Firearm transport

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Flyn Tiger
Motorcycle: Black 2002 GL1800 w/ABS

Firearm transport

Postby Flyn Tiger » Sat May 24, 2014 8:38 am

I will be making a trip at the end of July through the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio. I have a Louisiana CCP and these states do not honor it. Laws are vague on transport of a firearm on a bike so I was wondering if any if you could help me out that carry. I have a gun safe that I can carry in the trunk and was thinking about putting the mag with ammo in the locking compartment on the fairing. If I were to be pulled over, do any of you know if I would be legal or not? As I said laws on motorcycle transport with a firearm are not real clear. Any info on this subject or websites that I can go to would be appreciated.

Thank you and have agreat Memorial Day weekend,
Flyn Tiger

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Re: Firearm transport

Postby Overdog » Sat May 24, 2014 12:01 pm

I'll start by saying that some states require the gun and ammo be locked in SEPARATE compartments.....and magazines must be empty. (I encounter this when I go to shoot IDPA matches in Ohio...like I'll be doing tomorrow...my Pa CCW is not valid there)

Here's place to start looking for info http://www.handgunlaw.us/

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat May 24, 2014 1:33 pm

Your LA Permit(s) Honored In:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
According to http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry ... _maps.html
Not sure where you got your info but, according to the above, all the states you listed honor you LA CCP!???
Also, when seconds count, help is usually minutes away. Having a weapon locked away and a mag else where that needs to be loaded would be like being unarmed, if you need it!!!!!!!

Flyn Tiger
Motorcycle: Black 2002 GL1800 w/ABS

Postby Flyn Tiger » Sat May 24, 2014 4:48 pm

Tfdeputydawg, After I wrote this I went back to usa carry and saw that the info had been updated. Going to make sure CC is ok while on the bike and in restaurants and such. Im like you having things apart like that is like not being armed at all. May just have to take my chances and make sure I don't get pulled over. Thank you for your reply.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 27, 2014 11:03 am

Other options are to get an out-of-state permit from states that will issue it - Florida is one, I know Pennsylvania did, I don't know if they still do. That widens the number of states (due to reciprocal agreements) in which you are legal to carry.

This is also a good reference: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/2014-tra ... fty-states

Return to “Goldwing Chat”