How to tether a medium dog (40 lbs.) to a GW Trike

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
toy
Motorcycle: 2009 Goldwing/Roadsmith GL1800 Trike

How to tether a medium dog (40 lbs.) to a GW Trike

Postby toy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:39 pm

I am looking for ways to haul my dog safely on my GW trike.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: How to tether a medium dog (40 lbs.) to a GW Trike

Postby redial » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:54 am

I have seen a trike with a "crate" bolted to one of the rear mudguards/fenders. I would be looking to decrease the airflow through the crate so that the airflow was not that great/grate :roll: on the dog. Probably some clear perspex over some of the holes which could be removed if necessary, say with wing nuts.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:48 am

This would be involved, but find a way to remove the back trunk, and then put a dog carrier off the back seat. Hard to work with medium sized dogs on the bikes, but there must be a solution.

Not the same but sorta, we were in our cage driving north, and this truck pulled on to the freeway towing a wire cage with a goat in it, not a happy goat.....ears a flappin, etc., etc.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:18 pm

Of course there are trailers that are made for dogs, small horses, and other animals that could also address the issue. Having pulled trailers with dogs, you just need to make sure that there is plenty of softness in the suspension, or lay down some foam for them to ride on. The ride in the trailer is not quite as comfortable as you are.

This sunk home to me when I was driving a car pulling a trailer with four dogs in the trailer, and we came across a creek crossing (this is in the Outback), and I hit it at about 100km/h (about 100 MPH), and all six wheels left the road as it was not signposted. As I crested the lip on the other side of the creek the dogs let out a chorus of groans. I stopped at the first opportunity, and let them out for a walk, but then I had the job of getting them back into the trailer - not fun! They all wanted to ride up front with me - I wonder why :?:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:15 pm

I've seen small dogs on carriers on a bike, but for a 40 lb dog I'd want to have him in a trailer, which I have also seen before.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:16 pm

I believe on this site, there was a guy that had a custom trailer for his dog, and it looked pretty slick. I would have to look for it, but that could be a good idea.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:48 pm

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:54 am

Do they make helmets and goggles for dogs?
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:14 am

Fiberthree wrote:Do they make helmets and goggles for dogs?

Absolutely they do. They make just about everything you can imagine, and sell it - for a price.....
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:05 am

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:45 am

My dog doesn't have the temperment to ride along. She's awesome in a car, but I don't think she'd do well on the bike.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:46 pm

urbanmadness wrote:My dog doesn't have the temperment to ride along. She's awesome in a car, but I don't think she'd do well on the bike.

YOU WILL BE SURPRISED at her reaction once she gets a taste of all that fresh air and it's new aromas.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:36 pm

toy wrote:I am looking for ways to haul my dog safely on my GW trike.

If you ride one-up, maybe tether the pooch to the passenger seat with a short leash?
One bad point of a box in place of the top trunk. It's higher than where you sit and "IF" you go down, that higher area can catapult him a bit more than you off your seat.
When we're riding two-up we have a trailer with the pet carrier attached where a cooler would go. He's now good with that.
The first time I wanted to take Bailey (37 lb beagle-border collie) 'on the bike' ride, while on the center stand I had him on the passenger seat. Coaxed him to turn in place several times so he gets the feel of a small space, soft seat and for my benefit of knowing he's safe there. I then coaxed him to put his paw on the side saddlebag where I promptly scolded him. On the third coaxing, he learned to not do it. Same for the passenger seat back rest.

The first time on the road I sat on the leash only allowing enough slack for him to JUST poke his head past my ribs. Pooches have the bad habit of sticking there nose as far as possible and sometimes beyond there planted paws.
Bailey once in a while slips a paw off the seat but he's balanced with most of this weight on his rear haunches. He gets excited on passing cats and dogs but never moves, just poised and looks. Few days ago ride we passed a German Shepard being walked. Another bike rider was 1/4 block ahead of us but that Shepard didn't bark. When he seen Bailey on the bike, man did he go nuts. Dog envy? :P
I'll go into a store, tell him to Sit/Stay and I watch him. He sits proper in the passenger seat even when people pass by the bike. Bailey is docile enough to not bark & bite unless cornered or antagonized. (shweeew)

Good Luck, pooch will love you for the rides.

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”