iPhone mount & cirarette lighter on GL1200A

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
mncowboy969
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

iPhone mount & cirarette lighter on GL1200A

Postby mncowboy969 » Wed May 21, 2014 3:40 pm

Howdy,

I'm new to biking and just got a 1985 GL1200A, and am already loving it! :) I have 2 questions I'd like to ask:

1. I'd like to mount my 4GS iphone that has an otter cover on it. I'm not finding any easy solutions, so does anyone know of a good, and semi-inexpensive mount that is safe (won't drop the phone)?

2. I'm concerned about using the cigarette lighter on the bike to charge my phone. I plugged in a phone mount I use in my truck, that has a charging cord and also sends an FM signal to the radio to play tunes from the phone onto the radio. After having it plugged in for less than a minute, it started smoking! LMAO I'm not sure if the GL1200A lighter had more amps than it oculd handle, or what, but it almost fried it! I don't want my cell phone fried! Any thoughts, experiences, suggestions?

Hope these aren't too stupid of questions, as I'm a noob to riding. But, found this site when trying to find out why I was having a tough time getting the bike into neutral, and there were some great suggestions on here (adding seafoam to the oil, ride lightly for 100 miles with lots of shifting, change oil) and the results were very positive and helpful! So, thanks in advance to any and all responses!

1985 GL1200A Aspencade

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: iPhone mount & cirarette lighter on GL1200A

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 21, 2014 3:44 pm

mncowboy969 wrote:Howdy,

I'm new to biking and just got a 1985 GL1200A, and am already loving it! :) I have 2 questions I'd like to ask:

1. I'd like to mount my 4GS iphone that has an otter cover on it. I'm not finding any easy solutions, so does anyone know of a good, and semi-inexpensive mount that is safe (won't drop the phone)?

2. I'm concerned about using the cigarette lighter on the bike to charge my phone. I plugged in a phone mount I use in my truck, that has a charging cord and also sends an FM signal to the radio to play tunes from the phone onto the radio. After having it plugged in for less than a minute, it started smoking! LMAO I'm not sure if the GL1200A lighter had more amps than it oculd handle, or what, but it almost fried it! I don't want my cell phone fried! Any thoughts, experiences, suggestions?

Hope these aren't too stupid of questions, as I'm a noob to riding. But, found this site when trying to find out why I was having a tough time getting the bike into neutral, and there were some great suggestions on here (adding seafoam to the oil, ride lightly for 100 miles with lots of shifting, change oil) and the results were very positive and helpful! So, thanks in advance to any and all responses!

My wife uses this on her motorcycle to hold her phone, and it works well:

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-X-Grip- ... ingdocs-20

As for the smoking adapter - was it the adapter that was smoking, or was it the 12 volt socket?

mncowboy969
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: iPhone mount & cirarette lighter on GL1200A

Postby mncowboy969 » Wed May 21, 2014 3:49 pm

Thank you on the iphone holder! I've been searching high and low, and couldn't find one that made sense, and less than $100. Must have been using the wrong search words! :)

For the cigarette lighter, it was the adapter that was smoking, not the cigarette lighter.
1985 GL1200A Aspencade

Return to “Goldwing Chat”