First Goldwing

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

First Goldwing

Postby Goldan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:57 pm

In 1981 I had a neighbor who loved dirt bike riding and went to a locale Honda dealer to pick up some parts for his bike. While he was making his purchase I was eyeing up the bikes on the showroom floor, one of which was a 1981 Honda Goldwing. I fell in love with it - at the ripe old age of 13. I have had a few bikes over the years since then, cruisers mainly, everything from Yamaha's, to Suzuki's, to my current Kawasaki Vulcan. Just the other day - at the ripe old age of 46 I bought my first "wing" - a 1981 GL1100. It's not perfect, needs calipers rebuilt, right front fork is leaking, slight cosmetic work and other odds and ends - but I couldn't pass it up. It took me back a few years. It has almost 49000 miles on it. I am not a mechanic - don't claim to be, and honestly the prospects of restoring a bike is a bit intimidating because up until now I would rather ride than repair - but I figured I would just go for it and so far I have enjoyed the learning curve. For me, it is a labor of love. I am not sure if I am preserving the bike or the bike is preserving me - either way - I am enjoying the process. I now have boys of my own - the youngest, who happens to be a year younger than I was when I fell in love with the Goldwing loves the bike too. He swears it's way cooler than my much newer Vulcan. Maybe he won't have to wait as long as I did to own one :D This sight is great and I'm glad I found it. Looking forward to learning some things and being pat of the community.

Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: First Goldwing

Postby Mag » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:03 pm

Welcome in Gold, and hope you enjoy the new ride. I just let go of a Vulcan 88 to get back in to "wing"ing and hope I never leave. I am also thinking maybe a second so I can ride one and fix up the other, and then alternate, but then that means more "CyleMax" money (you will learn who that is if you do not already).

Enjoy your process!

Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: First Goldwing

Postby wally » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:07 am

Welcome! make that restoration a family project that will make Wingers out of them all.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”