wary of getting the hands dirty, and doing the work, as there are many knowledgeable people on this site, and if you get stuck, I am sure someone will be able to unravel your problem. The advantage of this is that you learn about your bike, and if something should go wrong, you have an idea of how to tackle it , rather than paying good money that you could use on something for your GW and yourself. There are a number of DIY on this site, and if it is not here, then there are some other sites that someone may point you to get to the problems.

The first things to tackle are fluids, including brakes; belts; and tyres. You may need some Seafoam for your crankcase if it has been sitting that long, just to start the cleaning process.

Have a happy day, and have fun with your GW.

We love pictures - hint hint!
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue May 20, 2014 6:59 am

Number one priority for a wing that has sat that long is timing belts. Mileage means nothing in this case. After sitting for long periods the cords inside the belts get stiff and will break. Inspecting the belts will reveal no visible problems. Replace!
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:24 am

Kmorgan77,

Welcome to the forum. You have certainly come to a great place to get info on your bike.

I learned something new today, there is a North, VA. I have ridden down Rt 14 but missed the sign I guess.

Now I have to be honest, I ride a GL1800 and know nothing about the earlier Wings. So I can't offer much advice. I do want to warn you of a potential problem with service and that is many Honda dealers will not normally work on a bike more than 10 years old. There are a couple reason, one is there techs are too young and don't know much about older bikes and second, working on older bikes can result in accidentally breaking stuff while trying to fix something else plus older Wings have been modified by original and subsequent owners to the point some dealers are afraid to touch them. I experienced this with my bone stock 81 CBX all the time.

I am searching my records looking for the name and phone number of a person who used to do a lot of work on Wings but have not found it yet. This person is in the western part of Richmond, VA, which may be too far away.

Another thought occurs to me. The GWRRA has a lot of members around VA and many have been members for many years and have ridden many older Wings. You might want to find a local chapter and start attending meetings as some of these guys are great at working on Wings. If you need more info you can PM for phone number and email.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Wed May 21, 2014 6:30 am

Hello KMorgan and welcome to the website from the U.P. of Michigan. First, congratulations on your new to you Wing. As Harvey said this would be the perfect time for you to learn the intricacies of your bike and we are always here to answer any questions you might have. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. I know I take great pride in working on my Wing and doing it right. If you are not mechanical, which there is nothing wrong with that, then you will have to find someone you can depend upon in your area. It will not be easy with the wiring problem, so make sure the tech is highly recommended. If you do decide to tackle the project, take LOTS of pictures. You may help someone else who has that same problem. Ride safe.
Proud member Patriot Guard

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Thu May 22, 2014 7:29 am

kmorgan77, Check for a PM!

harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Return to “Goldwing Chat”